PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Inlet Cover Door

Jiveslug
09-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok, so here is a random one. My car is missing the little fuel door that covers the gas filler cap. You know, the little metal flap that integrates with the bodywork to try to hide the fuel tank inlet? Anyway, Ive been doing some looking around for a couple of other body parts which I have found no problem, but I cant seem to find the stinking fuel door. So, my question is, do I need it? Im wondering if I can just get one of those locking fuel caps and be done with it. Ive gone through the rulebook and cant find much help. I know you don’t have to have it when you have a fuel cell, but it doesn’t say anything about the stock gas tank. Anyone know? Thanks!

Jive

Gary L
09-21-2005, 08:16 PM
I know you don’t have to have it when you have a fuel cell, but it doesn’t say anything about the stock gas tank. Anyone know? Thanks!

I have to ask, why do you think that removal of the stock gas tank would therefore automatically allow removal of the filler door? IMO, the filler door must remain in place, stock gas tank or no. The rules allow replacement of the stock fuel tank with a fuel cell, but it would be a pretty good reach to make the filler door part of the tank. And remember... up front in the ITCS, it very clearly states that if it doesn't say YES, it means NO. Filler doors are conspicuous by their absence in the lists of allowable deletions. :D

Having said all that, if I were in an area where the tech inspector fails a car for the lack of a (hard to find) filler door, I think I'd go elsewhere to get the car inspected. Same philosophy would have to apply to competitors that even hint of protesting such an item... I'd be looking for somewhere else to race.

Gary L

Jiveslug
09-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Hmmm... Maybe Im not being clear on what I mean. You need to have a filler neck even if you have a fuel cell and that neck needs to have a cap and a check valve (in some cases). What Im talking about is the little door on your street car that goes over the filler neck cap. Its the one that, when you pull up to the gas station, you "pop the gas tank" or the like, walk to where you are going to insert the fuel dispenser novel, and open the little metal door that covers the gas cap, which you then unscrew to get the fuel dispenser nozzle in the filler neck. THAT door. The little one that you have to pop, or unlock, or flip open to even get to the gas cap......

[attachmentid=44]

John Herman
09-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Gary L@Sep 21 2005, 08:16 PM
I have to ask, why do you think that removal of the stock gas tank would therefore automatically allow removal of the filler door? ... up front in the ITCS, it very clearly states that if it doesn't say YES, it means NO.

Sorry, have to agree with Gary on this. Maybe you could find one that is close or could be easily modified to work from another car. The car would look nicer anyways with the cover on.

Gary L
09-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Jiveslug@Sep 22 2005, 08:49 PM
The little one that you have to pop, or unlock, or flip open to even get to the gas cap......

I was clear on what door you were talking about... some cars have them, some don't. But if it came with a door, it must remain on the car to be compliant, IMO. This would be the case whether it's actually used during refueling or not. And FWIW, I see no requirement to have a fuel cell filler/dry break/check valve (or whatever) mounted in the stock filler location. Most of them probably are not... mine is in the center of the cell, inside the trunk.

Gary L.

lateapex911
09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Like it or not, fuel cell or not, you need it.

Most have a key glued in for easy opening or have been converted to a push pull latch deal.

They have to be available in the boneyards..they made sooo many of these cars!

Jiveslug
09-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok, dont get your feathers ruffled, I was just asking. For some reason, that little door is hard to describe to people. A couple of folks I have talked to have given me that "I have no idea what you are talking about" look. I was wondering if it came under the category of body moulding that can be removed. Ill keep hunting around in boneyards. Thanks for the info gang.

JamesB
09-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Tell them you are looking for the Fuel Filler door.

dickita15
09-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Ryan
while I agree with others that the rules say you need the filler door i would not get to frustrated about it. build the car and when you find one put it on. i am sure your competitors will be understanding that you will fix it when you can find one.

lateapex911
09-22-2005, 11:30 PM
yea, don't kill yourself, nobody is going to say anything...just put it on your to do list.

Lots of bigger fish to fry first!

Marcus Miller
09-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Yep :023:

I ran my car sans one for a while before I found one.
The bad old days: http://images.miller-motorsports.com/misc032004/PICT0001.JPG (dig those rims!)
Current day: http://images.miller-motorsports.com/misc072404/P7230133.JPG

It also does help to have one, as some cars will throw a bit of fuel out the gas cap in hard corners with a full tank. If its really bad, you can be black flagged. (fuel + hot exhaust = bad)
You can also see our ghetto-rigged opener.. racers tape! :happy204:

Marcus

AntonioGG
09-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Do a search in http://www.car-part.com

I turned up 4 places around the country that have the right rear quarter panel available for your car. They may be willing to sell you just the fuel filler door? If not, maybe buy the whole quarter panel with the filler door to keep as a spare. It doesn't seem to me that this is an easily found part if I only turned up 4 in the whole country (none in CA). Good luck!

iambhooper
10-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Miller@Sep 23 2005, 05:02 AM
You can also see our ghetto-rigged opener.. racers tape! :happy204:

Marcus

i understand your delima. as our cars age, even the ones that they made gazillions of, it can be hard to find parts. believe it or not, it was actually easier for me to find spare blocks for my fiat than my CRX.

i like the tape idea, as it covers the cap.

best of luck.