PDA

View Full Version : 25 hours of Thunderhill

Marcus Miller
08-18-2005, 12:11 AM
I should have a deal wrapped up fairly shortly and be ready to announce it, but any other it.com regulars going to be there? :D

Alternatively, any one interested in running? B)

If so (seriously!) shoot me an email. marcus-at-miller-motorsports.com

Marcus

racer_tim
08-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Marcus, I believe that Matt Weisberg ran it last year, and some of the RX7 folks from Cal Club came up and ran it.

There isn't much cross-over from people that run NASA and SCCA.

Just too much water under the bridge for most.

jlucas
08-18-2005, 08:47 PM
If you have the oppertunity you must do this race!!
I've done it the past 2 years, and am trying to work out something for this year.
There's nothing quite like it.

Marcus Miller
08-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Tim I know two years ago the guys from 7's only came up and ran, and some are planning to run again this year.

I totally understand those who make their choices as to the sanctioning body to run with... but as you know, we don't have any real long SCCA enduros up here :(. The 4 hour RDC is fun, but not as challenging as a long enduro, If you prepare the car well, its a long sprint race.
Speaking of which, have you seen the schedule for the RDC enduro? Is it going to run into evening?

Jeremy, the TL was beautiful last year... I'm guessing its not coming back out?

Marcus

Chris Taylor
08-19-2005, 01:49 AM
I suspect a bunch of Texans will be making the trek again, but I doubt I'll be one of 'em.

How much for a ride in your car, Marcus? ;)

fixrim
08-19-2005, 09:18 PM
What was Matt Wesiberg driving? I'd love a chance to be on track with him..

Perhaps he will be at some other events we are planning on attending, the ARRC, the Laguna Miata Race in October, or maybe the 25.... What does he drive?

Marcus Miller
08-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Chris Taylor@Aug 18 2005, 10:49 PM
I suspect a bunch of Texans will be making the trek again, but I doubt I'll be one of 'em.

How much for a ride in your car, Marcus? ;)

CT,
:023: Shoot me an email marcus-at-marcusmiller.net
Depending on if we run with 5 of 6 drivers, the costs can get pretty low....
Marcus

08-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Charlie Buzzetti and myself are teaming up to run in the E1 Class. Ground up rebuild on a Mazda 2nd gen going on right now. Should be track ready by Oct.

Marcus- Matt will most likely run w/ Tim Buck.

And Yes, during the event your emotions are going like this :023: , :119: , :o and on the way home your planning for next years event :happy204: its just sick!

jlucas
08-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Miller@Aug 19 2005, 03:02 AM
Jeremy, the TL was beautiful last year... I'm guessing its not coming back out?
Marcus

The TL will be at the VIR 13 Hour in November :smilie_pokal: and will not be at the 25, but that doesn't mean we won't be at the 25 with something else..... :eclipsee_steering:

racer_tim
08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Marcus, the standard RDC enduro starts at noon and ends @ 4:00 pm.

The San Francisco Region hasn't done a night enduro in quite a few years. We have had some pro enduro's recently, but non at the Regional level.

We already have 11 Regionals this year, and adding a longer Enduro might be in the works in the future, but it's really up the powers that be to decide.

Marcus Miller
08-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by racer_tim@Aug 23 2005, 05:42 PM
Marcus, the standard RDC enduro starts at noon and ends @ 4:00 pm.

The San Francisco Region hasn't done a night enduro in quite a few years. We have had some pro enduro's recently, but non at the Regional level.

We already have 11 Regionals this year, and adding a longer Enduro might be in the works in the future, but it's really up the powers that be to decide.

Thanks! We will likely try to make that one, depending on budget.
Depending on the soound restrictions, I think 10 hours at Sears would be awesome.
Tim, make it happen :) aren't you still the RDC webmaster? :)

Marcus

Bryan Addis
09-21-2005, 02:41 PM
anyone have in-car vid of VIR???

