PDA

View Full Version : '95 Jetta VR6 competitive in ITS?

JayBay
09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
I kinda doubt it'll stack up to the Bimmers in ITS, but I've got a line on a cheap donor car, sans interior, that I thought might make an interesting ITS project.

What do you guys think?

Andy Bettencourt
09-22-2005, 10:05 AM
I think they can make the power to run with the Z's, Integra's and RX-7's. 2 comments:

1. I am not sure they can be made to handle well enough but Bildon could chime in on that...

2. We had a real powerful Jetta-then-Corrado driver up here in 2003 but the motor had some relabilty issues...again, Bildon has the experience.

One FACT: The sound they make at full-snot is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like you are being chased by a HURRICANE!

AB

Bildon
09-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Are you expecting to build a Bimmer beater? or ar you just looking to go out, have fun and not be embarassed? I've yet to get our Corrado to get anywhere near the bimmer times. I did pass a 240z and gen2 RX7 in the last race :D so that car is not hopeless.

Our Corrado needs a lot more development. We've had motor problems and that has hampered our progress. In fact I switched back to the old GTI to get a few races under the belt this year. :smilie_pokal:

Handling... You'll never make it as good as the BMW. However we were able to radically change the handling with our setup package. Dialed out most all of the understeer, corners flat and it's got good grip now. You MUST have a real LSD in the car...the VR6 is very torquey.

Power... I think this is where the VR6 has a chance. The VR6 cars are classed at 2680# which gives them a decent P/W ratio. So at the longer tracks it should be ok.

Unfortunately I have a bunch of 'should be', 'could be' statements and no real data due to the lack of time this year with the car in ITS trim.

If you're a 'VW guy' and you like hearing the 'Hurricane' pull you around...go for it. The car is fun to drive. :023: Plus, who knows... I hear rumblings that the 325is might get a little weight added to it.

JayBay
09-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the replies... I'm really kicking around the idea of picking this up. Could be a fun winter project. Of course, I have the Sentra already... we'll see.

I'll keep you all posted.