PDA

View Full Version : MkIII - OBDI or OBDII??

Knestis
09-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Since we now have the option of giving Pablo multiple organ transplants, what's the running consensus on engine management options? We have both "in stock." One clear advantage is that street licensing inspection requirements in NC are less strict for OBDI cars. :)

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. ... Better than he was before. Better . . . stronger . . . faster."

K

Conover
09-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I like that Bionic man quote. The new shell will get the pre-obd2 treatment just by virtue of it's VIN, so that is not a factor in the decision.

Eric Parham
09-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Well, I like the OBD-I engine better since it has a forged crank and oil squirters. Most OBD-II engines came with a cast crank and no squirters. The OBD-I valve springs are better too. On the other hand, the OBD-II intake looks slightly better (although I haven't flowed them). Is mixing the two okay? If not, I'd go with OBD-I. If you're talking electronics, modding the OBD-II probably has more potential just because it has more sensors and actuators.

Knestis
09-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Conover@Sep 7 2005, 03:31 AM
... The new shell will get the pre-obd2 treatment just by virtue of it's VIN, so that is not a factor in the decision.

Ah, yes but that is only if NC gets involved - like if it needs to get licensed and inspected. The IT rules would allow us to up- or back-date the newer engine and/or engine management and wiring harness into the new shell, regardless of what year it is.

Now, since with the damage to the current car, the new car will need to be a multi-purpose tool, it WILL have to be licensed. That will make it necessary for the VIN to match the OBD spec. It would be extreme as hell but we could for example cut some sheetmetal off of the new car and weld it to Pablo's VIN. :)

K

Bildon
09-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Eric Parham@Sep 7 2005, 01:23 AM
Well, I like the OBD-I engine better since it has a forged crank and oil squirters. The OBD-I valve springs are better too.
Agreed on the hard parts but for the firmware we prefer OBD1.
We've completely disassembled the OBD1 code.

We re-engineer new chips with programs specific to ROAD RACING. Our chips can run on one set of maps, instead of the usual idle, part, full throttle. We add custom VAG-COM blocks, no checksums and the maps are changed to 24x24 for better resolution. A little overkill for an IT engine, but useful if you want it. :023:

Bill Miller
09-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Knestis@Sep 7 2005, 08:01 AM
It would be extreme as hell but we could for example cut some sheetmetal off of the new car and weld it to Pablo's VIN. :)

K

Not to mention illegal as hell. ;)

Conover
09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
If it's registered as a 95, and the VIN says it's a 95, the inspector is going to do a safety check and a visual emmisions check. There is, as far as I understand, not a NC law that says that your car can't have a more technically advanced engine management. The law I think really wants you to upgrade the engine management and emissions if for instance you do a swap, If you put a 97 engine into a 92 car you are really supposed to have the 97 brain and emissions gear follow the engine. But they don't know what they are looking at half of the time. If you were to put the 96 OBDII system onto the 95 car NC would probably send you a thank you note. That being said, it seems to me that the OBDI system is preferred by the guy who is supporting the effort. They already figured it out for us!
Bildon wrote:
"Agreed on the hard parts but for the firmware we prefer OBD1.
We've completely disassembled the OBD1 code. "

My only question is if the "specific to road racing" part of the deal will interfere with Kirk's habbit of driving the car to the track?