PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure

DENNISC020
09-19-2005, 03:08 PM
should I use the low pressure port (.25 bar) on the end of the 8v cylinder head or just plug it.

Bill Miller
09-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Dennis,

Not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about the sender that signals the low oil pressure warning light to go on?? It's probably not a bad idea to have a big honkin oil light in your car, but when it goes on, it's usually too late. My friend had one, and it was labled "Game Over"

Conover
09-24-2005, 12:29 PM
IF your asking about where to hook a gauge up, then yes. I would say put the sender in the head, that's the critical check point. You'll loose pressure there first. The ports on the oil filter flange will only let you know if your oil pump is working.

Eric Parham
10-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Logical, but my opinion is different:

1) Any sender on the end of the head will spew oil towards the clutch if it develops a leak (how many of us even keep the plastic plug in the timing hole). I've found that even a 4-puck can't survive this for long.

2) Most oil filter flanges have both an unfiltered pump pressure port (outer edge) and a filtered engine pressure port (center). In practice, the filtered engine pressure port seems to give a quicker indication of bottom-end troubles than the head port, possibly because oil flow to the head is somewhat restricted compared to what the crank bearings need.

Bildon
10-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I agree with Eric. Been there, done that, with the tiny oil leak on the clutch.
It runs straight down the side of the engine and right onto the clutch...even if the plug is in there oil will find it's way past as the threads on that plug are not 'oil tight'. Spent 6 hours of a Moroso 24hrs spraying brake cleaner in that hole during every stop due to a leaky guage fitting. I moved it after that...no problems since.

Also pressure read from the head will cause the guage to fluctuate which can be very distracting.