PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Date Results

16v
09-12-2005, 08:32 PM
and the first batch of photos are now on www.ner.org

moto62
09-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Sooooo! What happened this weekend? Who won what class? Any results? Somebody spill the beans man! :P

16v
09-13-2005, 12:03 AM
lots of interesting driving from where I watched :119:

16v
09-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by 16v@Sep 13 2005, 12:03 AM
lots of interesting driving from where I watched :119:

photo galleries are now online www.the16v.com/SCCA/

Tkczecheredflag
09-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by moto62@Sep 13 2005, 03:51 AM
Sooooo! What happened this weekend? Who won what class? Any results? Somebody spill the beans man! :P

I'll chime in on the ITC race. Small field - only three cars (the south puts us to shame on this class - where is everyone). New driver "C" driver on the block Stephanie Funk (of ITB Opel fame), welcome aboard Stef.

Congrats to Brian Megliola (ITC#32) on his 2005 NERRC Champonship. I also beleive with a 15 point lead he will take the NARRC honors as well (don't celebrate yet we're comin to NARCC-OFFS)- for a younger driver he drives like a true champion. He has a promising future but more importantly he is a clean , safe driver and tremendous competitior - I tip my hat (helmet) Brian to you.

Okay no more hugging.

From the "C" pole on Saturday I got a pretty decent start, kept Brian about five or six cars back for the first 8 laps or so. The "A's" came on strong and before you know it it's Brian and me door handle to door handle through 1&2 and the Bowl. Brian grabbed the lead for 1/2 a lap but could not hold on. I ran a 120.8 and took the checkered flag.

Sunday Brian smoked my doors at the start and put me back five cars, by the time we were in the "bowl" on lap one. The "A's" pressed the issue and I got to within one car length of Brian when the course went full yellow around lap 4 (Nick Leverone bounced of the wall exiting the chicane ended up on the roof - there might be more to that story). After a couple of laps following the restart I grabbed up the lead with a hard draft off T-12 down the main straight- then strecthed my legs pretty good and took the checkered - ran a 124.8 I love the chicane.

I'll let the "A" boys and girl chime in on their race.

Victor won on Saturday 116.1, Benazic 116.4, Hunter 116.3. Sunday was Bogart 121.0, Hunter 121.7, Benziac 121.5

16v
09-13-2005, 08:18 AM
who is that masked man? Check out the eyes

7racing
09-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, my weekend had it's ups and downs. But Ray Lee Chee already knows that. Still can't believe he listened to Richie and not me about his car.

Anyway, something internal on my motor broke in the race on Saturday, when I was in a great battle for 1st (5 cars, though I was slowing). Was shaping up to be a fantastic race.

So I borrowed a Miata for the race on Sunday. Found 4 tires that were still round and held air and went out to race. I was up to 6th, then made a titanic mistake in the bowl. I fell back to 13th! I managed to claw my way back to 8th when the checker flew.

Jeremy

RSTPerformance
09-13-2005, 11:43 AM
As usual, fantastic pictures... (Although I don't see the pictures of the Drunk "Cheap Dates" that the Blethen boys brought...)

As for the ITB race, I have to congratulate Derek on another outstanding weekend at NHIS. Once again he beat Scott Carlson in the Yellow Volvo (although day 2 Scott broke and was leading). In the last 5 years (at least) Derek is the only ITB competitor to ever beat Scott unless Scott broke.

It was also nice to see the "Canadians" finish 1, 2, 3 on Sunday :)

As for the Blethen’s and the Audi, we were racing more to sort out the car for the Last Chance Enduro, NARRC Runoffs, and Road Atlanta. We went with a stack of well worn out tires that we knew would be cord by the end of each session we ran. We cycled through several tires and corded many of them between Friday and Sunday, but we had a blast. The car has had some suspension changes since last year and we fixed several wiring problems on Friday during the test day. This all proved to be a good improvement as we found ourselves running 1 second faster than we normally run, and that was with crappy tires as compared to new tires, so we are excited for next year and are hopeful to get into the 17's with the cars :).

