PDA

View Full Version : Suspension tools - punches, dies, bushings, etc.

turboICE
10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
I seem to live in a black hole of tool places that are willing to deal with retail (actually just about anything I need for the race car is impossible for me to find locally) - anyone have a good online source that I can get punches and bushings for pressing suspension compenents for putting sphericals in?

MMiskoe
10-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Try McMaster.com They are an industrial supply company w/ just about anything you could ask for. Similar to Grainger and MSC Industrial Supply which would be my next choices. All of them are a bit more money than any retail place since they ship things fast (I had to wait until Saturday morning once for a 7 ton scale, since it was 5:30pm on Thursday when I called).

I've noticed that Sears online stuff is a bit more detailed than what you will find at the store.

For bearing pressing operations what's wrong w/ the set of 1/2 drive sockets? Some of the big ones you might need to get up into a 3/4 drive.

turboICE
10-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Doh! :bash_1_: Cant believe I din't think of the old stand bys that always have what I need when I can't find it anywhere else - need to just put them at the top of my list (grainger and mcmaster).

True enough on the sockets as punches which I have used before as punches as well as bearing/race dies. But the problem always arises with supporting the part and allowing space for pressing out underneat the punch so my thought would be that at least a bushing or die (not sure which is the correct term) would be the proper way to go about raising the part and guiding the old bushing out.

And the TC rods really look like I should be using some tools made for keeping everything in line in the press.