PDA

View Full Version : How to concentrate?

C. Ludwig
09-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Looking for a book, old wive's tale, secret potion, whatever to help make myself a better drive. The problem? My mind wanders. In the past I've had random thoughts like doing the laundry pop into my head while I'm behind the wheel. No lie.

I'm a decent driver. We won the Cen-Div Area 4 ITS championship this year. We've been competitive where ever we've gone since I started in IT four years ago. I'm not new to racing. I raced jetskis at a national level before strapping into a racecar. But I have this concentration problem. Lost a ski race one time because the race was televised and FOX Sports was interviewing the winners. I lost the lead on the next to last lap because I was going over my interview in my mind instead of racing. What a bone head!!!!

So seriously. There is a distinct difference that I can feel in myself and see in the lap times when I'm "in the zone" or "up on the wheel". Has anyone read anything they can recommend that relates to maintaining a high level of concentration either in auto racing or in some other general form that they can recommend? Or does anyone have any good techniques that they've picked up along the way that they'd like to share? How can you just close your mind to outside distractions and thoughts?

Thanks!

bldn10
09-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Ritalin?

Hey, don't help this guy - he's kicking everyone's butt already!

I think it's natural, Chris, and that is why it is one thing that separates the great drivers from the rest of us. In the top pro series a driver will be beaten and criticized for making 1 or 2 minor bobbles in an entire race. I blows my mind to think that they are so focused and precise that they can do that. Not that I do this but one suggestion might be to pretend you are an astute play-by-play announcer for the race and you are describing the action from an in-car camera - you point out every aspect of the situation - cars ahead, behind, track condition, gauges, strategy, etc. Indeed, I think it would be interesting to rig up a recorder and do it out loud so you could review it later. Just don't play it in the presence of young children! :o

David Ferguson
09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
If you want some more advice on improving the mental aspect of your racing game, I consider this one of the best books out there -- Inner Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley and Ronn Langford. It's available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0760308349/qid=1127402306/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1604920-4122204?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Best $15 you can spend on racing!

Despr8dave
09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Ditto on the book, but you also might try racing competively on a quarter mile banked oval with 20-30 other Dale Earnhardts buzzing all around you, for 20 laps. Drive that with out concentrating and see what happens!!!.....there isn't a turn at Orlando Speedworld I haven't spun out of. ( there is only 4)

David

gsbaker
09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Despr8dave@Sep 22 2005, 01:49 PM
Ditto on the book, but you also might try racing competively on a quarter mile banked oval with 20-30 other Dale Earnhardts buzzing all around you, for 20 laps. Drive that with out concentrating and see what happens!!!.....there isn't a turn at Orlando Speedworld I haven't spun out of. ( there is only 4)

David

:lol:

Hey Dave, was that you?

gsbaker
09-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Chris,

There are some psychologists who specialize in this, or at least include it as part of their practice. Some driving coaches swear by it. PM me if you want a reference.

C. Ludwig
09-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll pick up the book and Gregg you have an PM.

Bill, vitamin R was on my mind when I was writing this. I have a friend that's eaten up with ADD. He can't keep his mind on one task for more than a couple minutes off his meds. I give him a hard time about it constantly. And here I'm guilty of the same thing. :) Those one or two bobbles you mentioned are exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I can review all my tapes from this year and there is one glaring mistake in each one of them that I'd like to eliminate or at least make less frequent.

Despr8dave
09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by gsbaker@Sep 22 2005, 06:13 PM
:lol:

Hey Dave, was that you?

