PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen Quarter Panel Repair

JeffW
08-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Does anybody have, or remember where to find, the photos that show using a front fender as a patch for the opposite side rear quarter panel? In my case I would use the LF to repair the RR. I remember some nice step-by-step photos with instructions. I thought I saw them here. Any help?

Thanks,

Jeff

Chris Taylor
08-18-2005, 11:02 AM
I think it was me.

I lost all my project stuff when a previous host decided to shut my account down for no reason (at least, none that anybody in any of their departments can find). I tossed the pictures with very brief descriptions on my new site:
http://taylorrotorsports.com/projects/003/

Let me know if you've got any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

lateapex911
08-18-2005, 05:24 PM
That sounds interesting!

I've done mine the standard racers way:

-Cut off the quarter from a donor car, cut the damaged secion of the race car, fuss the overlap areas a bit and weld away.

Ideally, the joint could be butted, but thats a LOT of extra work.

Lapping is easier, and to keep the surface as close to stock as possible, bend the existing overlap down a bit then back up to form a lowered area to weld to. like this, (SORT OF!) ----- _/------ (Trying to draw a flange there) In the end you should be very close and need just a little bondo.

if thats too painful, just slide the new over the old and use more grinding and bondo!

Chris Taylor
08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
That was my original idea, but I couldn't find a car I wanted to cut the piece off of. Hence, the mother of invention, I noticed the fender had the same little cut in it. :D

Also, with the severity of the damage it was impossible to repair without a little body filler. I use the green stuff, it seems really light and is incredibly easy to work with... about 5 minutes after you mix and apply it's time to file the stuff off (I use an old wood rasp, works like a charm). Even after it's "cured" it's still easy to sand. I prefer to let it sit for ~12 hours before doing a final sanding/smoothing with a DA (I use 150-180 grit).

I was going to try to use the same technique on a Miata I got, but they don't have the similarity with the front fender. I ended up using a stud puller on it and a little bondo. Can't tell from 5 feet away. :)