PDA

View Full Version : Avon Tires

tophe7d
09-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Anyone running them?

What are they like?

How long do they last?

Finally, How do they compare? (Competitive)

I'm looking at trying different tire makes next year and am very curious about the Avons. They look amazingly similar to the Hoosiers... :blink:

Thanks

tophe7d
09-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Come on...

Don't be shy...

Anybody???

Eagle7
09-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Why don't you try the search engine. I'm sure there was some discussion of this previously.

tophe7d
09-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Kinda helped, not too much info yet, but doesn't look good... God do I feel like such a noob...

In my defense, I did do an earlier search on "Ford Focus" and got nothing but crap and therefore made the assumption that the "Avon" search would be the same...

joeg
09-08-2005, 09:19 AM
I doubt that many of us are running the AVONS, but there was some discussion of this several months ago--on the old board.

I do not think FOCI are classified in IT yet, although us Ford fanatics would like to see it. They run in Showroom Stock (maybe too new?)

ddewhurst
09-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Information only, not a DOT tire & from a different class. Coello won the FC CenDiv championship using Avon this year.

lateapex911
09-08-2005, 11:19 AM
On the Focus, stay tuned....

On the Avons, I remember a thread, but they weren't really noteworthy as being a good solution ....well, as a better solution than what already exists...but my memory is cloudy, so do some digging to be sure.

C. Ludwig
09-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I looked at them over the off season and wasn't encouraged by the lack of info. Tirerack seems to be the exclusive supplier and they knew absolutely zero about their product when I called. They told me to call Goodyear. Seems Goodyear must own Cooper which owns.... I did notice a SM guy running them at Grattan this past weekend. He must have been a Tirerack employee because his car was bathed in Tirerack stickers and he had his email address on the back of the car ([email protected]). So maybe they finally have some feedback?

I can say that I autocrossed on a set last year and was very impressed. That set also durometered 10 points softer than 03 Hoosiers. My only fear in running them was that they would be too soft and wouldn't last.

rsportvolvo
09-09-2005, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine is a Race Engineer for a FF Zetec team and absolutely loves working with the folks at Avon (i.e. Cooper). Their Engineers are always available and are constantly tinkering with the compounds to improve the tires performance. Not sure if this is the case for their DOT-R tires, but Avon does give a lot of Engineering info on their other tires. Just my $0.02.

rsx858
09-29-2005, 01:51 PM
i got a set of the avons because they were a bit cheaper than the hoosiers. big mistake. these tires simply do not perform on the track when compared to other DOT race tires. i would say autocross only.

Matt Rooke
89 RX7