I am still amazed at the competition in ITB, it always amazes me at how close the cars are, and all sorts of cars from 3 different generations of VW to Volvo's, Saabs, BMW's and Audi's. That was just this weekend, never mind all the other oddballs that show up on any given weekend :) I looked only at the ITS/ITB results and I found the gap in ITS just in the front 25% of the cars was 3 seconds faster never mind the second 75% of the field. It is very cool that almost 100% of the ITB cars are within 3 seconds of each other (on the "normal configuration"). Such a cool class, with a lot of good drivers!!!

Raymond Blethen

PS: Extra special thanks to "Smarty" the "Hoosier Guy" for staying up with us till the wee hours of Sunday morning welding pieces and parts all over the Audi from suspension to exhaust so that we could make it out safely on Sunday!!!

dazzlesa
09-13-2005, 11:49 AM
ray the weather was just great.
on saturday i was in third coming into turn 3 on the first lap and i thought jeremy and victor seemed to be entering the turn slow so i made it 3 wide. i slid into the turn and victor nailed my door, my bad.my brakes were not cooperating and i was giving everybody runs on me in the braking zones. i was hit in the rear once or twice. the 2nd time resulting in me sideways and victor and branon darting to avoid me.victor took the lead with me rich and brandon in persuit.rich and i had a blast. i got close to victor but a i was more worried about points and rich. i thought that victor and i made way too much contact but i thought that the start and my brakes caused the contact and i thought we were done.
sunday came and new rotors on the car.the car was blazing fast and brandon and i are under the track record in qualifying. i was was estatic and on the front row,oh yeah! the race started, i followed brandon into the chicane. left right then left onto the back stretch. oh wait a minute, as i made the 2nd left BANG and i was facing the infield in front of a lot of cars. victor tried to come under me and he nailed my left rear wheel. i was able to go with out getting hit and i chased brandon and rich. there is something not right with the car and they to pull away.
after the race victor feels he had the pass. i disagree. if you look at the picture by 16v i cannot see how he feels he was close enogh to make that pass. in impound rich and nick agree with me regarding the attempted pass .
happily we all went home in one piece. i was able to clich the narrc. this is a thrill to me. alot of fast cars and drivers ,i am glad to run with you all.
i hope victor and i stop with the contact. i like my car red not red with white scuff marks all over the place.
Rick #06

gran racing
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Ah, so you will be at the NARRC Ray. Looking forward to it.

JLawton
09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Saturday's ITB race was by far the most intense I've ever been in. Not once was I able to relax....... On lap 2, Tim, Rob, Colin and myself (all VWs) hooked up for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th positions. The other three must have swapped positions at least once a lap. Because of the battle I was able keep up with them, just waiting for someone to make a mistake. It was very close racing but I never saw any contact between them.

On the second to last lap, Rob unfortunately got tangled with an ITS car and we were all able to get buy. On the last lap I got inside Colin coming out of 3, got even with him but just didn't have the HPs to make it stick. The four of us all finished with-in a second of each other. Most fun race I've ever run, a very clean dog fight!!

I have to say, I've really enjoyed running with this ITB group. Hope to have some fun at NARRC!!

biovic
09-13-2005, 09:31 PM
"sunday came and new rotors on the car.the car was blazing fast and brandon and i are under the track record in qualifying. i was was estatic and on the front row,oh yeah! the race started, i followed brandon into the chicane. left right then left onto the back stretch. oh wait a minute, as i made the 2nd left BANG and i was facing the infield in front of a lot of cars. victor tried to come under me and he nailed my left rear wheel. i was able to go with out getting hit and i chased brandon and rich. there is something not right with the car and they to pull away.
after the race victor feels he had the pass. i disagree. if you look at the picture by 16v i cannot see how he feels he was close enogh to make that pass. in impound rich and nick agree with me regarding the attempted pass .
happily we all went home in one piece. i was able to clich the narrc. this is a thrill to me. alot of fast cars and drivers ,i am glad to run with you all.
i hope victor and i stop with the contact. i like my car red not red with white scuff marks all over the place.
Rick #06 "