Joe Craven
09-22-2005, 03:06 AM
I'll be running my PS3/ITB 1971 Capri in the E3 class this year. This might be the oldest car ever run in a 25 hour enduro unless someone brings out something older this year.

I expect that we'll be fast but worried about making it 25 hours w/o some kind failure. When I was racing it in the SFR SCCA IT class, I often had to work on it between practice, qualify and the race. It won't be prep limitations but Ford didn't build these cars for longevity!

If you've never run a 12+ hour enduro, I highly recommend it. The NASA 25 hour has been the most fun I and many of my racing buddies have ever had in any other type of other motorsport event!

Marcus Miller
09-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Sweet! Who's driving with you Joe?

I guess I can annonce it now.... we are close to finalizing our lineup, but it look like
Me,
My brother Scott (who was drving at the Thunderhill this past NASA event in my car)
Tom Aiken from GTi Cup
Sean Neilson (Pro7 and Karting Hotshoe from Socal)
and Tim Gray (Former Formula Mazda competitor, currently running a Spec 7 in Socal.)

We will be running a fully prepped ITA spec Rx7 in E2, with support from Porterfield, ISC, Shed Racing, and (of course) Miller Motorsports.
Marcus (Thanks Mastercard!) :smilie_pokal:

wlfpkrcn
09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Got get em' Marcus

Eric

BMW RACER
09-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I ran last year, had a great time. We pitted next to Bobcat's "one man band" He got as far as 16 hours, then he said he was getting delusional plus his Depends were chaffing!!

IMHO the only REAL enduro is 24 or more hours! Everything else is a long sprint. Hoping to be there again this year.

Marcus Miller
09-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks Eric! :023:

We are going to need it gainst the armada of Miatas and buzz bomb Hondas.

It will be a blast.

Marcus

Joe Craven
09-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Marcus, you ask who is running the Capri with me. Well, my orignal plan was to only invite current and former Capri racers.

So far
Joe Craven (current PS2/PS3/ITB Capri racer - Capri won enduro E3 championship one year.)
Phil Kingham (former ITA Capri racer from Michigan)
Norm Murdock (former ITB Capri racer from Ohio)
Ali Arsham (former ITB/PS3 Capri racer from NorCal - only doing a few sessions)
Mark VanMidde (current NASA racer and past Enduro team member)

I have a few other former Capri racers who are considering to run the 'ol Capri.

BMW RACER
09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey Joe!
I used to race Capri's. '73 Slalom car. '73 ITA. '71 ITA and '76 IMSA RS. Plus many miles at the Mullholland International School of racing!

wlfpkrcn
09-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Joe,

You should hire Jason to drive your car. Guaranteed to win or break :smilie_pokal:

Joe Craven
09-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I thought about Jason and even tried to call and email him. You know his contact information?

wlfpkrcn
09-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Call John. He still talks to him regularly. I haven't talked to him in about a year. Ask VanMidde if he still wants my RX7.

Eric

wlfpkrcn
11-22-2005, 10:14 PM
It's getting close. Is everybody ready?

Eric

Marcus Miller
11-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by wlfpkrcn@Nov 22 2005, 07:14 PM
It's getting close. Is everybody ready?

Eric

ha! :bash_1_: :bash_1_: :bash_1_:

Just got the race motor in the car and running.

We still need to build some spare front suspension parts, correct an electrical short wiht our EGT gauge, finish the defroster, fix the wiper motor, corner weight, alignment, install front bumper, build headlight harness, etc.

arggh!
Marcus
11 days

racer_tim
11-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Marcus, I support both the RDC and the San Francisco Region's web sites.

cbuzzetti
11-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Marcus you should be ecstatic, your list is way shorter than mine.

Marcus Miller
11-23-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by cbuzzetti@Nov 22 2005, 11:18 PM
Marcus you should be ecstatic, your list is way shorter than mine.

Heh.. you ran (won, right?) the CalClub 4 hour this past weekend though....

