PDA

View Full Version : LRP Accident

JLawton
09-26-2005, 07:24 AM
My wife caught the end of a story on the news this morning about an accident at LRP this weekend. Needless to say, she's a "little" freaked. Anyone have any details?

Tkczecheredflag
09-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by JLawton@Sep 26 2005, 11:24 AM
My wife caught the end of a story on the news this morning about an accident at LRP this weekend. Needless to say, she's a "little" freaked. Anyone have any details?

Danbury News Times says Adam Zimmerman 36 (doctor) hit a car stopped that had impacted a "wall", ME says head injuries was cause of death. Other driver not named was treated and released. This was an EMRA event.

Let's keep him and his family in our prayers.

dazzlesa
09-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Adam zimmerman was driving at the EMRA EVENT. It was during the 1 hour enduro. he was driving a dsr radical. at aproximatly the 50th minute he crashed with a st-4/ITA integra at the up hill. that is all i know . my condolences go out to his family . rick

Doc Bro
09-26-2005, 09:28 AM
I took the red flag approximately 200 yards from the scene. Adam was driving the Radical and was incredibly fast during the race but was difficult to see. His car struck the silver/black Integra (Brad Rodier??? not sure) at the end of no name just befor the flag station on the uphill. It took the LRP crew about 10 min to get Adam out and it was obvious that he was gravely injured. It was very difficult to watch as a driver and a Doctor and I wished I had gotten the red flag somewhere else.
My deepest condolences to Dr. Zimmerman's family and friends.
My deepest condolences to the racing community as a whole as we are all affected by the loss of one of our own.
Also, condolences to LRP and the EMRA staff.

Rob Breault
#36 BMW Z3 ITA

Jake
09-26-2005, 09:52 AM
http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-limer...headlines-local (http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-limerockfatal0926.artsep26,0,7595571.story?coll=hc-headlines-local)

Doc Bro
09-26-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry Brad Rodier was not the other driver. My mistake.
Rob

Ben 84 RX-7
09-26-2005, 11:07 AM
My rear suspension broke on my RX-7 and I wasn't able to make the field for the enduro. I heard what happened after I left on the radio. During the sprint practice and qualifying, I was surprised numerous times by spec racers that were on track with us. They are quite a bit lower in your mirrors and very quick. I didn't see what happened, so I am not pretending to be an expert, but it seems like an accident between an open cockpit spec racer and a full bodied car seems very dangerous for the driver of the open car. Perhaps they should run with open wheel? They are similar in size with the open wheel cars and much quicker than our full bodied cars (in small bore anyway). With the low number of entries in open wheel, it just seems like they would be a better fit there. What do you guys think?

RP Performance
09-26-2005, 11:52 AM
They are quite a bit lower in your mirrors and very quick. I didn't see what happened, so I am not pretending to be an expert, but it seems like an accident between an open cockpit spec racer and a full bodied car seems very dangerous for the driver of the open car. Perhaps they should run with open wheel? They are similar in size with the open wheels cars and much quicker than our full bodied cars (in small bore anyway). With the low number of entries in open wheel, it just seems like they would be a better fit there. What do you guys think?

[/quote]

I agree 110% the Should never be on the track together.

gsbaker
09-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Also,

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_5ra...26,0,8071.story (http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_5racesep26,0,8071.story)

Bill Miller
09-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Damn, this is the kind of story you never want to read. Thoughts and prayers go out to Dr. Zimmerman's family, as well as to the other driver.

Brett,

I've seen Sports Racers allowed in endurance events at a few tracks. It is w/o a doubt tough to see them when you're in a sedan. Should they not be allowed to run w/ close-wheel cars? I don't know, that's really a tough call.

Gregg,

Your link doesn't work.

gsbaker
09-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Fixed.

Ben 84 RX-7
09-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know Phil Johnson the other driver involved? I wonder how he is handling the whole thing. Anyone who knows Lime Rock knows that section of the track is very tricky. Just look at all the tire marks that curve off to the right after you crest the hill. If someone does know Phil, please let him know that it could have happened to any one of us.

vodomagoo
09-26-2005, 12:42 PM
My friends were at the time trail the day before and I just found out what happened at the race today. It realy is a sad thing to happen, he's a nice guy met him at beaverrun with emra. Ive been on the track im my bimmer with open wheel cars with emra before and other spec racers in time trial pratice, never seen an incident but you have to watch out for them passing you on the straights. He normaly run enduros so I dont think it would have been possiable to run with open wheel cars, I've seen other enduros with radicals running with sedans before as well. It's def a touchy situation for sure

My prayers go out to his family.

