PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Classic

R2 Racing
09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
So who's all going to be there this weekend? The Ruck Racing team is actually going to have all four cars at the track for the first time ever. I'll be driving my Integra in ITA and our '92 Civic in ITC. My Dad's driving the Prelude in ITS and one of my roommate's is driving our old '85 Civic in ITC. I think this is going to be one of those things that when it's over I'll say "It was fun, I'm glad I did it, but never again."

It's taken a lot of work to get all of the cars ready but I think both of the Civic's and the Prelude are ready to go. As for the Integra, we still need to finish up the assembly of the engine and get it in the car. So yea, it's still got a ways to go but it shouldn't be a problem getting it all ready. Hopefully by tomorrow night it'll be up and running like a dream.

We're actually going to be staying down in the garages for the first time this weekend too, so stop by and say hi where all the orange Honda's are.

bldn10
09-06-2005, 06:56 PM
We may have 2 ITS RX-7s coming from Memphis but we are somewhat concerned about the availability of gas since we had several stations run out here last week. Are there any shortages in Ky. and Ohio? What generally is the price now for regular unleaded?

Eagle7
09-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Nope. Done for the year. :(

R2 Racing
09-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Today in the central Ohio area, regular unleaded was anywhere from $2.89-3.09 and I haven't seen or heard anything about any shortages.

Marty - That sucks that you're done already. I'm hoping to get another two weekends in after this weekend and before the snow flies.

C. Ludwig
09-07-2005, 05:10 AM
The price has been dropping slowly around here. Ranges from $2.88-3.09 for regular. The slight drop tells me supply is probably OK.

RacerBill
09-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Kevin: Leaving the top of the hill, eh? Well, I've told guests where we are gongg to be, so I stuck up there.

I will get down to the garages sometime, though.

I will be by myself Friday night, if you find yourself with nothing to do. Getting registered, unpacked, and through annual tech on my first race weekend. All my friends are busy getting ready for the Runoffs though.

Dave Burchfield
09-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Bill,

On the way up from Memphis, keep an eye for the Flying J truck stops. There is one at Walton, Ky and one on I-71 in Ohio at MM 69 ans 131. They have plenty of gas and the prices are generally 3 to 5 cents less than the others.

db

R2 Racing
09-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by RacerBill@Sep 7 2005, 06:45 AM
Kevin: Leaving the top of the hill, eh? Well, I've told guests where we are gongg to be, so I stuck up there.

Well, since it's our regions event and we're bringing 4 cars, they cut us kind of a deal on two garages so we took them up on it. I won't know what to do with myself with flat ground and no gravel and grass in my tires.

I'm hoping to be up there by 6:30 or 7pm on Friday, get registered, teched, and unloaded. Then I plan on taking off to a local drinking establishment so I can catch the Pitt at Ohio U game on ESPN2 at 8pm (I have to support my alma mater). OU should be solidly getting there ass kicked by halftime though so I may be back early.

R2 Racing
09-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Entry list - http://www.ovr-scca.org/download/Entry090305.pdf

Honda's own ITA and ITC! :happy204:

C. Ludwig
09-09-2005, 10:48 AM
I'll be hitting the road shortly. Someone better have the Buckeyes on TV Saturday!!!! :happy204:

R2 Racing
09-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Sep 9 2005, 09:48 AM
I'll be hitting the road shortly. Someone better have the Buckeyes on TV Saturday!!!! :happy204:

Seriously, if I can't get it on the antenna in the RV or find anyone who's got it, I think my crew and I are heading into town to "The Infield" to watch it.

trd77
09-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Sep 9 2005, 05:26 PM
Seriously, if I can't get it on the antenna in the RV or find anyone who's got it, I think my crew and I are heading into town to "The Infield" to watch it.

Kevin, when did you graduate from Ohio?

Eagle7
09-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Anybody got results?
Is this going up on mylaps.com?

R2 Racing
09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by trd77@Sep 9 2005, 09:04 PM
Kevin, when did you graduate from Ohio?

undergrad studies - June '02
graduate studies - August '03

Marty - I'm sure you're waiting on ITS results but I think I'll let Chris tell them in any detal since I don't want to mess them up too much. But Saturday was won by a white BMW (Ferragino or something like that) and Sunday was won by a RX-7. Chris finished second each day, I think.

C. Ludwig
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
ITS?

Ferragino or something like that did win Saturday. I qualified on pole both days but made too many mistakes. AJ made one hell of a move to take the lead Saturday. He drove around the outside of everyone at the Keyhole and then just pretty much motored away.

Today was awesome!!! Wish I had some outside footage. Zach Arnold took a break from his Grand Am schedule and came out to play in ITS again. I took pole with a 43.6 and he was 2nd. There were 6 cars from other classes starting between us so I thought I'd have a pretty good cushion. Wrong! Zach busted through in about a lap and was on it. I got loose in the Carousel on about the third lap and he got a good run on me through 1. We drove through the kink side by side and I finally had to give it up at the Keyhole. I got out of the Keyhole with a run and repassed for the lead at 6. Then the full course caution came out for all the blown rotarys littering the track (no lie...there were three). After the caution an AS car that we had left early in the race blew by both of us on the back straight thanks to the field being bunched up. I tried to repass him at 6 to put him between Zach and I. Got in too hot and mowed some grass. Bounced back on the track about 12 lengths cars or so behind Zach. Over the next 3 or 4 laps I ran him down. I couldn't get close enough to try a pass on the last lap at 6 and I wore his rear bumper out the rest of that lap but there was no where to try a pass. Margin of victory was a half second. I was faster but he made no mistakes. We both got out of the cars with the biggest grins on our faces. That was the most fun I've had all year win or lose. AJ was third in the Bimmer.

