PDA

View Full Version : Finally, the Start of a Dream.

Jiveslug
08-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey everyone! I finally did it! I bought my donor car and will start construction this weekend! Woohoo! So what did I buy? Those of you who have seen me posting for the last 4 years know that I don’t like cars that everyone else has. I need to do my own thing. I also wanted to get a car that would be super-reliable, easy on the pocketbook, and actually have some potential. Thus, I bought a 1980 Toyota Corolla SR-5 Coupe. No, not the goofy lookin 2 door wagon thingy, the fastback version that is called the Levin GT in the Japanese domestic market. I started a post in Specific Car Models that has pics for those of you who are curious. Don’t let the spec sheet fool you about these cars. They are only rated at 75hp from the factory, but the engine is the 3TC, a 1.8 liter OHV Hemi. It was horribly mired down by the smog equipment, restrictive exhaust, and awful carb. All of these engines were intended to pass CA emissions and were stroked versions of the 2T motors, which were designed in the late 60s. The point? Lots of power on tap if you open them up. I should be able to give the best of ITB a run when the car is built and has some development time in it. These things have also been gaining a following, as their reputation for being able to produce, cheap, reliable horsepower has been growing. In addition, they are benefiting from the trickle down of interest generated by their successors… the AE86 Corolla made popular by drifting and Initial D.

Ok, enough of my ranting about the car. Im just terribly excited about the whole thing. Racing has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and Im finally getting started. So, a few questions, if you would….

1. How do you decide what to call your racing team? This is actually really hard for me. I don’t want to do something boring, that’s for sure. Ive had several ideas, but none of them seem right. How did you guys come up with yours?

2. Since I going to start the build by pulling the car apart, Im going to be hacking away at the interior first. Anyone know where to get dry ice for pulling up the tar on the floor? Are there any special things I should look out for when pulling the interior? What color should I paint the interior, anyway? Should I remove the dash or just leave it in for now?

3. Is this a good time to start looking for some minor sponsorship? Im not looking for tons of cash, but maybe some to help get off the ground. Has anyone had any success with this?

4. Ok, last one. This isn’t terribly important, but what color should I paint the thing? Its some crappy burnt orange now, and that aint gonna be long for this world. Opinions for paint?

Thanks for all the support over the years. Its great to actually be starting!!!

Ryan

zracre
08-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Congrats on the new racer project!! Dry ice can be found at marine repair shops, marinas bait shops etc...if you live inland, find an ice distributor (number on the ice box outside convinience stores) and ask them for more info...as for a racing team name, i have been thinking of that for years and havent come up with anything yet...as for color, i like white because of the heat. I live and race in the SE division and it is usually miserably hot on 90% of our weekends. A white car will not absorb heat like a darker color, and it is easier to fix the body when damage occurs. Good Luck!!

JamesB
08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Congradulation man. As said any ice supplier in the phone book will direct you to dry ice sales.

As for a team name....just think it over. I joke calling myself no budget racing, but thats not a team name. If I ever do run under a team name it will either be joining someone elses, or I will apply some thought into the name and come up with one. 'Lost Love' would be likely if I dont managed my small budget and the little lady leaves me.

No clue on sponsors, I wish I could find a few.

Pain the car whatever you feel like, but keep in mind if your looking for sponsors try to make sure its something that isnt too hard to deal with for numbers and lettering. Also think of colors near racer tape colors....it helps covering up some of the rub spots in the time of need.

lateapex911
08-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Cool...I posted to you in the odd section, but...

On the interior, I go with a silver...looks pro, easy to clean, bright, but not too bright. Or light grey.

Team name? last of your worries...I only came up with one after years of being asked.! It's not a team, it's me! Seems kinda silly to me, but people kept asking, so it was easier to just make something up! I built my car in a Carriage House, so....

Sponsors..Honestly, it's a double edged sword. be careful...sometimes the cost of sponsorship is far greater than the benefit. MOST racers are far better working extra hours than they are by getting sponsors. YMMV.

In any case, structure the deal to cost the guy nothing, and it's easier all around.

Marcus Miller
08-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Congrats! :happy204:

Our Team name?
Malloaticken Speed Racing
"With a mallard, goat and chicken- the disease must be serious."
alternatively, Miller Motorsports ( see hood in everior picture)
<-- duh.

Color?
White. Looks like $%^& when its beat up, but nice and cool. Keep the dash a matte black for no reflection. pick a color that matches your hardware store spray paint and racer&#39;s tape. Same goes for the exterior. Think one color body panels....
I ignored my own advice...
Exterior:
http://images.miller-motorsports.com/thill...05/P6260104.JPG (http://images.miller-motorsports.com/thill062505/P6260104.JPG)
http://images.miller-motorsports.com/thill...05/P7090232.JPG (http://images.miller-motorsports.com/thill071005/P7090232.JPG)
Interior:
http://images.miller-motorsports.com/misc072404/P7230149.JPG

sponsors?
Visa, Mastercard, Discover
Marcus

Bruce Shafer
08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Paint the car a color that matches your favorite Krylon or Rustoleum color. You&#39;ll know why after the first few weekends. :023:

ITC007
08-17-2005, 11:07 AM
That sounds like it will be a fun car and at least look good.
I had a team name for a few years for my brother and I but that was just a funny name. We recently put some thought into it and came up with a name that has some meaning to it. My dad raced back in the 70&#39;s, now my brother and I both race and have our own cars, My son will be racing a kart in the next year. So we came up with Generations Racing :smilie_pokal:
Remember it is your team you can always change it.

As for colors, like all have said, light interior. Easier to see if anything has leaked or is cracked or whatever, that is why I like the lighter interiors.
Exterior wise make it look like a race car but easy to fix and inexpensive.

Sponcers are hard to come by. I have a few but they just help out with certain things. My brother is the master when it comes to sponcers and actually gets money. Pretty good amount but not a killing. This is why "HE ASKS".
If you dont ask you wont get. Let them know what you can do for them, but dont let it be more of a hassle.
Good luck and race clean.

Devin B)

Jiveslug
08-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Hey again. I just took some pics this morning, so Ill have them downloaded and posted here and in the specific car forum tonight. :023:

Jiveslug
08-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Jiveslug@Aug 18 2005, 03:36 PM
Hey again. I just took some pics this morning, so Ill have them downloaded and posted here and in the specific car forum tonight. :023:

Ok, so I decided to just post in the specific car forum. Cruise over there if you are interested.... Thanks!

Jiveslug
08-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Started a car domain site for the time being. Here is the addy:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2091326

Check it out. See ya!