PDA

View Full Version : Clutch or trans?

terry
09-22-2005, 12:18 AM
I replaced my chattering clutch with a Center Force II disc and plate. After 5 to 6 laps it becomes hard to shift and now will not go into gear. I replaced the master,slave, and the hydrolic hose. Checked the collar length and replaced the bearing. Bled the system again. Adjusted the rod on the master out as far as it could go. I also adjusted the slave out. With the clutch in, 1st &2nd will only turn one direction and 3rd,4th,& reverse will spin both directions. I anticipate my max bench press to to increse do to removing the transmission 4 times this past week. Clutch or Trans?
Terry :wacko:

joeg
09-22-2005, 07:48 AM
I vote clutch--it's what you changed. Correct?

terry
09-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Correct,

DavidM
09-22-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm definitely no expert, but I'd guess trans. 1st and 2nd gear will be on one rod and 3rd and 4th on another inside the trans. Sounds like something may have broke for one of them. Maybe the extra clamping force of the new clutch caused a weak part in the trans to give out. Seems like the problem would be consistent throughout all the gears if it was the clutch.

David

terry
09-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the same issue.

erlrich
09-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Terry - which car are you working on? The reason I ask is that I was told (by an experienced Nissan parts guy) that on the 240SX there is a very specific technique and sequence for bleeding the system (due to the buffer assembly), and if you don't do it right you'll get less than satisfactory results.

I had a similar problem when I first replaced my clutch (clutch wouldn't disengage at all), but once I determined the bleeder on the buffer assembly was frozen I just by-passed it completely, bled the system at the slave cylinder and was fine. Just a thought.

The only other thing I would suggest is if you kept the old clutch you could try putting it back in just to see if that makes a difference.

terry
09-22-2005, 07:51 PM
The car is an old 1971 240z. I bled the system from the fitting on the master and then from the slave.

zracre
09-22-2005, 08:42 PM
I had the roll pins that hold the shift forks break a few times in the old z 4 speed. Nissan sells a double roll pin that should fix it...I understand it is common failure and it really isnt to hard to fix after a few times...good luck i hope this helps