PDA

View Full Version : New Snell ratings?

C. Ludwig
09-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Anyone know when the SN05 helmets will be available? Or are they already?

planet6racing
09-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Sep 28 2005, 12:55 PM
Anyone know when the SN05 helmets will be available? Or are they already?

I'm reasonably certain that the helmets should go on sale about mid-October. I think the SA05 spec was released to begin testing in August and manufacturers were not allowed to start selling 05's until mid October.

Remember, SA95 helmets can be used through 06 (they are no longer accepted after 1/1/07).

C. Ludwig
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks. I did think this was the last year for the 95s. I'll be looking for a new one anyway. Thanks Bill!

lateapex911
09-28-2005, 09:27 PM
There was a GREAT article in a motorcycle magazine about the relationship of the helmets rating, and it's actual effectiveness in an impact.

The net net on it was that you might want to think seriously about what the statistical liklihood of your potential crashes is, and buy accordingly.

I will try to locate it. I can scan it if anyone is interested. If I had read this before I bought, I might have done things differently.

Found it. it is Motorcyclist, June 05.

I wonder if Baker has read this and what he thinks.....

C. Ludwig
09-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Sep 28 2005, 09:27 PM
There was a GREAT article in a motorcycle magazine about the relationship of the helmets rating, and it's actual effectiveness in an impact.

The net net on it was that you might want to think seriously about what the statistical liklihood of your potential crashes is, and buy accordingly.

I will try to locate it. I can scan it if anyone is interested. If I had read this before I bought, I might have done things differently.

Found it. it is Motorcyclist, June 05.

I wonder if Baker has read this and what he thinks.....

Since I won't bother to find the article and read it can you fill me in on your take?

1stGenBoy
09-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Commercial Posts are NOT acceptable here. Many of the members work for other racing retailers. This is the first friendly warning. Subsequent commercial posts will be delt with differently. :bash_1_:

Feel free to check out our advertising rates if you'd like to communicate your services to the IT community.

- Edited by Webmaster

gsbaker
09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Sep 28 2005, 09:27 PM
...I wonder if Baker has read this and what he thinks.....

Negative.

JamesB
09-29-2005, 10:35 AM
I dindt bother waiting, knowing how badly I sweat out a helmet I will be lucky to get 5 years on my new helmet. My last one was only 3 years old and already wasnt good for more then autocross use. and I only used to for 3 years of AX and a few track days.

mgyip
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Using a balaclava helps to keep your helmet a bit fresher b/c you sweat into the balaclava instead of into your helmet liner. I recently started wearing a balaclava with my antique SA95 helmet - let's just say that the odors are less than before but it's like wearing a miniature oven on my head...

JamesB
09-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Ewww 10 years of funk? im amazed it doesnt drive the car for you!!! Guess youll be investing in a new one this winter.

Z3_GoCar
09-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Sep 29 2005, 02:08 AM
Since I won't bother to find the article and read it can you fill me in on your take?

I've read it and the Synopsis is....

Increasing energy requirements make the helmts stiffer than they really need to be resulting in higher gee loadings. Their example a dot certified helmet might deliver an average of 198 while a hard Snell 00 fiberglass might be up around 235 average. The main arguement is that Snell should also work on reducing gee loadings in addition to higher energy. I think the 05 rating is done for two hits that would pass the 00 rating. Fancy fiberglass helmets that claim delamination as a way to reduce gee loads don't work. Also discussed was surviability of head trama and combined head and body trama with age related factors. A side point was that Snell has become a marketing tool and the periodic upgrades are simply to out mode the old equiptment.

James

ps. I'm in the market for a new helmet too, so I found this article :119:

mgyip
09-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Sep 29 2005, 11:40 AM
Ewww 10 years of funk? im amazed it doesnt drive the car for you!!!

I'm thinking about keeping it in the car so that it'll repel the mice...at least I'm not as bad as a certain former CRX driver who works for a local fabricator. He came into our shop to purchase a new helmet this year. Since he was purchasing an SA00 with the SA05 just around the corner, I had to ask "Why?". He was a bit coy about his response up to the point that his cat had been using it as a litterbox over the winter
:119: :119:

I have a cat myself but would have had to use restraint to keep from making Kung Pao Kitty out of him had that happened.

