PDA

View Full Version : Will Red Line diff. fluid ruin brake pads?

Ben 84 RX-7
10-02-2005, 09:46 AM
I was welding a bracket on my shock support for my '84 RX-7 and blew a tiny pinhole through the axle. The axle was standing upright so the fluid started squirting out. Before I could lay the axle down, it sprayed all over my left rear disc and caliper. I know I have to clean the entire thing thoroughly with Brake Cleaner before I go on track. Do I have to replace the pads now? Can they be cleaned?

Thanks!

Eric Parham
10-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Honestly, it all depends on the pad material. I'd replace them unless you've got a lot of extra track time to figure out if they're okay. If you do try to clean them, suggest lots of brake cleaner folloed by 45 minutes in the toaster oven followed by more brake clean, and then try to split the affected pads to one on each rear wheel to lessen any effect. You might also contact the manufacturer directly, particularly if it's a race pad.

lateapex911
10-02-2005, 10:18 AM
In my opinion, if you wipe it off immediately, then soak a rag in brake cleaner and wipe it again, then spray it down with brake clean and place a thick towel folded over with weights on top on the pads and let it sit for a bit to absorb the moisture, no.

Ben 84 RX-7
10-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Oct 2 2005, 02:18 PM
In my opinion, if you wipe it off immediately, then soak a rag in brake cleaner and wipe it again, then spray it down with brake clean and place a thick towel folded over with weights on top on the pads and let it sit for a bit to absorb the moisture, no.

They are stock Mazda pads...only running race pads on the front. I think I'll just replace them to play it safe. Jake, did you get my email about Lime Rock?

lateapex911
10-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Stock pads? You're right, play it safe..get a set of Hawk blacks, or whatever your choice is.

Email?? uh......yup...in the deleted file. oops! Responding now. Sorry!