PDA

View Full Version : Brakes on 1983 RX-7

RLEKUN17
10-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Bought me a clean 1983 RX-7 for $300 with strong drivetrain and clean leather interior. Gonna be my winter hobby and street fun machine.

One of the front brake calipers was "frozen". When I went to remove it, after removing the lower the lower bolt, the caliper swings up freely but cant be removed from the caliper/pad frame. Even after some torch work and hammer smacks it won't slide away from the frame. Its not threaded to the frame right? The fact that it is stuck is why the caliper was frozen right? Ive never seen this before.....

Marcus Miller
10-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by RLEKUN17@Oct 3 2005, 09:18 AM
Bought me a clean 1983 RX-7 for $300 with strong drivetrain and clean leather interior. Gonna be my winter hobby and street fun machine.

One of the front brake calipers was "frozen". When I went to remove it, after removing the lower the lower bolt, the caliper swings up freely but cant be removed from the caliper/pad frame. Even after some torch work and hammer smacks it won't slide away from the frame. Its not threaded to the frame right? The fact that it is stuck is why the caliper was frozen right? Ive never seen this before.....

My vote is yes, and keep hammering.

A new frame / cage is pretty cheap, you won't want to reuse that one.

Marcus

dickita15
10-04-2005, 06:45 AM
I would unbolt the two bolts that hold the cage to the strut. they go in from the rear. the bottom one is a bitch to get out on a stock strut, use a thin open end wrench.

RLEKUN17
10-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks to all. I already got the caliper mounting frame off....used my modified, ground down, offset 14mm wrench (cant have an RX-7 without it!)

I'll just by new caliper and frame...figured the frame piece might be hard to find...calipers I have

dickita15
10-04-2005, 02:53 PM
if no one local has a frame come back and post here. they are pretty easy to ship.

Chris Taylor
10-06-2005, 01:52 AM
These things seem to have a problem with that. One of mine does that, and a guy stopped by forever ago asking us about it (still hasn't brought the car over, though). I guess those old single piston calipers aren't all good. :D