PDA

View Full Version : Universal Fit Wheels

Jiveslug
09-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Hey again. I have a quick question regarding those "universal fit" wheels. Ya know, the ones that have like holes for both the 4x114.3 and 4x100 bolt pattern..... I have been looking at a couple somewhat inexpensive models in the 14x6 size range. They have the correct backspacing and all that good stuff, but Im wondering if the fact that the wheel has 8 holes in it instead of 4 seriously compromises strength. Has anyone had any experience running wheels like this? Can they take the punnishment of racing or is the design inherently flawed? Thanks!

turboICE
09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Depends a lot on the material and design - there is nothing inherently flawed with additional bolt holes. My car came with SSRs that are dual fit (4X100/4X114) and from what I understand were the primary wheels for the car for quite a while. I used them for a while but didn't like the need to use backspacers on them.

lobster
10-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Slug, Brand of wheels are the ones you are looking at? Stay away from wheels that 1 that are not o.e., 2 american eagle junk, 3 that are not a racing wheel ie Pannsport, etc., 4 that are not d.o.t. or SEMA approved. Also a racing wheel may not be SEMA or DOT approved and still be a great racing wheel for the Corrlla. It
is a bit confusing at times Lobster

Jake
10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
BTW - those I'll bet those dual fit wheels you are looking at won't work on your car. They prolly have Hunduh FWD offset and would need really wide spacers to work on your car. Take a look at the classifieds on club4age and I'll be you can find some decent wheels.

philstireservice
10-20-2005, 09:55 AM
stay away from "cast" wheels if possible ......race with a "forged" wheel

charrbq
11-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by philstireservice@Oct 20 2005, 01:55 PM
stay away from "cast" wheels if possible ......race with a "forged" wheel

Ditto! Some dual fit wheels are DOT approved, but won't take the punishment of racing tires. No one wants to discover this by having a center punch out like the did when formula fords went from street radials to slicks.
I'd be careful of what I bought to safe money. Sometimes it costs you in the end...both of them. ;)

bullydog
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
I have seen 2 general types of these wheels.

1 has 8 individual bolt holes drilled (2 patterns)

1 has oval holes and uses a shouldered, eccentric 'washer' for lack of a better term. I wouldn't trust the washer type with my life, thats for sure...

Jiveslug
02-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I think Im going to go away from these kinds of wheels. Ive tracked down a pretty good deal on some used Nissan factory wheels that should work, so Ill go with them.