PDA

View Full Version : Camber plates?

Knestis
09-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Anyone have recommendations for adjustable camber plate parts that we can use on the MkIII?
Thx.
K

Dave Zaslow
09-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Kirk,

The A3 takes the same plate as the A2 chassis

I used Shine's plates, welded in, although they can also be bolted. In both cases the strut bearing tower has to be cut. The Ground Control also have a great reputation. The Eurosport is a copy of Dick's but I have heard the bearing carrier has the snap ring acting against the load, rather than the body that holds it.

Dave Z

Originally posted by Knestis@Sep 29 2005, 11:28 PM
Anyone have recommendations for adjustable camber plate parts that we can use on the MkIII?
Thx.
K

RSTPerformance
09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
We have shines plates in the Audi's, However we have new fancy camber/caster plates that we will be installing this winter...

I would suggest that you weld in whatever you get, do not trust bolting them in... JMO based on unfortunate experiences... :bash_1_:

Raymond

Knestis
09-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Dave - did you raise the plate up at all, to gain room underneath for strut height? I have off-the-shelf KONI yellows that fit the stock strut-top bearings: What is necessary to connect the strut top to something like Dick's plates?

K

Bildon
09-30-2005, 05:59 PM
These are new. Going to have somebody evaluate them and then I'll post the results here for all to see.

Dave Zaslow
10-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Kirk,

I'm using racing Bilstein's which are short compared to a stock shock. By the time you take away the thickness of the stock VW bearing carrier assembly (sunk into the tower), and you add the plate thickness, I doubt you lose much height. The VR6 strutbearings shown here http://rapidparts.com/rpeShowImage.asp?img=052-498329.JPG show the bearing way down. You could fab spacers to move the plate higher. Dick may sell the mounting plates separatly so you could use stacked multiples to gain height as long as you then progressivly cut away the centers. There was an outfit (now gone) called Pulsar Racing that had these for A1's. Eurosport sell spacers for their plates.

The top of the tower is not that easy to cut. Not having a plasma cutter, I hacked away with a sawzall.

Now, if you are still going to rally as well, then I would look to keep at least the stock height and travel.

I have tried to attach a pic of the plate, did it work? If not go to srsvw.com and click on parts.

The strut just needs a sleeve to match its outer diameter to the inner diameter of the bearing. Dick will supply this if you remember to ask when you order. Then it is just a nylock nut on top.

I keep referring to Dick Shine, but you really want to talk to Eli.

Not sure if I answered your specific question. If not, ask again.

Dave Z

Originally posted by Knestis@Sep 30 2005, 12:51 PM
Dave - did you raise the plate up at all, to gain room underneath for strut height? I have off-the-shelf KONI yellows that fit the stock strut-top bearings: What is necessary to connect the strut top to something like Dick's plates?

K

Dave Zaslow
10-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Bill,

Now you tell us?

What is the bolt circle on the mounting plate?

What are the circular bits shown below the assembly?

In the interests of nobody in particular here is a pic of the Ground Control Plate.

Dave Z

Originally posted by Bildon@Sep 30 2005, 05:59 PM
These are new. Going to have somebody evaluate them and then I'll post the results here for all to see.

Bildon
10-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Dave Zaslow@Oct 1 2005, 08:10 AM
What is the bolt circle on the mounting plate?
What are the circular bits shown below the assembly?

Need to get one in house to check it out. I'll publish my findings thereafter.

Bildon
10-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Bildon@Oct 2 2005, 11:13 AM

Update...
I couldn't convince the manufacturer that there would be interest in their camber plates for SCCA club racing so they scrapped plans to make them. :bash_1_:

Who wants camber plates? I'm seriously considering manufacturing our own simple, affordable alum. plate with spherical top mount for IT / Prod / Touring Car type racing. Something that would be much less than a Ground Control camber plate.

Anyone want to offer CAD services? I can get them machined very cheaply.

Knestis
10-23-2005, 08:12 PM
I'd of course be interested. IF I still had Autocad or good ol' Claris CAD I could do the drawings but all I have is the freebie from MachineShop.com

K

euro
10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Bildon@Oct 2 2005, 10:13 AM

I'd definetly be up for a set. I am about to purchase the ground controls so I'll hold off to see if this gets off the ground.

(I've been buying the 20mm spacers from you the past 2 weeks)

/Greg

Dave Zaslow
10-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Bill,

I do have autocad and microstation (architectural versions). Do you just need a fancy drawing or something special that will drive a CNC machine?

Dave Z

Bildon
10-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Dave Zaslow@Oct 26 2005, 07:40 AM
I do have autocad and microstation (architectural versions). Do you just need a fancy drawing or something special that will drive a CNC machine?

Dave, well I must confess that my machinist skills are limited to the old fashioned by hand type machines and that I'm not sure what a modern shop needs to program their CNC mill.

Can they take any standard CAD file and easily generate the program from it or would we need to give them a special format?
Bottom line is that I was told if I provided a CAD file (unspecified) that they could pop it into their software and generate a prototype quickly and cheaply. I should have asked but I asssumed any of the common CAD file formats were easily read into a CNC app and generated the cutting program auto-magically. How's it work ? :blink:

I'm going to start another thread here and get a Poll going on VW camber plates.

Dave Zaslow
10-27-2005, 07:59 AM
Bill,

I don't know nothin' about birthin' no CNC camber plates. Just a dumb architect who can make electrons show up on certain locations of a screen to represent lines and then hit the print button. :o

Dave Z

Originally posted by Bildon@Oct 26 2005, 10:42 PM
Dave, well I must confess that my machinist skills are limited to the old fashioned by hand type machines and that I'm not sure what a modern shop needs to program their CNC mill.

Can they take any standard CAD file and easily generate the program from it or would we need to give them a special format?
Bottom line is that I was told if I provided a CAD file (unspecified) that they could pop it into their software and generate a prototype quickly and cheaply. I should have asked but I asssumed any of the common CAD file formats were easily read into a CNC app and generated the cutting program auto-magically. How's it work ? :blink:

I'm going to start another thread here and get a Poll going on VW camber plates.

x-ring
10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Bildon@Oct 26 2005, 08:42 PM

It depends on what CAM package they're using. The most common is MasterCAM, and it will read just about anything. AutoCAD is pretty universal. If your design is 'flat', in other words all of the features are straight in the Z axis, a two dimensional drawing is all they need. If your design has tapered holes (for example), or steps as you go from bottom to top they will need a 3-D drawing. I'm not explaining this very well, but I hope you get the idea. My plates (from GC) could easily be made from two dimensional drawing.

You pretty much got it right on how the CAM system works. It sucks up the CAD file, the programmer tells it stuff such as how thick the material is and what kind of material it is and the CAM system pukes out the machine code. PFM.