Were you there the night I lost it in two and went gliding through the infield mud or the night the left rear wheel came off going into three????........lol funny man
David
May see you again this year at the ARRC

zracre
09-22-2005, 03:56 PM
if im not in traffic and my mind wanders, which is normal, i try to plan a different line on a familiar track to see if my rpm's increase at corner exit from previous runs through....recognise when it happens and think about how you can better your lap times. works for me

Racerlinn
09-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Drive an under-prepared car - trying to keep from getting ran over has held my attention just fine.... :P

gsbaker
09-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Despr8dave@Sep 22 2005, 03:39 PM
Were you there the night I lost it in two and went gliding through the infield mud or the night the left rear wheel came off going into three????........lol funny man
David
May see you again this year at the ARRC

I don't think I was there, but so many oval racers hit so many walls it's hard to keep track. :)

John Herman
09-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Sometimes that is why its nice to have a radio in the car. My wife and/or brother will provide some pep talks or reminders during the race. They've learned when to call and when to leave me alone. Sometimes I ask them to talk to me because I'm loosing concentration. If you have more points to follow on the track (and that means down the straights), you will quickly realize when you're loosing concentration and hopefully correct (wake up) sooner.

Chris Wire
09-22-2005, 07:17 PM
One of the very best ways to improve your consistancy on a familiar track is to play your laps over and over again in your head between events.

A story I heard (poss old wives tale...dunno) had a driver (EFR?) who was so good at replaying a lap that he could sit in a chair, drive a lap with his eyes closed, including all the upshifts, downshifts and braking, and would complete the entire lap within 2 seconds of the actual time he would do it in a race car.

Go back over your old videos and give that a try!

As I understand it, it greatly improves your muscle memory, thus making laps "feel" easier, reducing fatigue on your body and improving the consistancy of your lap times.

Marcus Miller
09-23-2005, 01:37 AM
If I find I'm wandering, I check the belts (They have usually loosened!) and then start to focus on improving exit speed, imprving my braking/ downshifting or babying the tires.

Marcus

C. Ludwig
09-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Chris Wire@Sep 22 2005, 07:17 PM
A story I heard (poss old wives tale...dunno) had a driver (EFR?) who was so good at replaying a lap that he could sit in a chair, drive a lap with his eyes closed, including all the upshifts, downshifts and braking, and would complete the entire lap within 2 seconds of the actual time he would do it in a race car.

I've heard that same story. I remember hearing it during a race broadcast but forget which driver it was as well. They said he even does it with sound effects. :D

Bill Miller
09-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by John Herman@Sep 22 2005, 04:57 PM
Sometimes that is why its nice to have a radio in the car. My wife and/or brother will provide some pep talks or reminders during the race. They've learned when to call and when to leave me alone. Sometimes I ask them to talk to me because I'm loosing concentration. If you have more points to follow on the track (and that means down the straights), you will quickly realize when you're loosing concentration and hopefully correct (wake up) sooner.

Damn John, when I read the first sentence, I thought you were going to tune into the local <insert favorite music genre here> station!!!! :blink: :lol:

Staying focused is a tough thing, especially if fatigue is setting in. If you&#39;re not racing w/ someone, it&#39;s even harder. I had a friend once tell me, that he actually forgot where he was on the track!!

Wish I had some sage advice to offer, but I don&#39;t. I have to admit though, I&#39;ve struggled w/ staying focused as well.

gran racing
09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
I have to admit, I’m guilty of this too primarily if I have no one near me on the track and I’m just out there doing laps. Even when I’m light traffic…for example, at Summit Point I found myself looking in the stands to see if I could locate my wife and friends. Ooops, pay attention Dave! (And no, that was not when I spun.) It is a tough thing – that’s why psychology is such a big part of sports and professional athletes spend so much time in this area. What I do is try to give my mind something to focus on or a new objective to accomplish. Something that really requires a bit more attention.

I really should look into this more myself; I’ve been a bit lazy. My wife is into Reiki and other forms of psychology. She has talked to me about learning some of the various methods of meditation. My mind tends to wander so I haven’t gotten into the whole thing. All the more reason to, right?!? I do believe it is all about training the mind and don’t limit yourself to resources that are specific to racing. If you find anything good (other then Inner Speed Secrets which I’ve read; well most of it) let me know.

MMiskoe
09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
If you need to take a break because your mind is packing up, do it in a place where it doesn&#39;t matter - like down the front straight. Take 1 second to relax, breath, look at the gauges. Stop looking in the mirror where that car is. You can&#39;t do anything about it once you&#39;re on the straight. Then you can get back to business. You&#39;ll find there are lots of places that where you&#39;re comfortable w/ the car & the track you can stop thinking about it w/o harm - usually towards track out on straigher sections. Same thing if you find your hands get tired, rest one in your lap while going straight (and not shifting), which leads to - being comfortable makes it easy to concentrate on driving.

Doing laps in your head against a clock is a great way to improve. JP Montoya was asked in an interview once to describe a lap at what ever track. He narrated the entire lap and only once got out of sequence with the in-car video that was being played. I guess that&#39;s why he gets the big bucks. I like to do this if I&#39;m headed to a track I haven&#39;t driven in a while, makes the learning curve in the first session faster. (BTW the parts you can&#39;t visualize are most likely the parts you need to work on driving better).

Also, treat mind wandering like any other mistake, recognizing a problem & correcting quickly goes a long way on to minimize the damage.

In car lap timers are a good motivator too. Positive results through negative re-inforcement.

Racerlinn
09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by gran racing@Sep 23 2005, 02:35 PM
Even when I’m light traffic…for example, at Summit Point I found myself looking in the stands to see if I could locate my wife and friends.

I&#39;m glad someone else has done something like this. At IRP earlier this year, I found myself glancing at one of our track photographers (we do photo trophies so we take a lot of pictures at the track) as I was coming thru T12.
The fact that he wears a giant sombrero didn&#39;t help much...

VWPartsGuy
09-23-2005, 02:12 PM
On the other hand if you can win the CenDiv Championship AND think about laundry you might already be in some comfortable Zen-Place and not need any help at all :)

ddewhurst
09-26-2005, 08:22 AM
***My mind wanders. In the past I&#39;ve had random thoughts like doing the laundry pop into my head while I&#39;m behind the wheel. No lie.***

Chris, thanks for the heads up. For you: Which tracks ? What part of a track ? List your random thoughts.

***doing the laundry*** We have met several times & your clean. :023: Is the laundry one of your hated jobs ?

EDIT: ***We won the Cen-Div Area 4 ITS championship this year.*** :happy204: Congrats on a job well done.

Now if you reall want to see it you can keep your concertation for a race come on up to Blackhawk Farm on Oct 8th & 9th & play. In CenDiv area 5 Peterson&#39;s BMW has a 4 point edge over Walk&#39;s (sp ?) Mazda for the area 5 Championship. If your mind wanders at the Farm racing these two you need to find a different game to play. I would think you have raced with Walk. Here is a picture of these two guys. :bash_1_: They exchange the hammer at every other race.

I toasted my car but will be there to spectate. :119:

C. Ludwig
09-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by VWPartsGuy@Sep 23 2005, 02:12 PM
On the other hand if you can win the CenDiv Championship AND think about laundry you might already be in some comfortable Zen-Place and not need any help at all :)

Hahahaha. I make too many mistakes to have found the zen. It&#39;s all due to a really fast car.

And thanks Dave. I&#39;m done for the year or I&#39;d love to come up and play.

Eagle7
09-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Sep 26 2005, 12:48 PM
... It&#39;s all due to a really fast car.

Right. :blink:

dj10
09-26-2005, 04:47 PM
I&#39;m done for the year or I&#39;d love to come up and play.