RP Performance
09-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller@Sep 26 2005, 04:10 PM
Damn, this is the kind of story you never want to read. Thoughts and prayers go out to Dr. Zimmerman's family, as well as to the other driver.

Brett,

I've seen Sports Racers allowed in endurance events at a few tracks. It is w/o a doubt tough to see them when you're in a sedan. Should they not be allowed to run w/ close-wheel cars? I don't know, that's really a tough call.

Gregg,

Your link doesn't work.

We did the VIR 13 hour race last year and they run the SRF in that event. To be honest it was not good, you really have a had timing seeing them and if you went over the top of one it would not be good.

83rx701
09-26-2005, 01:01 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, crew and the track workers involed.

Lou Iannaccone
NER ITA RX7 #79

theracinglawyer
09-26-2005, 07:05 PM
This morning when a nurse in a doctors office near Allentown asked if I knew Doctor Allen Zimmerman a young racing Doctor I knew something was wrong.

When she told me what was in the news paper I was shocked. He was my friend, we raced together many times.

My condolences to everyone. Family, friends, EMRA, the track workers.

May we all learn something from this tragedy.

Mike Cefalo
the racinglawyer

lateapex911
09-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Wow...so sorry.

i won't comment on the cause as it's not my place, ....it is so sad to lose a fellow racer so close to home. Thankfully there was little in the way of other injuries.

gran racing
09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
This whole thing sucks. I was at the race watching a two of my friends race and didn't participate because my car needed some work and the other reason is simply that I just couldn't afford it. Another friend of mine watched with me as the guy got the backboard put behind him and pulled out of the Radical on a back board. I still can't believe he passed away and am shock about the whole thing.

I've read a few other forums that are quick to jump on top of EMRA for this. Of course it is easy to look back and give opinions. I have to say that everyone that I've met that organizes EMRA are good people and do care about people's safety. If you say otherwise you're full of crap. Does this mean that they AND other clubs are as safe as SCCA? No. Watching the event really made me appreciate SCCA. Again, I'm not comparing SCCA to EMRA rather many other clubs out there including clubs that host HPDEs. It just gave me an appreciation of what we have and may sometimes take for granted. Maybe next time we're riding along during the first lap or cool down lap we show the multiple workers at each station how much we appreciate them just a bit more.

Of course my thoughts go out to both drivers and families. The way I have to view this is that they were doing what they were passionate about and loved. There are worse ways to go.

Knestis
09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
That's just so sad. Obviously, without knowing the details it's difficult to say if it would have helped this one person but PLEASE - buy that head and neck restraint this winter, if you haven't already done so.

K

Jake
09-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Knestis@Sep 26 2005, 11:53 PM
That's just so sad. Obviously, without knowing the details it's difficult to say if it would have helped this one person but PLEASE - buy that head and neck restraint this winter, if you haven't already done so.

K

Does anyone know if he was wearing one?

Doc Bro
09-26-2005, 10:08 PM
After seeing what I saw first hand I have made a resolution to my loved ones. I will not race until I have purchased a nead and neck restraint and I will not start next season without a last will. Please everyone let's learn from this tragedy and take care of ourselves and the people who love us. My life is certainly worth the $850 for a head and neck system.
Rob

Phat-S
09-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Jake
Does anyone know if he was wearing one?

I don't know that it would deter me to know that he were and still suffered a BSF or other type head/neck trauma - we owe it to ourselves to take as much risk out of the equation as far as safety is concerned.

I saw the news of this posted on another board. Its not someone I know and not a series with which I am familiar but its simply sad to hear, sad for his family, friends, workers, folks that shared the track, the other driver - just a very sad occurance. Best wishes to all and I guess we can always hope that out of such tragic events, it gets one or two folks to buy/rent/lease before their next outing.