Our "official" list of to-dos:
Set corner weights
Fix wiper motor
Install front bumper
Build headlight harness
Replace left rear wheel studs
Install vinyl graphics
Build small bearing set of rotors
Fabricate radiator screen
Install brake ducts
Trouble shoot EGT gauge.
Finish passenger side door panel
install Aircraft cable for additional Exhaust hangers
Tune motor/carb for Header
Wire up power Mirrors
Install radio setup
Replace tie rods
Alignment

it never really ends, does it?

Marcus, hoping the car survives to run the ten hours at BRP.

Marcus Miller
11-28-2005, 02:24 AM
And we are done.

http://images.miller-motorsports.com/Defau...fldr=misc112705 (http://images.miller-motorsports.com/Default.asp?fldr=misc112705)

Now its time to plan pit equipment, driver rotation, find gas cans that Larry won't bitch at me about, get the crew together, plan food for 12 for 4 days,

sigh!

Marcus, who feels like he is on Monster Garage.

cbuzzetti
11-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Looks great Marcus!!
Yes we won the 4 hr overall. We even had a fuel spill penalty of one minute and we had to change a tire in the last hour. We won by 3 seconds!!! That was a great booster for the 25.

Turns out that the rubber had built up on the inside of the wheel and made it so out of balance that Shawn thought the tire had cone apart.Now the car has to come all apart, locktite everything. Put on new brakes, tires, trans and finish the rest of the list.
It never does end.

See you there.

Charles Buzzetti

wlfpkrcn
11-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Looking good Marcus. Wish I could be there. Unless it is cold and miserable, then I'll be happy to be at work. Good luck
Eric

Marcus Miller
11-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by cbuzzetti@Nov 28 2005, 02:37 PM
Looks great Marcus!!
Yes we won the 4 hr overall. We even had a fuel spill penalty of one minute and we had to change a tire in the last hour. We won by 3 seconds!!! That was a great booster for the 25.

Turns out that the rubber had built up on the inside of the wheel and made it so out of balance that Shawn thought the tire had cone apart.Now the car has to come all apart, locktite everything. Put on new brakes, tires, trans and finish the rest of the list.
It never does end.

See you there.

Charles Buzzetti

Congrats on the 4 hour win!

That is a close victory for an endurance race..
see you there!
Marcus

Mattberg
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by fixrim@Aug 20 2005, 01:18 AM
What was Matt Wesiberg driving? I'd love a chance to be on track with him..

.... What does he drive?

A legal car. :023:

Chris Taylor
12-01-2005, 02:47 AM
HAHAHAHA!

Finally, something I can agree with Matt on! :smilie_pokal:

Dick Elliott
12-01-2005, 02:45 PM
I'll second that!!!! :happy204:

quote=Chris Taylor,Dec 1 2005, 06:47 AM]
HAHAHAHA!

Finally, something I can agree with Matt on! :smilie_pokal:

[/quote]

Marcus Miller
12-05-2005, 12:42 AM
We laughed, we cried, we crashed....

After a very eventful weekend, The Miller Motorpsorts team was classed as finishing 15th in class (an ITA/SM mix) and 34th overall, covering 511 laps or 1533 miles.

We were running at the end, and I can tell you taking the checkered was very satisfying.

A short list of events:
Fire from the vent line vapor and exhaust
no qualifying times (xponder quit working, but miraculously worked fine in practice...)
Getting run off track and subsequntly destroying the front bodywork, ISC header and midpipe..
Broken GC panhard bar (2x)
Transmission crossmember bolt fell out
Running out of fuel
a very tired,
Marcus
(Thanks to all that support us and helped make this happen!)

Tom A
12-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Miller@Dec 4 2005, 08:42 PM
We laughed, we cried, we crashed....
Among other things. My final update is in the other thread:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=6776 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6776)

So did the car start when you put it on the trailer?

Tom

Marcus Miller
12-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Tom A@Dec 4 2005, 10:39 PM
Among other things. My final update is in the other thread:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=6776 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6776)

So did the car start when you put it on the trailer?

Tom

Yep. It started in the paddock immediately after the race when I pulled back out onto pit road, and then again to put it on the trailer.
I'm guessing the starter switch wiring vibrated loose.
edit: or the car was just being ornery.

Marcus, who is still so tired he can't think straight.

wlfpkrcn
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Congrats on finishing. :023: Are you planning next years event yet?

Eric

Marcus Miller
12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by wlfpkrcn@Dec 5 2005, 11:39 AM
Congrats on finishing. :023: Are you planning next years event yet?

Eric

Thanks! It was certainly a major effort.
:happy204: :happy204: :happy204:
Looking back, its crazy to believe we ran all 25 hours....

We are planning for next year already. This year was about the experience nad learning, next year's goal is to be fully competitive.

Marcus

wlfpkrcn
12-05-2005, 05:52 PM
How did Joe Craven and crew do? I'm suprised he has not posted his results yet. Di the Capri break?

cbuzzetti
12-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I am not sure if the Capri was running at the end but they accepted a third place trophy at the awards ceremony. Congratulations!!!! :smilie_pokal:

Sampson Racing Communications 86 Mazda Rx7 finished first in class E0 and 12th overall :smilie_pokal: . We were completely outclassed and qualified 7 of 8 in class. Our lap times were 2-5 seconds a lap slower than most of our competitors. Due to consistent lap times by drivers Dave Varco, Chuck Koos, Shawn Sampson and Charles Buzzetti and great pit stops and refueling we were able to get the win. All cars in our class had at least one mechanical failure during the race. Our came at hour five when the trans gave up sending us back to 42nd overall.

Thank you to everyone who helped us out.

Victory is sweet!

wlfpkrcn
12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Congrats on the victory :happy204: It's tough to win those long enduro's. It sounds like you guys did a great job with car prep and staying on schedule lap time and pit wise to get to the finish with a victory.

E0? Did you run a turbo or ported car? Wouldn't that have put you into ES?

Tom A
12-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by wlfpkrcn@Dec 5 2005, 01:52 PM
How did Joe Craven and crew do? I'm suprised he has not posted his results yet. Di the Capri break?

Unfortunately Joe was out early, I saw them pit smoking during my first stint, probably about the 3 hour mark of the race.

Tom

Marcus Miller
12-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Congrats also to Cbuzz on their win in E-0. Great job guys!

Marcus

cbuzzetti
12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Our car was stock port but ran under the CalClub regional only rules for RS (radial sedan) that let us run a carb (48 down weber) at 2,222 lbs w/o driver.
Essentially a lightweight ITS car.
We never ran the motor above 7,500 RPM and stayed on our target lap times.
We did incur two 5 minute fuel penalties as well as a $50 fine for using a water only fire extinguisher in the pits. We did have multiple chemical extinguishers we just took this one over the wall during refueling and got caught with it.
The classing for these enduros seem to be a little screwed up. There were cars that should have been classed higher than us in our class, and cars below us that were very fast.
I suspect that some of the SM cars were less than legal.

Marcus Miller
12-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by cbuzzetti@Dec 5 2005, 06:01 PM
Our car was stock port but ran under the CalClub regional only rules for RS (radial sedan) that let us run a carb (48 down weber) at 2,222 lbs w/o driver.
Essentially a lightweight ITS car.
We never ran the motor above 7,500 RPM and stayed on our target lap times.
We did incur two 5 minute fuel penalties as well as a $50 fine for using a water only fire extinguisher in the pits. We did have multiple chemical extinguishers we just took this one over the wall during refueling and got caught with it.
The classing for these enduros seem to be a little screwed up. There were cars that should have been classed higher than us in our class, and cars below us that were very fast.
I suspect that some of the SM cars were less than legal.

oops!

Some of the Miatas were running as ITA cars, not spec cars...

Marcus

Marcus Miller
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
pdf of the official results:
http://images.miller-motorsports.com/2005_25hour/results.pdf

Marcus

cbuzzetti
12-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Good point Marcus!!! I went and checked to see if any ran under the SM or ITA record and a few did but not by much.
Since we wanted to run laps in the 2:07 - 2:10 range it would make sense that they were right there with us.
The ITA track record is 2:08.107 and SM is 2:09.143

The fastest laps in the E0 group was closer than I expected. Though we ran a 2:04.8 (slowest fast lap of group) we tried to stay in the upper range noted above.
We ran the whole race on 8 tires and no brake pad changes. The car only used one quart of oil for the whole race. We did not even bother to check it after the first initial check at six hourssince it had not used any at that point.

The car went on the rack today just to see if anything was going wrong.
Here is the list of problems we found today.
1. Broken engine mount. This allowed the engine to drop and rest on the steering rack. The result was that the engine was occasionally hitting the track grinding the oil pan down on the drivers side. Fortunately it did not wear through. Got lucky on that one!!!!
2. Front sway bar lost attatchment bolt. The car would turn well right but not left. This happened at about hour 20.
3. Rear caliper bolt fell out and brakes got soft but kept working. The pads stayed in place but just lost that good feel.
4. Rear diff oil was very black and goopy, but seemed to not have any effect on track. I'm sure it needs a rebuild now.
5. At hour 24.5 the engine developed a high RPM miss and the tach quit. It seemed to run fine below 5000. Not sure what that problem is yet. But my suspicion is that the cap,rotor and plug wires that were on this used engine when we bought it may be wore out. Yep thats right we never changed them after we bought this engine. Somehow it never made it onto the master list. DUH!!!! :bash_1_:

I can't wait until next year.

Marcus Miller
12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
:023:
edit: We have already started planning for next year also. I think I just blew up my racing plan for next year....
You guys ran well.

Our broken list:
2 front fenders
front nose panel
transmission crossmember bolt (stolen off my pro7 during the event to replace our missing one)
Panhard bar (broke twice)
m/c resevoir is leaking
starter quit working at our last pit stop
two off road lights lost bulbs
rear diff is making bad noises
header (one main pipe is dented about half closed)
Expansion chamber (pipe tore off at the 24.5 hour mark, leaving us with a nopen header the last half hour)
disassembly of the entire suspension, the car was F%^&ing slow. I couldn't come close to my Pro7 times, with all the ITA equpiment. That was a bit frustrating...
:bash_1_:
Marcus

Tom A
12-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by cbuzzetti+Dec 5 2005, 07:32 PM-->
Good point Marcus!!! I went and checked to see if any ran under the SM or ITA record and a few did but not by much.
Since we wanted to run laps in the 2:07 - 2:10 range it would make sense that they were right there with us.
The ITA track record is 2:08.107 and SM is 2:09.143
[/b]
Keep in mind the SCCA track records are in a different track configuration then NASA runs. SCCA runs over the top of turn 5, where NASA uses the T5 bypass. Depending on the car, the SCCA config is 2 or 3 seconds slower per lap.

<!--QuoteBegin-Marcus Miller@Dec 5 2005, 07:46 PM
two off road lights lost bulbs
Considering those lights had the original bulbs from when I installed them on my Toyota truck in 1989.........
I seem to recall someone advising new bulbs in those lights. I think his name may have been Tom. :D They worked great while they lasted though.

rear diff is making bad noises
I know you guys fixed a leak in the rear end, did anyone check the fluid level after the fix?

Tom
(still tired)

Marcus Miller
12-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom A+Dec 6 2005, 12:44 PM-->
Considering those lights had the original bulbs from when I installed them on my Toyota truck in 1989.........
I seem to recall someone advising new bulbs in those lights. I think his name may have been Tom. :D They worked great while they lasted though.
[/b]
We checked the bulbs last night, one of the bulbs is dead, the other measures okay. It might be the switch wiring.
<!--QuoteBegin-Tom A@Dec 6 2005, 12:44 PM
I know you guys fixed a leak in the rear end, did anyone check the fluid level after the fix?

Tom
(still tired)

who, us? :rolleyes:
I don&#39;t remember.

Marcus

12-07-2005, 01:18 PM
:smilie_pokal: Class Winners in E0!

:023: 20 year old 2nd gen RX7 w/ a ground up build of 14k.

Go Mazda!

Drivers: Charlie Buzzetti, Chuck Coos, Dave Varco and Shawn Sampson.

Great drive and great win!

wlfpkrcn
12-07-2005, 08:25 PM
http://nasaproracing.com/25hour/2005_winners.htm

Tom A
12-10-2005, 01:46 PM
I finally got the race report, and some photos up of the Miller Motorsports, Shed Racing, Tillertech, Porterfield, ITA/E2 RX7 effort.

http://www.shedracing.com/25hours.html

There is also a video of our last driver change.

Tom

sneville44
12-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Well I should probably toot our own horn here. The Workpad.com, German-Sport, Mel & Sons Muffler GTI Rabbit won the E3 class in NASA&#39;s 25-Hour Endurance Race this weekend at Thunderhill. :smilie_pokal: This is one grueling race and our Rabbit GTI-cup race car survived. BTW Joe&#39;s Capri burned a piston after only 77 laps ~3 hours into the race. Tough luck

http://www.nasa25hour.com/images/E3-champions.jpg
Photo courtesey of NASA and HeadOnPhotos

Here&#39;s a write up posted on the NorCal GTI-Cup Home Page:

http://home.infostations.net/GTICup/news25...ortDec2005.html (http://home.infostations.net/GTICup/news25hourracereportDec2005.html)

Driver&#39;s were Don Bailey (Mel & Sons Muffler), Carlos Suarez (German-Sport European Auto Repair) Dave Bongiovanni (Workpad.com) and Dan Pina (DP Racing).

Our main competiton was the Honda Factory-backed Opak-Spoon Team driving a Honda FIT imported from Japan. The Opak-Spoon Team (we think) took the "turtle" approach waiting for our "hare" to break down. Our GTI ran flawlessly. We had great pit stops (only one gas spill resulting in a 5-minute penalty) and two minor mechanical problems. A front sway bar bracket broke and the throttle cable came off the pedal assembly. We removed the front swaybar when we brought the car in for a front brake pad R&R at hour 13.5. The throttle cable was a five minute fix after getting towed into the hot pits. With only about three hours left in the race the car was getting hard to shift so the drivers just keep the car in 4th gear to baby the clutch/tranny. Here are some stats I compiled for the race:

1st in E3 Class
18th overall in a starting field of 58 cars
75 laps behind the top finisher
44 laps ahead of the second place E3 Spoon Honda
44 laps = 132 miles or approximately 1.7 hours
Completed 590 laps which equals 1770 miles
Average lap speed (including pit stops and 5-minute penalty) of 70.8 miles/hour

Fastest Lap was 2:12.703 which equals 80.38 mph
Consumed 143 gallons of gas
Total Gas Cost $519 (track racing gas)
Average gasoline consumption of 5.7 gallons per hour
Fuel efficiency: 12.4 miles per gallon
Consumed 10 tires @ $120 per tire = $1,200 (Toyo RA-1s of course)

Cheers,
Scott Neville
#44 GTI-Cup

12-12-2005, 12:48 PM
SRC/Sampson Racing Communications would like to thank all the teams that support NASA and this great event!

Congratulations, you are all winners!

Teams that took first place in class and were running the SRC stickers are eligible to receive the $200 contingency award from SRC :

ESR #12 Team Players Racing $200
E0 #60 Team SRC Awarded to 2nd Place #50 Team Bullet Motorsports $200
:happy204: E3 #22 Team Workpad.com $200 :smilie_pokal:

Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season and a Safe and Fast 2006 Race Season.

NASA and SRC look forward to seeing you all at next year&#39;s 25 Hour Enduro!

Kind Regards, Shawn Sampson
SRC - Sampson Racing Communications
O:1 866 396 7231 F:(805) 649 9014
www.sampsonracing.com