[/quote]
Chris,
Hoped to see you at the runoffs @ RA.
dj

C. Ludwig
09-26-2005, 05:12 PM
I&#39;m done for the year or I&#39;d love to come up and play.

Chris,
dj

[/quote]

The ARRC? Nah... I talked to James Clay about renting a BMW earlier in the year but he didn&#39;t think he&#39;d have any available. And after losing the good motor in August I&#39;m not going to take the RX-7. Maybe next year... Go give &#39;em hell for me. :D

dj10
09-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Chris,
dj

The ARRC? Nah... I talked to James Clay about renting a BMW earlier in the year but he didn&#39;t think he&#39;d have any available. And after losing the good motor in August I&#39;m not going to take the RX-7. Maybe next year... Go give &#39;em hell for me. :D

Chris,
You are a engine shop! Build another one. :D that was a killer engine you passed me with on the back straight of Mid O! AJ will rent you his, he&#39;s building an engine as I type. hehe. I&#39;ll try my best at ARRC. Best of luck with the off season and keep in touch.
Chris, on a serious note of concentration, not to be morbid but....your a good guy and I don&#39;t want to see you get hurt but you better stay the hell alert or your going to wind up eating from a straw the rest of your life, which is worse than dying! You are not sitting on your ass playing tic tac toe. Please think of this before and when you go out racing again. Don&#39;t forget you could hurt someone else also. On a lighter note, they sell FOCUS FACTOR on TV LOL!!!
dj

Bildon
09-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by dj10@Sep 27 2005, 06:14 PM
I&#39;ll try my best at ARRC.

Dan, who else is going to the ARRC with you? C&G boys? I&#39;m toying with going down, it&#39;s been too many years.

C. Ludwig
09-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by dj10@Sep 27 2005, 06:14 PM
Chris,
dj

Chris,
You are a engine shop! Build another one. :D that was a killer engine you passed me with on the back straight of Mid O! AJ will rent you his, he&#39;s building an engine as I type. hehe. I&#39;ll try my best at ARRC. Best of luck with the off season and keep in touch.
Chris, on a serious note of concentration, not to be morbid but....your a good guy and I don&#39;t want to see you get hurt but you better stay the hell alert or your going to wind up eating from a straw the rest of your life, which is worse than dying! You are not sitting on your ass playing tic tac toe. Please think of this before and when you go out racing again. Don&#39;t forget you could hurt someone else also. On a lighter note, they sell FOCUS FACTOR on TV LOL!!!
dj

Well part of the problem is the engine shop. People want their stuff done! :D

dj10
09-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Bildon@Sep 28 2005, 01:35 AM
Dan, who else is going to the ARRC with you? C&G boys? I&#39;m toying with going down, it&#39;s been too many years.

Bill, I&#39;m not sure but I think AJ is toying with the idea but he changes his mind every 5 minutes hehe. So I&#39;ll probably will be going myself. If you want to hookup email me.
Dan

ddewhurst
09-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Chris, side e-mail me please at ddewhurst at earthlink.net need to talk.

Thanks. ;)

benracin
10-03-2005, 04:27 PM
When I&#39;m racing at a track like RA which has long straights and my mind starts to wonder I find talking out loud to help. I notice I&#39;m getting bad because I&#39;ll take a couple turns sloppy and quickly realize I&#39;m not staying focused. So I&#39;ll say "stay focused Ben". Being my own cheer leader. Or even tell yourself instructions. "Brake at 2 1/2 for turn 5 next time". For a big track it helps you remember.

I went to a racing school that Ross Bentley used to co-instruct (alhtough he was probably never there) in Seattle. They had us remember our tach readings in 3 corners for our 2 lap qualifying then tell them what they were when it was over. Easy way to see if you&#39;re getting faster. It was quite the task for a guy who had never been on a race course. Here&#39;s a pile of numbers, now go out there and drive the best lap you can and tell me what those numbers are when you&#39;re done. It really showed me how together a race driver has to be. Or course radios have kind of changed that since you have a constant stream of info on the other end.

Darn, thinking about all that makes me want to race again. GRRR!!!

CaptainWho
10-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Sep 22 2005, 06:42 AM
The problem? My mind wanders. In the past I&#39;ve had random thoughts like doing the laundry pop into my head while I&#39;m behind the wheel. No lie.

Drive faster. There&#39;s nothing like being scared witless to help you concentrate: :D

Eagle7
10-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by CaptainWho@Oct 8 2005, 04:55 PM
Drive faster. ...

Unfortunately for the rest of us, he already does. :(