PDA

View Full Version : cold starting problem

09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Help ;)

I have a 86 2nd gen rx7 street driver. In the mornings it's just a bear to get started but once started not a problem for the rest of the day.

What gives... some sort of a FI cold valve fetzer deal or what? :bash_1_:

Lot to be said for 13b & weber cabs :rolleyes: when it comes to this type of deal!

Thanks

MaxEnergy
09-13-2005, 11:08 PM
It gets cold in California? :P Have you pulled the engine codes to see if it has any bad sensors? Does it crank for a long period without even sputtering or does it almost catch over and over then finally starts running.

Eagle7
09-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I haven't had an RX-7 daily driver, so this is just based on what I've read, but it may be flooding due to a slight leak in the injectors. The fuel rail remains pressurized when you shut it off, and when you leave it long enough, you get enough fuel leakage to flood it.

I couldn't find the best writeup I've seen describing it, but this one should do. Look for "To prevent flooding in the first place..." part way down the page.

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=27438

srx769
09-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by [email protected]@Sep 13 2005, 03:22 PM
Help ;)

I have a 86 2nd gen rx7 street driver. In the mornings it's just a bear to get started but once started not a problem for the rest of the day.

What gives... some sort of a FI cold valve fetzer deal or what? :bash_1_:

Lot to be said for 13b & weber cabs :rolleyes: when it comes to this type of deal!

Thanks

srx769
09-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by srx769@Sep 14 2005, 09:51 AM

When you first start in morning try clamping lift hood and clamp vice grips on rubber fuel line that goes into carb. then try starting. If it starts up , this could be a sign of a week second gen Motor. had a friend who had to put a kill switch on fuel pump wires running under cargo box behind driver seat to get his to start. After it would start he would turn fuel pump on with no problem.

09-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by MaxEnergy@Sep 14 2005, 03:08 AM
It gets cold in California? :P Have you pulled the engine codes to see if it has any bad sensors? Does it crank for a long period without even sputtering or does it almost catch over and over then finally starts running.

and sometimes we even get frost.... :rolleyes:

It cranks for long period before starting. About the third crank, boom... it starts right up!

Thanks for info- :023: