PDA

View Full Version : sentra xe in itb?

zracre
08-30-2005, 11:39 PM
I have the oppertunity to acquire a 1992 nissan sentra xe super cheap...2 door 5 speed. I am very familiar with these cars as I was a nissan tech for 6 years and have done alot on these cars...my question is, if it is going to itb, will it be competitive? what weight will it be? does anyone have any experience making them go fast?? I have driven plenty of fast ser's but im curious what people have found with the little 1600...

Greg Amy
08-31-2005, 09:58 AM
Evan, that car has the same chassis as the SE-R and NX2000. You'd be running 6" wheels, but otherwise you can benefit from our ITA experience in making it handle. On that point, do note that it's still a design in process; no one out there really make bolt-in parts to make them go fast, and we're all still developing the "best setup".

As for the engine, I know the car was used extensively in rallying in the 90's. There's a husband-wife team here in CT that have one that always seems to be a rocket ship (I'm terribly sorry, I now you lurk here but I have forgotten your name!) In fact, I've seen her on the Interstate on occasion; she uses it as a daily commuter car, in full racing regalia!

The car is going to ITB next year at a weight of 2520 pounds (July 2005 Fastrack), which is about 200 pounds heavier than the Golf III. The Nissan GA16 started life with 110 hp, whereas the Golf III's 2.0 has 115. While I'd like to see more B13 cars out there, unless you can find someone that can get some serious ponies out of that engine you're looking at an uphill climb... GA

JayBay
09-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey Evan,

I have a '92 XE I've started tracking this year, and I'll probably prep it for ITB to take my SCCA drivers schools in the spring. Not sure if I'll race it, we'll see how far I get with it...

One major drawback for this car is going to be the brakes. People complain all the time about the SE-R front brakes, which are slightly smaller than the NX2000's, and the XE's front stoppers are even smaller than the SE-R's. Not to mention the XE uses drums in the rear.

Greg's right about the Sentras lacking the development of some of the other cars (Honda, Acura, VW) out there, but if you're looking to go cheap... all of the suspension upgrades for the SE-R will bolt right on to the XE. I've had pretty good luck scavenging used parts from SE-R owners. It's not top of the line stuff, but for getting my beater XE out on the track on a budget I've been pretty successful.

I was a little disappointed to see the weight set at a hefty 2520 (but hey - that's less work I need to do shedding weight!), and I'm not sure the 1.6 Sentras/NX's will ever be a class leader in ITB. But if you can get your hands on one cheap, I'll tell you it's still a blast to drive at the track. You're 30hp shy of an SE-R, but it'll go around corners just as fast!

Good luck,
Jason

zracre
09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys!! Good info on a possible project...yet another one :blink: I will know about the car in a day or two...