PDA

View Full Version : Advice and Guidance

RacerBill
09-16-2005, 05:18 PM
The front axle (front wheel drive) of my race car is locked. The track tow truck dragged the car onto the trailer. Any suggestions on getting the car off the trailer?

Thanks.

ryotko
09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by RacerBill@Sep 16 2005, 04:18 PM
The front axle (front wheel drive) of my race car is locked. The track tow truck dragged the car onto the trailer. Any suggestions on getting the car off the trailer?

Thanks.

I assume the gearbox is locked up. If so, remove the half shafts. Remove them from the trans. flange or you run the risk of trashing the wheel bearings.

Hope it helps,
Bob

lateapex911
09-17-2005, 02:03 AM
And the best part is that the car is already on the jack stands! Err..... that'd be the trailer.

If that is impractical for some reason.....

I have had similar issues. My first car lost a corner. We got it on the trailer, believe it or not, by driving it up with a roller jack under the front corner, and I got it off, singlehandedly, by backing the trailer up to the cars future spot, tieing the car to a tree and driving away after putting a strip of wood on the trailer, oiling it and putting another peice of wood under the lowered corner. Ugly, but it worked.

Another method would be to get a couple wheel dollies at BJs (or such) placing them under the locked wheels, cranking the front of the trailer up and easing it down on the handbrake.

vwmann1
09-20-2005, 08:58 AM
I have used the pull the towdolly out from under the car trick. Make sure you use a sturdy point on the car or you may just end up pulling stuff off the car. It works just be careful.

joeg
09-20-2005, 04:54 PM
If the car is wrecked, just drag it off (winch; come-a-long).

Disconnecting the shafts may not be practical; however if they are "bent" just cut them in half.

Go-Jacks are neat but you have to determine if they will fit safely down the ramps.

Finally, if the trailer has a full floor, a good floor jack will work nicely.