PDA

View Full Version : Sun roof

ddewhurst
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Ok folks, I knew the car had a sun roof when I bought it. I had never looked at one previously. There is a bunch of steel associated with the sun roof :blink: I understand that a person can bolt the roof in & forget about it.

After eliminating the sun roof & supporting steel how have you closed the hole ?

joeg
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Make up a piece of sheet metal to overlap the hole.

Weld or rivets--your choice.

If you weld, butt it and be careful about warp.

A good source of sheet metal is a section of roof from a non-sunroof model car, or a flat hood, etc.

Finish to your heart's content (bondo, etc.), but if you just rivet, think about sealing it.

Chris Wire
09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst@Sep 6 2005, 02:54 PM
Ok folks, I knew the car had a sun roof when I bought it. I had never looked at one previously. There is a bunch of steel associated with the sun roof :blink: I understand that a person can bolt the roof in & forget about it.

After eliminating the sun roof & supporting steel how have you closed the hole ?

After removing all of the mechanisms, I simply made up two straps of 1.5" steel and them permanently welded in place across the opening by bodyshop.com.

Simply drill 3 holes in each strap to accomodate the 3 studs on the OEM steel panel and bolt in accordingly.

benracin
09-08-2005, 04:25 PM
My beauty has two bolts in the back corners that just go through the panel and then through the top of the car. I went around and put silicon in all the drain holes because water was coming in. Easy peasy.