Whip
09-27-2005, 10:01 PM
They are quite a bit lower in your mirrors and very quick. I didn't see what happened, so I am not pretending to be an expert, but it seems like an accident between an open cockpit spec racer and a full bodied car seems very dangerous for the driver of the open car. Perhaps they should run with open wheel? They are similar in size with the open wheels cars and much quicker than our full bodied cars (in small bore anyway). With the low number of entries in open wheel, it just seems like they would be a better fit there. What do you guys think?

I agree 110% the Should never be on the track together.

[/quote]

All the spec racers did in fact have their own race with the formula Vs during the sprint races. The big bore open wheel cars also had their own heat of the sprint race. It was only during the 1hr enduro that drivers of dissimilar make and model choose to run together as is often done at other like events such as LeMans. They had all run very comfortably together for every bit of 50 mins out of the hour before this unfortunate event occurred. A very sad outcome from an otherwise great day of racing.

Ben 84 RX-7
09-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Whip@Sep 28 2005, 02:01 AM
All the spec racers did in fact have their own race with the formula Vs during the sprint races. The big bore open wheel cars also had their own heat of the sprint race. It was only during the 1hr enduro that drivers of dissimilar make and model choose to run together as is often done at other like events such as LeMans. They had all run very comfortably together for every bit of 50 mins out of the hour before this unfortunate event occurred. A very sad outcome from an otherwise great day of racing.

I guess I was referring to the fact that they were out there with us in small bore practice and qualifying for the sprint races. There weren't any Formula Vee's or open wheel cars of any kind...they had their own practice. Maybe they could practice with the open wheel group for the sprints. Then the only time they would be exposed to the larger heavier sedans is during the enduros. Just an idea. I'd like to hear what some Spec racer driver's think. It would be good to hear their ideas.

lateapex911
09-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Well, I don't know if the mix of vehicles had anything to do with the incident as I have no real report on the factors involved, but....

First, no matter the cause of the incident or his death, we should all turn to ourselves and ask if we are using the resources afforded us in the safest manner.

>Have we taken advantage of available safety gear to the greatest degree possible?
>Does the helmet fit well?
>Do we wear a Head an Neck restraint? In the infamous words of Baker, "Any H&NR is better than NO H&NR"... and high performance models sell cheaply now.
>Are we comfortable in the way our sanctioning body staffs the track and organizes run groups?

I have always felt that disasters like this are the result of a combination of factors, and that if ONE factor is changed, so is the outcome. So, lets all make sure our own checklist has been attended to.

That said, I could see the enduro car combo as being one of those things that just asks for trouble, whether it has anything to do with the tragedy or not..

Very high speed differetial (56 second laps vs 1:12 laps) is tough to deal with, and the smaller than Spec Racer visibility shadow is just too small and easy to miss.

Again, change just one factor and the results change dramaticaly.

supersmile
09-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Sep 28 2005, 03:05 AM
I guess I was referring to the fact that they were out there with us in small bore practice and qualifying for the sprint races. There weren't any Formula Vee's or open wheel cars of any kind...they had their own practice. Maybe they could practice with the open wheel group for the sprints. Then the only time they would be exposed to the larger heavier sedans is during the enduros. Just an idea. I'd like to hear what some Spec racer driver's think. It would be good to hear their ideas.

I race a SRF, and did run the one hour enduro with EMRA at Pocono in August. We're typically grouped with small bore production cars at NHIS and generally there aren't too many problems. Its probably as hard for us to see smaller open wheel cars like formula vees as it is for tintops to see us.

I will say that after sharing the track at Pocono with race trucks and the like, I decided to skip the EMRA race at Lime Rock because I wasn't comfortable with the large disparity in lap times around a much tighter, more crowded circuit.

FWIW, on the sports racing forum site one of Adam's crew said that he was wearing his HANS device, and his belts were tight.

p99ro
10-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by supersmile@Sep 28 2005, 11:48 AM
I race a SRF, and did run the one hour enduro with EMRA at Pocono in August. We're typically grouped with small bore production cars at NHIS and generally there aren't too many problems. Its probably as hard for us to see smaller open wheel cars like formula vees as it is for tintops to see us.

I will say that after sharing the track at Pocono with race trucks and the like, I decided to skip the EMRA race at Lime Rock because I wasn't comfortable with the large disparity in lap times around a much tighter, more crowded circuit.

FWIW, on the sports racing forum site one of Adam's crew said that he was wearing his HANS device, and his belts were tight.

1st Great sadnest when we lose some one to racing, pro or weekend driver still a racer. We try not to think of getting hurt or in this case die.
From what I see again as others have said not an expert but. Car stopped in track and a car driving full throttle to a blind spot is just bad. EMRA has been running like this for years. Pro`s do it. But pro`s are used to it and can have safer cars. We go out to race with cars that come from junk yards at times. trying to save monies were we can. I`m not sure but I think I heard the driver had a HANS. If the driver went
into another car like that in anything it could be real bad. I think I`m doing 70 mph at that point. We do know it can happen. I just kinda put the thought out of my head while I`m doing it. I guess It`s up to us to make sure we do what we can to protect ourselves and others. When we see a driver having problems with car contol we should talk to them to help there driving skills to reduce spins and crashes. It happens but some are just down right dangerous. LRP is not a safe track at that place anyway. No Tires or a run off just a very fast steel rail that says hit me. I know the wall had nothing to do with it but things like that need to be fixed. We pay to play. I love LRP but they need to catch up with the program to protect the drivers. They fixed paddock B`s flooding cost some monies why not fix the up hill.
Againg my heart goes out to the friends and family and anyone who were affected emotionaly.
I use a Hutchens now after hitting a wall at NHIS and brought to the hospital to have my neck checked out. Thankfully I was ok just sore. So If you think a restraint gets in the way it does not. We are restricted in the seats anyway and you get used to it.
Scott ITA NER CRXsi

01-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by p99ro@Oct 24 2005, 01:54 AM
I think I`m doing 70 mph at that point. We do know it can happen. I just kinda put the thought out of my head while I`m doing it. I guess It`s up to us to make sure we do what we can to protect ourselves and others. When we see a driver having problems with car contol we should talk to them to help there driving skills to reduce spins and crashes. It happens but some are just down right dangerous. LRP is not a safe track at that place anyway. No Tires or a run off just a very fast steel rail that says hit me. I know the wall had nothing to do with it but things like that need to be fixed. We pay to play. I love LRP but they need to catch up with the program to protect the drivers. They fixed paddock B`s flooding cost some monies why not fix the up hill.

I agree 1000%. The right hand uphill needs to be fixed and soon before more people die. I have hit the guard rail and it's like hitting a brick wall. The guard rail has fvcking earth behind it! The rail needs to be removed and a tire wall needs to be placed like 10 feet back from where the guard rail is now. We need a little bit of runoff.

I was told the sedan hit the guard rail and because of no runoff was now across the track. Adam(R.I.P.) had no place to go but into the front of the sedan.

It's 2006 LRP, get with the times. Go to VIR and you can drive like a lunatic and never worry about even denting your car if you go off track, never mind die.

Tire wall and little bit of runoff would make it 100x safer. Don't tell me it can't be done either. It's probably a weeks worth of work if that.

I am pissed!!!!!!

Greg Amy
01-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 100@Jan 9 2006, 12:49 AM
Don't tell me it can't be done either.

You should be pissed, but guess what? It can't be done.

It can't be done for two main reasons: one, there's a creek/swamp back behind that earth embankment that the guardrail fronts; and two, the local community will never approve any significant changes to the track. You'd never get approval to move that creek (from the town, from EPA, from environmental groups) and you'll never get approval to fill it. And, oh, the local community will never approve any significant changes to the track...

Here's an aerial photo; see for yourself...

http://tinyurl.com/brmnx

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...me+rock%7cct%7c (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=18&X=3168&Y=23213&W=3&qs=%7clime+rock%7cct%7c)

Same goes for the Downhill Turn; there's only so far you can go before you hit another creek (one, by the way, that Jim Vail did move when he bulldozed out the circuit in 1955...) So, these are risks you must accept if you wish to drive LRP... - GA

lateapex911
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Greg... it is extremely rare that I disagree with you...but this time I do.

I have often thought they could do better on the uphill. And I still think so.

The creek IS confining at the entrance to the corner, but I think significant crush space could be garnered in the impact zone further into the corner. Cerainly the sat image confirms this.

