PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Advice!

Jeremy Billiel
08-19-2005, 06:50 PM
I am looking for some veteran opinions on the subject as I am in a bit of a pickle. Here is the situation:

I bought a home 2 months ago and understandibly it is taking up all of my time and money. The race car is just about done although I need to get it inspected and get a logbook. I have my license, as I attended Skip Barber Racing School, but I have not attended any race yet this year. I would like to keep my license active, but I am running out of time and I am broke. I see the "Cheap Date" in New Hampshire, but I am concerned that I will not have time to finish the car, take it to Dick to get a logbook (Brand new car) all in two weeks time. If I were to miss this event, I could make LRP for the NARRC runoffs, but I would be one race short. I could certainly drive to the Glen, but from CT I am looking at $200 just in gas for the truck.

Any opinions on what I should do? Let's just say my license were to lapse. Does anyone know how hard it would be to get it back at SCCA school? Should this be an issue? Please let your opinions be heard as I am sure someone, must have been in my shoes at some point! Thanks in advance!

-Jeremy

Greg Amy
08-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Jeremy, are you on a license or Novice Permit right now? If you're on a permit, you just renew it; if you're on a license, it's fairly easy to get a renewal approval by passing it through the divisional licensing charman (use to be JackH, don't recall who it is now...) When I came back after a 9-year hiatus, I was able to get JAck to approve me on a regional license based on experience. Since your school is obviously newer than 9 years, I wouldn't sweat it (but it's a great excuse to use just to get out there!) - GA

dickita15
08-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Greg is right. waivers are not that tough to get. on the other hand with a new car for a new guy if you do not get out thid year attending a spring drivers school is a good idea. it would let you shake down and get used to the car for less than test days.

of course the problem with attending a school is instrutors will be watching you so if you suck :bash_1_:

but heck we all made thru the process so how hard can it be :D

take you time and do it right

Jeremy Billiel
08-20-2005, 10:42 AM
By going to the three day Skip Barber School you are able to get your license. Now whether or not that makes me ready for racing, Who knows? The point here is that if my license is to lapse, than the worse case scenario is probably do a SCCA school next spring and call it a day. Doesn't sound too bad!

Dick, if I were to hypothetically get the car done could I bring it to you to get a logbook?

Any other opinions?

dickita15
08-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy Billiel@Aug 20 2005, 10:42 AM
Dick, if I were to hypothetically get the car done could I bring it to you to get a logbook?

yep, but only if is actually done. I can't tech a hypothetical :D

Jake
08-21-2005, 08:45 AM
IMHO, you shouldn't go racing without an SCCA school. Relax. Get your non-race stuff done this weekend. DO NOT make NARRC your first race. Get teched next year, and start your season off right.

JLawton
08-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Jake@Aug 21 2005, 07:45 AM
IMHO, you shouldn't go racing without an SCCA school. Relax. Get your non-race stuff done this weekend. DO NOT make NARRC your first race. Get teched next year, and start your season off right.

I agree. Nothing against the Skippy courses, but it's very different than running an IT race. It would be a good idea to get some more experience in a low key environement like a school.

Good luck!!

gran racing
08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Besides, the SCCA schools are a blast!

lateapex911
08-22-2005, 05:21 PM
If I understand correctly, you haven't run an SCCA race or an SCCA school??

Then I advise to run an SCCA school no matter the status of your racing lic.

I did the Skippy school, and I was one of two fast guys...then I hit the track in IT. Needless to say, I was not near the front. LOL...it is very different to be made the meat of the sandwich by Serra and Hunter going into Big Bend than it was "racing" at Skippy. (Or in your case, being the meat of the sandwich between Leverone and Tisdale going into Big Bend)

So, take your time, get it all done without massive stress, and take a school in the spring. You'll feel much better about your car, your driving, and the SCCA procedures, which weren't touched on at all when I was at Skippy.

Jeremy Billiel
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow - I think this is my first ever thread where everyone was in agreement! I find the whole Skip Barber adventure to be an interesting one.

I went to Skip Barber because it is suppose to be the best school there is. After attending the school though and doing 3 practice restarts at the school, I joke when I say I am "ready". I have not done any races yet with SCCA and I was always under the impression that once you loose your license its a bear to get back.

Any other Skip Barber experiences? I went to Skip Barber with about 5 HPDE's under my belt and I was the fastest there. I try to tell myself I am ready and then I think about what I learned. Good skills - Threshold breaking, passing, etc. But in reality was it all that different than a couple of HPDE's?

dickita15
08-23-2005, 06:29 AM
aggrement is scary but we have all gone to a race when we were not properly prepared and it sucks. there are variables you will never be able to control why add more that result from winging it.

skippy school teaches car control and they do it well. scca schools teach racing. procedure and culture.

It is very cool when you end up with an on track instructor tormenting you 2 inches off your bumper an you keep it together.

doing a school is a fun intense day. you end up too exhaused to smile but you do anyway.

gran racing
08-23-2005, 08:40 AM
What a different feeling it was pushing the car hard through the down hill in a HPDE then doing the same exact thing but have a car only about a foot away from your door. What a rush!

Seriously, the schools are really fun. Take the time to enjoy them. And it certainly sounds like you are ready.