Rick, I agree, I hope we all stop with the contact. :( It was my fault on Sunday in the chicane, that I had my nose in the corner of 2b. I didn't state I felt had the pass after the race, I wasn't trying to pass you or anyone, I was just trying to stay up with the field. I really thought we could all go through there and continue in the order we started, plus Richard with his good start. I watched a few races from the chicane infield earlier in the day and saw many cars go through the whole chicane 2 wide. I obviously misjudged the fact that you would be turning in and couldn't see me. I may not make it to LRP in Oct. if I can't get my car fixed in time (front bumper and radiator support needs to be re-built.)
Congrats on the NARRC win Rick, you have run great all year.

Victor
#03 ITA

moto62
09-13-2005, 11:34 PM
WOW!! Nice recap guys. Sort of make me feel that I was there.

Originally posted by 7racing@Sep 13 2005, 11:07 AM
Well, my weekend had it's ups and downs. But Ray Lee Chee already knows that. Still can't believe he listened to Richie and not me about his car.
Jeremy

Hey man! Just to let you all know, I got a call Sat nite from Jeremy and Dan-o, something about needing a car to run on Sunday. Would have been no problem except, I was at the Oyster fest in Norwalk, Ct, having beers and listening to the Village People live in concert, and they were getting ready to do the YMCA thing. :happy204: Besides, the car needed some TLC after Summit point last week....and Richie also threatened to do me harm if I came up to NHIS :lol:

16v
09-14-2005, 02:37 AM
the Village People eh? :lol:

7racing
09-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by dazzlesa@Sep 13 2005, 03:49 PM
i was able to clich the narrc. this is a thrill to me. alot of fast cars and drivers ,i am glad to run with you all.

Rick #06

Congrats on the Championship! :smilie_pokal: :happy204:

Of course, now everyone knows why I was trying to get Ray's car for the Sunday race. I was leading NERRC heading into the weekend and could not afford 2 non-points finishes. :bash_1_:

Jeremy

racerdrew43
09-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Tim K,
Congratulations on the wins
and on the oustanding fund raising. :023:

Thanks for keeping the ITC lap record in tact for 1 more year.
Drew

Tkczecheredflag
09-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by racerdrew43@Sep 14 2005, 07:58 PM
Tim K,
Congratulations on the wins
and on the oustanding fund raising. :023:

Thanks for keeping the ITC lap record in tact for 1 more year.
Drew

Drew - I was working hard but could not break into the 19's - I think you could be safe for a while. 20.4 is a long way home from there. Missing you at the track.

BB Racer
09-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to post anyway. Over the Cheap Date weekend I was able to notch my first win in my car, and wanted to thank a few people.

First of all my crew, i owe you guys an appology for not giving you your ride on the checkered flag lap. It gives me good incentive to win again and make up for my mistake :bash_1_: .

I'd also like to thank the other front ITA guys for a fun weekend of good racing. WAY too much contact, some of it looked avoidable, but for the most part good intense racing with a lot of us able to battle up front :happy204: . Too bad about Jeremy, and especially fun racing with Rich, thanks :D .

I'd also like to thank and recommend Kelly Arrison from Heads Up Motors. He built my motor over the winter, and if i'd have listened earlier and put a fuel pump in my car i might have won before the last race of the season. He's extremely knowledable, very helpful, and i can't recommend him enough. He also helped a lot with the set-up of my car, and the car handles great. Again, my highest recommendations for all things racing, give him a call to see if he can help improve your program (802-886-2636). And no, i don't get any discount for this :( .

Also, a special thanks to the guys from Flatout Motorsports. They've also helped with the set-up, offered tons of great advice, and been great supporters to our program. They're also a great group of people who show us how it can and should be done. Thanks, and if you need any parts, labor or rental for a bad weekend etc. contact them at Flatout-motorsports.com or call nick at 978-501-3096.

Thanks again to everyone,

Brandon #16 240SX