Even 6 feet would be enough room for a tire banding or two, which would be a great help in reducing the G loads of a hit there.

I agree that the community is loath to changes, but, this isn't going to do anything but make the place safer. No extra events, no extra traffic, just less deaths. To my recollection that corner has accounted for the majority of on track deaths in recent years.

(This most recent incident, the death of a Skip Barber student in an "off" that impacted the guardrail in the uphill, and the unrelated heart attack victim. Other recent fatalities include a crew person struck by a flying wheel in the pits at one years Busch north race, and a Porsche club racer killed in the rain at the base of the spectator bridge crossing over the straight.)

Of all the incidents, I would think the Skippy student would have benefitted the most from some attenuation in that spot.

16v
01-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Remember~ to alter a corner at a racing circuit calls for a lot of "red tape" to get approval - something I highly doubt LRP will go for let alone pay for.

Greg Amy
01-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Jake, walk down to the outside corner station at the Uphill some time and take a look. As I recall (it's been a decade+ since I worked that corner) if you cut that berm 6 feet back you're looking at a dropoff down into the creek/swamp. There's really not much space back there (it's not like you'd imagine it from seeing it trackside). I'm not saying it's technically impossible, but certainly unlikely.

Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with Lime Rock. It's the closest track to me, can be a fun bullring, and has a lot of heritage. However, I tend to dislike it track tremendously due to its safety concerns. I'm frankly amazed that there's not more serious accidents (and worse) than there is. This is nothing close to a modern facility, and recognizing this I know I will never be the fast guy there (I lost my sense of immortality long ago...) I'm convinced that people who are fast at LRP have either never walked the track and/or are freakin' nuts. - GA

benspeed
01-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Greg - I'm with you on the safety stuff at LRP. To be fast there you must be very brave if you've walked that track and know how hard you'll hit. I've looked over the berm at the uphill and it would be a very expensive project to improve the track there. If the track had been better run and had some capital reserve I'd bet it would have already been fixed, but the management at that track is a whole other topic that most of us are sick of already. It should be part of any tracks plan to continuously upgrade safety - I haven't seen any safety upgrades there in the 10 years I've been going there.

gran racing
01-11-2006, 01:53 PM
How people view LRP is all a matter of perspective. Growing up LRP was the only track I ever went to watch road racing, therefore that was what I considered to be the norm. Driving the track I never felt that it was unsafe, but then again one could argue it is because I don't know any better. I've had the fun of spinning there "a few" times and never contacted a wall (loud knocking on wood sound). Even on the downhill as long as a person doesn't panic, people can become a introduced to rally cross racing and ride it out till the car is ready to join the track again. Again, as a matter of perspective, I never wanted to race at NHIS because I was uncomfortable with its safety (also totalling the car). Although people can argue it otherwise, that's simply how I feel.

Yeah, the track could use some updating (and no more being felt like we need to tip to go to the bathroom!). It could be that I have so much personal historty with the track, but I absolutely love racing that track. Of course almost any thing that could be done to improve a track's safety is a good thing.

01-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 11 2006, 03:34 AM
Greg... it is extremely rare that I disagree with you...but this time I do.

I have often thought they could do better on the uphill. And I still think so.

The creek IS confining at the entrance to the corner, but I think significant crush space could be garnered in the impact zone further into the corner. Cerainly the sat image confirms this.

Even 6 feet would be enough room for a tire banding or two, which would be a great help in reducing the G loads of a hit there.

You beat me to it Jake. I stood on top of the berm which is level with the top of the guard rail just last year. I can't remember how far it goes back, but it does go back some before starting to drop off. I wish I could remember how far. It may need to be built up, so more runoff area and a tire band can be had. Even without building the slop up I thing some much needed real estate can be had.

The creek is not the problem at all. If you look at the sat picture from apex on you have plenty of room. If the area was flat you could make a huge runoff very easily. The problem is LRP management, the hill, and red tape.

I know in a formula car I am flying threw that section. Scary fast. Oh well I know if I was running LRP I couldn't live with myself knowing I could do better.

