PDA

View Full Version : building up an IT7 vs ITA RX-7

ehrstine
09-26-2005, 05:29 PM
I am in a position where I can get a very clean 1985 RX-7 with the 12A motor, rear disc brake package as well as the limited slip differential. The car is only gonna cost me $700.00. I race in the Central Division....does CENDIV have an IT-7 class? If so what is the typical car count?

If I build a car to IT-7 specs will it be reasonably competitive in ITA.

To start I am just plainning on installing the IT-7 suspension kit, braided lines, gut the interior and install the roll cage and racing seat. I will defer the motor rebuild for later...am I missing anything really important??

RP Performance
09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by ehrstine@Sep 26 2005, 09:29 PM
I am in a position where I can get a very clean 1985 RX-7 with the 12A motor, rear disc brake package as well as the limited slip differential. The car is only gonna cost me $700.00. I race in the Central Division....does CENDIV have an IT-7 class? If so what is the typical car count?

To start I am just plainning on installing the IT-7 suspension kit, braided lines, gut the interior and install the roll cage and racing seat. I will defer the motor rebuild for later...am I missing anything really important??

You may want to see if they a Spec RX-7 class also. It will cost a fraction of what a IT car will cost.

lateapex911
09-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ehrstine@Sep 26 2005, 05:29 PM

they are the same...an IT-7 is an ITA RX-7. So you are free to do a lot of things....and you must do a lot of things! There is no suspension "kit"...just follow the rules, talk to the suppliers (G=force engineering ((Jim Susko)), and ISC in Florida (Mike VanSteenburg), and make your decision.

Is it competitive. ?? Uh no...

here's the breakdown
RX-7 -2380 lbs, 130 HP on a GOOD motor on a good day, 102 ft lbs of tq.
Acura - 2480, 150 + hp, 130 + ft lbs tq, and a better suspension/brake package.

with numbers like that, it is no contest. At the ARRCs where it is the best vs the best (and the best RX-7s are really the 'best',) the Integra is an easy 3 or 4 secs a lap faster.

That said, there have been hints of some class overhauling from the ITAC, so stay tuned, it could remain the same, or not.

Either way, building the car to IT7 specs gives you two classes to play in, so your travel options are open.

Speed Raycer
09-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Ditto what was said before.

Just do yourself a favor... don't go out and drop a bunch of coin on 7" wheels yet, just in case ;)

Didn't IT7 get it's start in CenDiv?

sevenracer
09-27-2005, 01:25 PM
maybe you are aware, but Spec7 is different than IT7.

Spec7 is a regional class that has a spec suspension and very limited mods to the car. It's very cheap and can still be fun if other people are running with you, but Spec7 cars are significantly slower than IT7's.

IT7 is a regional class just for 1st gen RX7's prepped to ITA specs. Many more mods allowed, and as said before these mods are very important to be competitive.

I bought a Spec7 car and then converted it to IT7 because no one was running Spec7 in my area.

My advice is to make sure whatever class you choose is active in your region so you'll have people to run with.

dickita15
09-27-2005, 02:08 PM
someone should say it. it is cheaper to buy a car then to build it. that car looks like a clean piece and the price was very good but there is a lot to still do. panhard rod, trilink, heim joints, final drive for the rear. upgraded struts with turnin spacers, trailing link bushings, sway bar and brake ducts for the front. decent shocks all around. Carb, header and exhaust system. ad that to thee safety gear and buying a complete ITA/IT7 car for $3000 to $6000 looks like a good deal

Ron Earp
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Sep 26 2005, 10:22 PM

Is it competitive. ?? Uh no...

I don't know about that. I've watched Ricky Thompson run around in the SE for about a year (long as I've been watching) and he consistently wins IT7 races. And, if you look at the laptimes he is consistently in the top for ITA and mid-pack in many S races. Maybe IT7s are stong in the SE, but the other IT7s drivers in the area run pretty fast too. And it isn't because SE ITA and ITS drivers are slow.

R

dickita15
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
ron
there is no question that the SE IT 7 cars are strong. there is an interesting culture in this group. It is possible that some IT 7 cars are built to pass the accepted tech procedure so they may make a little extra power than a car the is built to pass a full tear down. that is just a hunch

By the way at the ARRC the IT7 cars run 3 or 4 seconds off the ITA pace. Ricky does not run the ARRC but a couple of other guys who run heads up with him do.

crushed
09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by dickita15@Sep 27 2005, 08:09 PM
ron
there is no question that the SE IT 7 cars are strong. there is an interesting culture in this group. It is possible that some IT 7 cars are built to pass the accepted tech procedure so they may make a little extra power than a car the is built to pass a full tear down. that is just a hunch

By the way at the ARRC the IT7 cars run 3 or 4 seconds off the ITA pace. Ricky does not run the ARRC but a couple of other guys who run heads up with him do.

yeah, we all cheat down here in the SE.

wanna see how to build a front running it-7 motor?
http://russmarshall.com/v/cars/it7/rotor/

see if you can find all my cheats, you can tell from the dyno there is something there... :rolleyes:

Ron Earp
09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by dickita15@Sep 27 2005, 08:09 PM
ron

Sort of like those area BMW's that some people keep trying to catch out of home turf at at CMP with a stock cylinder head on the tech table? Read about that in the archives.

Seriously, I sort of doubt the SE IT7 cars are illegal. Just a hunch, I've not been around long, but those guys are a competitive bunch down here and drive well. Ricky's car can be eaten off off and if that level of prep is throughout the car then the car is prepped to the 9s. I've not known him long, but he seems to be a very committed driver with great attention to detail and that would pay off well on the track.

Carry on, didn't know I was jumping into a touchy subject.

R

ddewhurst
09-28-2005, 07:09 AM
ehrstine, ya got a first name ? Where in the CenDiv do you live & plan on driving ? The ITA/7 class HAD been very good in area 4 of the CenDiv. They had their own IT7 Championship series for a couple years. I am from CenDiv area 4 Milwaukee Region & have converted my Spec-7 to ITA/7 & toasted the car at Blackhawk Farms early this summer. Spec-7 is a dead issue in the CenDiv. Building a new ITA/7 building a new car for next year. Looked at a couple of the pre stated $3,000 & they were not what I wanted. Did get some info on a couple $5,000 cars in the area 4 of the CenDiv but because I am kind of pictiular (dumb) I am doing the new car. $700 is a great price for a car that spent it's life in the CenDiv area but it is very rare for one to be rust free on the bottom side. If it's got rust in the areas where the suspensio attaches to the chassis it's not a good car to bui;ld a race car from. My first car was a Wisconsin car 4 $3,200, totally rust free, garaged every winter & never driven in the winter...... As far as what are you missing from your items stated that your going to do to the car at the get go the answer is plenty. The items you listed other than the guted interior would start you towards a Spec-7 car. There is a bunch more to do to be a top ITA/7 car. Example of lap times at Blackhawk Farm (1.9 mile track) are 1:24's for a well preped/driven ITA/7 car & 1:22"s for a well driven Honda CRX car.

Scott, the Spec-7 or SRX7 class was orginated in the SoPac by Mark Holland/Dave Turner in 1994 (?). The folks in Texas like to take credit, but there are wrong. They can take credit for the Spec Miata class & they are correct. The cats in the DC Region are really on top of the Spec-7 class. Bert, are you the stud I met at Grattan a couple years ago during the Pro Spec Miata races ? You with Herr/Wilson & I had my Spec-7 & paddocked with Skirmants.

tdw6974
09-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by rlearp@Sep 27 2005, 06:33 PM
I don't know about that. I've watched Ricky Thompson run around in the SE for about a year (long as I've been watching) and he consistently wins IT7 races. And, if you look at the laptimes he is consistently in the top for ITA and mid-pack in many S races. Maybe IT7s are stong in the SE, but the other IT7s drivers in the area run pretty fast too. And it isn't because SE ITA and ITS drivers are slow.
R

Ron, My thoughts are it really doesn't matter which/who's car runs close or at one track or another. Fact a Legal prepped as allowed by GCr RX-7 (Carb only no Engine management system) is NOT COMPETIVE with a fully Prepped ITA car (enter you choice of make) That is over bored .40, Fuel Injected, and engine fuel/electronic system that only requirement is to fit in the stock box(all of which is perfectly legal per current rules) When I look at our results I look at how did we do against Carbed cars. Just my thoughts. OOps I guess the orginal thread was whether to buy a completed car vrs building own and I guess i would vote for a completed car that can be sorted to your own level of satisfaction and fun requirement :happy204: Have Fun Race save and keep in mind I'm only the truck Driver B)

ddewhurst
09-28-2005, 07:45 PM
***OOps I guess the orginal thread was whether to buy a completed car vrs building own ***

Darn Tom, it's easy to see why your the truck driver. The original subject was not to buy or build. :bash_1_: Back into the truck cab. :P

ScottNutter
09-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Build!, then you cn race while you continue the process.

By the way, the Kia Sporatage front Ring and Pinion (4.77) bolt right in and I got one for $95 to the door from www.car-parts.com

Hillbilly Motorsports.

ehrstine
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
First name is Bill. I live in the Cincy area, am planning on racing mostly at Mid-Ohio, IRP and Nelson Ledges, maybe Putnam Park (NASA) and Beaverun.

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Sep 28 2005, 07:09 AM
ehrstine, ya got a first name ? Where in the CenDiv do you live & plan on driving ? The ITA/7 class HAD been very good in area 4 of the CenDiv. They had their own IT7 Championship series for a couple years. I am from CenDiv area 4 Milwaukee Region & have converted my Spec-7 to ITA/7 & toasted the car at Blackhawk Farms early this summer. Spec-7 is a dead issue in the CenDiv. Building a new ITA/7 building a new car for next year. Looked at a couple of the pre stated $3,000 & they were not what I wanted. Did get some info on a couple $5,000 cars in the area 4 of the CenDiv but because I am kind of pictiular (dumb) I am doing the new car. $700 is a great price for a car that spent it's life in the CenDiv area but it is very rare for one to be rust free on the bottom side. If it's got rust in the areas where the suspensio attaches to the chassis it's not a good car to bui;ld a race car from. My first car was a Wisconsin car 4 $3,200, totally rust free, garaged every winter & never driven in the winter...... As far as what are you missing from your items stated that your going to do to the car at the get go the answer is plenty. The items you listed other than the guted interior would start you towards a Spec-7 car. There is a bunch more to do to be a top ITA/7 car. Example of lap times at Blackhawk Farm (1.9 mile track) are 1:24's for a well preped/driven ITA/7 car & 1:22"s for a well driven Honda CRX car.

Scott, the Spec-7 or SRX7 class was orginated in the SoPac by Mark Holland/Dave Turner in 1994 (?). The folks in Texas like to take credit, but there are wrong. They can take credit for the Spec Miata class & they are correct. The cats in the DC Region are really on top of the Spec-7 class. Bert, are you the stud I met at Grattan a couple years ago during the Pro Spec Miata races ? You with Herr/Wilson & I had my Spec-7 & paddocked with Skirmants.

RLEKUN17
10-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Check the classifieds. My for sale RX-7 spent its street life in Indio, CA. Still for sale near Dayton. Would cost $20K to build.