PDA

View Full Version : timing on a 1.7

jay05
08-24-2005, 09:03 PM
a82 jetta 1.7 itb. new to the car and wondering if the timing advance should be removed. also, not sure what it should be set at. have been running at 31 w/out the vacuum lines hooked up. i'v running auto-x's so far to get a feel for before jumping onto the track.

madrabbit15
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM
make sure that you time the engne at an rpm after the distributor has fully advanced, like at 4500 to 4800 rpms, and then 31 is probably a little too much. In order to find the exact amount for your car, you really need to put it on a dyno and try it as the modifcations that you have done will affect it.

Bye the way, that car is in ITC now.

Derek Ketchie

jay05
08-25-2005, 07:27 AM
is 31 too much w/ vacuum advance. it was originally set there w/out the advance. and not sure why the advance is removed.i saw in earlier posts people running 35 w/out. 82 jettas are now itc.

madrabbit15
08-25-2005, 09:44 AM
I think all of us that run vws in IT remove the vacuum lines. But there are springs and weights in the distributor that will advance the timing as the rpms go up. For example w/o vacuum lines if you time a car at 2500 rpm at 31 degrees, when the motor revs to 5000 rpm you will actually have about 35-36 degrees of timing. So remove the vacuum lines but realize that does not keep the distributor from advancing. The springs and weights in the distributor determine how the distributor advances. BSI changes the weights and springs to something out of porsche for a better advance curve. Its not cheap as those springs and weights are getting rare. I have spent a lot of time with this on a 1.7 so I am not going to give it all up, but I will say at 4800 it should be less the 30. :023:

All 1.7 vws were moved to ITC this year. You will be much more competitive there.

Derek