PDA

View Full Version : QD slop (revisited)

erlrich
08-30-2005, 05:02 AM
Hey guys, I know this isn't a new topic but it hasn't been discussed for a while, so I thought there might be some new ideas/tips out there on how to reduce or eliminate slop in the spline type quick disconnects. I've tried some quick fixes (e.g. a little JB in the splines), but they usually don't even last until the end of the day, so I would love to find something a little more permanent. Maybe it's just me, but I really, REALLY hate any play in the steering, especially if you throw in a little tire shake; it really tends to lower the 'comfort' level.

Thanks

joeg
08-30-2005, 07:41 AM
JB in the splines?? Oh my God!

If you are using a multi-spline (rather than "hex") quick-disconnect, then I would suspect your issues are elsewhere in the steering system. It could be anything--worn bushings, tie rods, steering gear, etc.- or even bad alignment settings (caster?) which are contributing to your problem.

erlrich
08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by joeg@Aug 30 2005, 07:41 AM
JB in the splines?? Oh my God!

If you are using a multi-spline (rather than "hex") quick-disconnect, then I would suspect your issues are elsewhere in the steering system. It could be anything--worn bushings, tie rods, steering gear, etc.- or even bad alignment settings (caster?) which are contributing to your problem.

Thanks, but this is definitely a problem with the QD. And yes, just a dab of JB on a few of the splines, a little sanding, and the thing fits tight as a drum. Only problem is the JB wears a little every time you take the wheel off and on, and after a dozen or so times it's pretty much gone.

C. Ludwig
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Carroll Smith says to rap on a few of the splines with a punch to mushroom them. May need to chase with a file to provide clearance.