PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding MM IT 2ndGen SuspKit

seattle7
09-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Hello all,
I have an 86 RX7 GTU, ITS prep. Suspension was stock and just received the IT suspension upgrade kit from MazdaMotorsports.
All is good except I have a question about a part included with the upper rear spring perch / shock mount kit. I could wait and call MM on Monday but I want to finish it tomorrow so here goes. There were no instructions included.
The kit includes a cad-plated washer/spacer, appx 1.5" OD on one end, then tapered or spherical to an appx 1/2" OD on the other end, total thickness appx. 1/4". I can't find a use for it, is it for mounting a boot?
Current order of assembly from top: nylock nut, spacer, perch bearing, spacer, onto shock shaft shoulder.
I also did not use the T-shaped spacer nuts that came with the Koni shocks, figured they weren't needed, but the aforementioned spacer came from the perch/shock mount kit so it "seems" necessary. I hate having parts left over, gives a sick feeling in my stomach .
Any help appreciated, thanks.
Mike

Chris Wire
09-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Is it the capture washer for the bottom shock mount?

seattle7
09-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Chris Wire@Sep 19 2005, 05:19 AM
Is it the capture washer for the bottom shock mount?

Yes, I think so. I mistakenly assumed it was for the top end of the shock like every other part in the kit. The old washers are still usable, but these are much prettier. Thanks!
Mike

Scooter
09-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Hey, I'm curious. What does the Mazda Motorsports suspension kit include?

thanks!

seattle7
09-20-2005, 12:45 AM
The kit includes:
- Eibach ERS springs, front 7" x 400lb, rear 10" x 250lb
- Koni Sport adjustable shocks, front and rear
- Strut body for front, upper perches and adjustable lower perches for all
(due to MM error the kit was missing the front shock capture nuts but they are sending them)
- Rear shock lower mounting stud (Konis are different dia. than stock)
- Camber/caster plates for front (need to modify strut tower)
- Adjustable rear camber link
- Bigger Eibach torsion bars, front and rear (includes rotation bushings for both and special front mounts, doesn't include new links). The rear bar is 2-position adjustable, the front is "adjustable" but it looks like you need an extra kit for that.

So, the upgrade kit includes most everything need to upgrade a totally stock, totally worn-out suspension into something more competetive. I haven't finished installing everything yet, but it looks like it will lower the car appx. 2". The only notables missing that I can think of (and want) are a strut tower brace and adjustable torsion bar links. Unfortunately you can't pick out things you don't want (and already have) to save money, for example I already had the rear camber link, and now I have 2. But the kit is still cost-effective if you need 90% of the stuff.

Back to the mysterious washer, my guess is that it goes in between the lower shock trunnion and the big-a$$ stock (containment) washer, with the large portion of the new washer pointing away from the shock. My reasoning is that this washer is needed to give the lower shock mount some compliance. On the original shock, the inner sleeve protruded out of the bonded rubber bushing, whereas on the Konis the inner sleeve is flush with the trunnion face. Hopefully someone will confirm my theory :D

Mike
1986 RX-7 ITS

jrx13
09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Hello. I run the same kit but installed it a couple years ago so my memory is fuzzy. Are you talking about the front or rear hardware assemblies?? The strut hardware is made by AWR if I am not mistaken. Here is a couple pf pics that may help:

Front:
http://awrracing.com/images/rxsusp_img/04-7205-awLG.jpg

Rear:
http://awrracing.com/images/rxsusp_img/04-7207-awLG.jpg

Which washer are you referring to?

-Jack

seattle7
09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by jrx13@Sep 20 2005, 07:22 PM
Which washer are you referring to?

Rear kit, the two gold ones on the far left in the pic

jrx13
09-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by seattle7@Sep 20 2005, 10:21 PM
Rear kit, the two gold ones on the far left in the pic

Ok, but looks like I won't be able to help. I don't ever remember that washer/spacer. BTW the pic I linked to is for a 2.25 inch setup.

Here is a supposed pic of the 2.5 inch setup (which I think is the hardware I got)
http://awrracing.com/pages/rx/7206aw.html#

Could they have sent you the wrong hardware assembly?

-Jack