Out of curiosity, what does cat pee do to a Snell rating?

AntonioGG
09-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Z3_GoCar@Sep 29 2005, 03:59 PM
I've read it and the Synopsis is....

Increasing energy requirements make the helmts stiffer than they really need to be resulting in higher gee loadings. Their example a dot certified helmet might deliver an average of 198 while a hard Snell 00 fiberglass might be up around 235 average. The main arguement is that Snell should also work on reducing gee loadings in addition to higher energy. I think the 05 rating is done for two hits that would pass the 00 rating. Fancy fiberglass helmets that claim delamination as a way to reduce gee loads don't work. Also discussed was surviability of head trama and combined head and body trama with age related factors. A side point was that Snell has become a marketing tool and the periodic upgrades are simply to out mode the old equiptment.

James

ps. I'm in the market for a new helmet too, so I found this article :119:

Note that the M helmets are different from ours. I think what the article is essentially saying is that helmets more like SA helmets would result in less injuries to motorcyclists. If you press on the shell of an M helmet and one of our helmets, you'll see the difference. My Simpson Voyager has a soft shell...you can really see it when you have to drill the holes for the Hans...it deforms if pressed hard. This is why you should discard it after any impact...the shell could look perfect but the foam inside will be deformed and you won't know it. So ours are designed for a single blunt impact. The M helmets are designed for multiple blunt impacts (like a curb). One other thing to do is to get the good rollcage padding, the hard BSR stuff, not the soft pipe covering that most people use.

Z3_GoCar
09-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by AntonioGG@Sep 29 2005, 09:34 AM
Note that the M helmets are different from ours. .... So ours are designed for a single blunt impact. The M helmets are designed for multiple blunt impacts (like a curb). One other thing to do is to get the good rollcage padding, the hard BSR stuff, not the soft pipe covering that most people use.

Good point, one must remember this is written for a motorcycle publication. But I wonder that in some of the more violent crashes that the driver hit's their head on the same spot on the cage over and over. I actually think taking multiple hits is a good thing, but not at the expence of increased gee loads. The compairison between a foam hammer and a wooden mallet :bash_1_:

RacerBill
09-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by mgyip@Sep 29 2005, 12:05 PM
I'm thinking about keeping it in the car so that it'll repel the mice...at least I'm not as bad as a certain former CRX driver who works for a local fabricator. He came into our shop to purchase a new helmet this year. Since he was purchasing an SA00 with the SA05 just around the corner, I had to ask "Why?". He was a bit coy about his response up to the point that his cat had been using it as a litterbox over the winter
:119: :119:

I have a cat myself but would have had to use restraint to keep from making Kung Pao Kitty out of him had that happened.

Out of curiosity, what does cat pee do to a Snell rating?

Don't know about cat pee, but I had a friend whose dog used him helmet as a barf bag while he went to dinner!

OG Racing
10-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Speaking of SA2005 helmets, please see our post - http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=6275 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6275)

1stGenBoy
10-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by 1stGenBoy@Sep 29 2005, 12:53 PM
Commercial Posts are NOT acceptable here. Many of the members work for other racing retailers. This is the first friendly warning. Subsequent commercial posts will be delt with differently. :bash_1_:

Feel free to check out our advertising rates if you'd like to communicate your services to the IT community.

- Edited by Webmaster

I'm withdrawing my comments. The webmaster does allow commercial posts here if you are a paid advertiser. This was according to a paid advertiser.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bob

imported_Webmaster
10-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 1stGenBoy@Oct 4 2005, 09:52 AM
Kind of funny that when I post here on this forum for my company it gets deleted but when OG posts it stays up. Whats with that?

Again, they pay for the right to advertise. Commercial ads are not tolerated in the regular forums.
Please help support this forum if you would like to posts ads we'd love to have you.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/Advertise/