RacerBill
09-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Glad to see everyone had a good time. My story is too long for this forum, so I will post it on my website. Needless to say, it's quite a story for a first race weekend.

I do want to thank Terry Genre for all the help and advice. He has been running a Dodge Onmi for some time and I wish we had gotten hooked up earlier. Thanks also to the couple in the red pickup who came by at the end of the day. I know you read this forum, so I'll apologize for not remembering your names, but I was just so tired and relieved just to have gotten the car onto the trailer.

Well, better get to the journal. Two more double regional weekends at Nelson this year!

ITC007
09-13-2005, 01:03 PM
How did the C race go????

R2 Racing
09-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Saturday I won in my Dad's '92 Civic hatch, Edwin Ho was second in his '90 Civic hatch, and Bill Shearer was 3rd in his '86 CRX. That was the order we qualified in too so it was pretty uneventful.

Sunday was mixed up a little more since qualifying was so hard with all of the SM's and SS cars in our group. Edwin ended up qualifying first, Shawn Hobbs was 2nd in his Fiat X1/9, I was 3rd, and Bill was right behind me in 4th. There were 8 cars between Edwin and I so I knew it would be a tough race. I got into 2nd pretty quickly and began inching closer to Edwin. I was able to get around a couple of cars and a couple got around Edwin to put us nose to tail. After a couple of laps like that, I got past him under brakes into 6. I was able to get some Miata's inbetween him and me occasionally but not for long. For the last three laps we were left by ourselves except for one Spec Miata driver who was behind us for most of the race but kept driving like a freaking mad man on several occasions - I don't think he wanted to loose to ITC cars. He got past Edwin on the 2nd to last lap into turn 13 and decided he was going to try a very "brave" move on me going into turn 1 on the last lap.....in the middle of the ITC race.....and there were no other SM drivers around.

Obviously he had the power to get underneath me into the turn but I know my car can hold the outside of turn 1 so I gave him the inside complete with 1.5-2 lanes of room. He ended up driving in waaaaay too deep, his car got loose, and he tanked my back left corner with his front right. I went into a very nice full lock drift through the corner but manged to save it somehow. Just as I was saving it the still not quite under control Miata came flying out of no where into my front left corner and hit me really, really hard. My car immediately started spinning again and there was no saving it this time as she went around. Unfortunately Edwin was right behind me and he started spinning too trying to avoid me and the Miata. So now as the Miata drives off, he leave Edwin and I both spinning backwards across the track where my back right rams into his back left. Both of our cars still went so we slammed them into gear and fought to get back on track first. Well, Edwin beat me and got back to the line first - a good job by him.

Needless to say, I was pissed! In impound, Edwin and I watched his in car camera where you can see plain as day that I gave him room, he went out of control, and slammed into me. So after impound I went after the driver of SM #6. I found the car and it turned out the guy was one of OPM's rental drivers. Wow, a rental driver, there's a big surprise. He was no where to be found but I talked to Tom Fowler about it and he seemed less than pleased (also considering the guy already flattened the entire right side of the car on Saturday when he wrecked it). I had to go and get into my Integra though and run the ITA race so I had to let it go. I will still find this guy one day though.

Sunday was a prime example of why I left ITC though. The cars are fun as hell to drive but the entry numbers are low and the stupid classes they put you with are full of a bunch of pompous morons who think they're God's gift to the race track and have no respect at all for you in your "wimpy ITC car". Of course after having that point hammered home again, I went and had one of the closest, biggest fights I've had all year in the ITA race for 13 laps..........my Integra doesn't even have a speck on it.

Eagle7
09-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Kevin, you had me yelling out loud with your turn 1 misfortune. My wife came running asking what was wrong (I'm not often that vocal). Hope Tom found the perp and dealt severely.

So when do we get the A recap?

R2 Racing
09-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Eagle7@Sep 13 2005, 06:05 PM
So when do we get the A recap?

My hands still hurt from typing out the ITC recap! :P

Maybe I will tomorrow if I'm nice and slow at work like I was today. I haven't been busy in three weeks, so it's likely.

Eagle7
09-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Results are posted:
http://www.ovr-scca.org/eventResults/race.asp

charrbq
09-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Don't know if it was the same guy that ran Daytona in August, but we had an idiot in a SM that played heavily in the outcome of the ITC race. I was fortunate to capitalize on his stupidity, but two other C cars and almost 3 didn't get so lucky. Stupid fool was a back marker from the start, spun early, and stayed with the four of us the rest of the race. He hit me lightly in the bumper trying to split a three wide C race. He spun in turn one (again) and took out a C car. On the next to last lap, he dove into the chicane on a low percentage pass, spun, and backed across the track. Barely missed one C car and caused the guy ahead of me to spin off and on not 6 inches ahead of me. We didn't touch, but there were several racers and stewards hunting for the SM driver after the race. As in most cases, there were no other Miatas anywhere near us.
I guess their egos must be so huge that they just lose it. I'd move up classes, too, but I could only economically afford to only go to B, and that would do me little good.
Sooner or later, all the steward will realize that the class has to run alone and that the drivers should be scutinized more. Even SRF doesn't get away with the kind of driving crap that you see in SM. :bash_1_: