PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Dirt stockers - what pressures?

Marcus Miller
08-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I've got a nifty set of hoosier dirt stockers in my garage that came with my new ITA car... problem being I have no idea what pressure to run them at?!?!?

I've heard only heavy rain, rivers running across the track, etc. for track conditions . Asuming that is the correct useage, what hot pressure should I be looking for?
Also, assuming those type of track conditions, how long should I expect they last?
1 hour? 2? 30 minutes?

thanks!
Marcus

lateapex911
08-28-2005, 09:51 PM
OK, this is the danger of the internet, LOL.

I have done ZERO testing, so.............

I run mine a pound or two over what I run my dry Hoosiers cold.

In the deluge conditions you described, they seem to last a looong time. I was lucky enough to move from 9th to 1st on them in HUGE rain, and against some solid cars, and they showed zero wear. Of course I was so excited at the finish that I had finally won against lots of solid guys that i completely forgot to check the finishing pressure.

I've owned a couple since about '99 or so, and they seem to be hanging in there, full tread or close, but they have always been used when it's either shiny wet or deluging.

Again, your mileage may vary, LOL.

And if anyone knows the author of this shot, Josh Kane, i have been trying to contact him to buy prints, alert him to contact me! ;)

Marcus Miller
08-28-2005, 10:17 PM
That's good news!
To summarize:
As long as the track surface is shiny wet or in a deluge, I should be good to go on wear, and you have run them at a similar pressure to your dry hoosiers.

Marcus

racer14itc
08-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Miller@Aug 29 2005, 02:17 AM
That's good news!
To summarize:
As long as the track surface is shiny wet or in a deluge, I should be good to go on wear, and you have run them at a similar pressure to your dry hoosiers.

Marcus

I have used Dirt Stockers for years. They are bias ply tires, similar to the slicks used on prod cars. I started mine the same as my bias ply slicks, around 20-22 psi cold. "Hot" pressure (it's a relative term when you're talking about rain tires!), should be around 24-25 psi.

When I raced IT, my Hoosier DOT dry tires (R3S03's) hot pressures were 40-42 psi. I can't even IMAGINE what a Dirt Stocker would do at those pressures!! :119:

MC

lateapex911
08-29-2005, 01:40 AM
I should be more specific.

I try to have my hot pressures below 40. So I often start in the low...very low 30 range.

So it sounds like I might be 4 or 5 high at 30 -31. Good to know.

ed325its
08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Last I knew Dirt Stockers were not DOT approved tires and therefore not legal in IT. Comments? Does anyone know better the status of Dirt Stockers?

lateapex911
08-30-2005, 02:39 AM
That has been a question in the back of my mind for years...

Hoosier DOES have a new DOT rain tire........

joeg
08-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Ed--Dirt Stockers are IT Legal

Boswoj
08-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by joeg@Aug 31 2005, 05:28 PM
Ed--Dirt Stockers are IT Legal

And on what do you base that? Do they carry a DOT certification, or are they an allowable exception?

(I don't just want to know the answer, I want to understand why...... ;) )