It can be done.

dazzlesa
01-11-2006, 11:04 PM
just a thought. leave the outside of the turn as is , add tires. modify the inside of the turn.turn in earlier. am i missing something?

lateapex911
01-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Well, I could be wrong, there MIGHT be too little realestate out there, but hey...JUST 6 feet would be HUGE. The difference between hitting an Armco (I've done it) and a double row of tires (done that too, LOL) is like night and day.

Extending the track...(or is that shrinking the track!) would work as well, but there are two downsides.
1- Expense. It isn't cheap to lay the foundation and do a proper job ..and have it not tear up. And the chicane would be less effective..unless IT was modded too.
2- Track records. new configuration means the old records will stand forever, and there will be no comparing new to old.

IF it were even the same money to add tires on the outside, that would be my choice.

But hey, Lime Rock only pulls in $44,000 from us every time we rent there...we can't expect them to make improvements until we get serious and start paying some real money.

(Dave, I am with you...sentimentally, I LOVE the place. But, honestly, they haven't treated us well, and compared to other, successful tracks, they are pretty lame. You need waders to work on your car in B paddock if it rains. The ONLY reason improvements are made it the laying of the law by NASCAR and ALMS, I'm afraid. And their "dealing" with us has been less than honest.)

JLawton
01-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Not that I'm for this (I've always done well on the up hill (unlike the rest of the track), but maybe it's out of ignorance....) but how about using the chicane??

This would take all the speed out of the corner and maybe create more contact....er, I mean passing opportunities........

Andy Bettencourt
01-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I think we are missing one of the original points...changes can't be made because of the TOWN. They would rather shut 'er down than approve modification allowances.

I think adding some sort of curved 'soft barrier' in that corner would be good however.

AB

Tkczecheredflag
01-12-2006, 07:57 AM
I love to race LRP since this is where I cut my teeth. I've hit the armco in my ITA car in the uphill, (my fault, choked on turn in, decide to use the wrong pedal :119: ), and feel safety is a big concern. To Rick's point, I thought too that to shorten the track and make the turn in sooner could help, but it sounds like the town won't encourage the safety issue and the track doesn't care.
Need we say more.

m glassburner
01-12-2006, 11:51 AM
How much room would a "safer" barrier take up ??

RacerBill
01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by m glassburner@Jan 12 2006, 11:51 AM
How much room would a "safer" barrier take up ??

18" to 24" somewhere around there.

Edit: John Fitch (inventor of the Fitch Barrier) lives in the immediate vacinity of Lime Rock.

AntonioGG
01-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by RacerBill@Jan 12 2006, 10:07 AM
18" to 24" somewhere around there.

Edit: John Fitch (inventor of the Fitch Barrier) lives in the immediate vacinity of Lime Rock.

I've seen a SRF, SM, and small formula car hit that type of barrier at TMS. They don't even dent. They are designed for the NASCAR cars which are much stiffer and heavier. Our "little" cars just crunch and bounce off them.

dickita15
01-13-2006, 07:39 AM
It was explained to me when the Safer barriers first went up at NHIS that the barriers are tuned to car weight by adjusting the amount of foam absorption material behind the steel. At the time I was told for an Indy car you use about half the foam at for a Cup car. With Indy car no longer racing there they are now just left in Cup car configuration. There is a big difference between the size of a F500 and a T1 car but I bet they could be tuned to suit most of our cars better. Remember safer barriers are made to be invisible in the smaller impact and really only help in the big hit.

By the way there have been huge barrier changes in west bend and the downhill in the last 5 or 10 years. They now do a much better job in a big crash.

Of course I am still nervous racing there.

dickita15
01-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I just came back from NER’s annual meeting and talked to a couple of people who are connected to Lime Rock. I was told changes are happening. New triple guardrail from big bend to the uphill (hopefully back by the trees) to keep us out of the woods. Runoff being added at the uphill. A straight rail drivers right entrance to the bridge. Eliminates the “catchers mitt” before the bridge. And a rework of the chicane so that more clubs might use it. I am told that these are all part of what was promised when Alms agreed to come to the track

dazzlesa
01-15-2006, 08:19 PM
cool!!!!!

benspeed
01-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Very good news. PS - Rick, your idea of shorting the turn at the uphill to provide more runoff is a good alternative to moving the wall.

01-16-2006, 08:24 PM
:023: