PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson moves to CART

racer_tim
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
By Eric Prill
Steve Johnson became SCCA's President in 2000.
TOPEKA, Kan. (Aug. 16, 2005) – Sports Car Club of America, Inc. President and CEO Steve Johnson announced today that he will resign from his post, effective Sept. 15, to become the President of Champ Car World Series LLC.

Johnson served as President and CEO for SCCA since June 2000, assuming the similar role with subsidiary SCCA Pro Racing in April 2001.

“Steve has been a tremendous asset to the Sports Car Club of America,” SCCA Chairman of the Board Gary Pitts said. “On behalf of the Board, we are sad to see Steve go, but wish him the very best of luck with his new position.”

“This is one of those opportunities in your life that you simply cannot pass up,” Johnson said. “I’m very confident in the team that is in place and comfortable to leave the company and Club in its current status. SCCA is financially sound, looked upon as a leader and is in the best position ever within the industry. At the risk of sounding cliché, I’m going out while we’re on top.

“While I’m moving to another motorsports sanctioning body, it is one that is very much a partner to SCCA. I understand SCCA and its strengths. I would not have had this new opportunity without my association with SCCA, and I will remain very loyal to the Club.”

The SCCA Board of Directors will begin the process to position Johnson’s successor shortly.

Link to story: http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?Ref=390

joeg
08-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Oh well...here we go again.

Sorry to see Mr. Johnson leave. He really was very accessible.

mgyip
08-16-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry to see him go as well but the only constant in the world is change. SCCA benefited from Mr. Johnson's leadership, let's all hope that his replacement isn't one of the "good ole boys" that had led SCCA down various goat paths in the future.

Dick Elliott
08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Since the job pays $400000.00 a year, there should be no end to the line to sign up. John Bishop where are you when we need you? Any takers?

lateapex911
08-16-2005, 05:01 PM
$400,000????????????????

(low whistle..................)

Thats not bad....for Kansas!

dickita15
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
400,000 sound like a lot untill you figure the person has to put with the likes of us.

lateapex911
08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by dickita15@Aug 16 2005, 05:55 PM
........ the person has to put with the likes of us.

you think he reads te Prod Board?? ;)

i might ask for a nice round five!

Seriously, I have been most pleased with the direction that the club has taken during the Johnson period....

I would prefer he stayed.

It DOES say something about
A- the confidence an obviously intelligent guy has in the future of CART, and..
B- The serious $$$$ that CART must have to pay to get him...

ddewhurst
08-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Dick, can you back up the numbers you suggested that Steve made with the SCCA ?

A year or so ago the $200,000 was suggested on the Prod site. Today someone suggested $400,000 on the Prod site. By the time Steve is gone the salary will be up to $600,000...........

My personal thoughts on Champ Car World Series is that they may not be around in a couple years. Tony owns the big race & open wheel may be best suited to play by the guy who owns the big race. Sponsors like to play at the big race................

evanwebb
08-17-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm with Jake, I think Steve Johnson leaving is a bummer. However, I think I can pick up the torch for him. Who do I send my resume to?

Bill Miller
08-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Aug 17 2005, 12:42 AM
you think he reads te Prod Board?? ;)

i might ask for a nice round five!

Seriously, I have been most pleased with the direction that the club has taken during the Johnson period....

I would prefer he stayed.

It DOES say something about
A- the confidence an obviously intelligent guy has in the future of CART, and..
B- The serious $$$$ that CART must have to pay to get him...

Dave,

I think it was confirmed that Steve's salary component of his compensation was $400k.

ddewhurst
08-17-2005, 04:18 PM
***I think it was confirmed that Steve's salary component of his compensation was $400k.***

By who ? Matt :023:

lateapex911
08-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst@Aug 17 2005, 04:18 PM
***I think it was confirmed that Steve's salary component of his compensation was $400k.***

By who ? Matt :023:

Now THAT was funny!

Best ever, DD......too bad (or is it good that the innocents here haven't seen much of the subject of your joke...) that most here won't 'get' it!

bldn10
08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Damn, I guess that means I never will get a reply from him re the Dodge SRT program that he crowed so much about on an SCCA forum. I asked him several months ago to confirm that Daimler Chrysler had agreed that participation in SCCA events would not affect factory warranties. Dead silence. Remember the Subaru fiasco?