PDA

View Full Version : MARRS 7: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

MadFrog
08-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Race #3 is over. It was an interesting weekend at Summit Point. I paddocked with the "No Class" group - there were 4 ITA cars. Matt in the General Li (VW painted Orange, etc.), Sean in a fast Civic Si, A.J. in a MR2, and myself. I had a blast with those guys, I am calling their paddock home from now on. We were in the trees in the back of the paddock, it provided some shade, and it was relatively quiet. It was cool.
The Good:
with the car better aligned, I went faster with every session. I ended up running in the 1:32s during the race, which was pretty good for me. I started at 1:35s though. I had the unshaved Toyos, and the rear bar on full stiff (small front sway bar). Combine that with a brain dead driver, and I had a very interesting run through 10. I was at nearly opposite lock, foot on the floor, crapping my pants hoping to not end up in the pit wall... I apparently missed the apex by about, hmmm, 8 feet! That session was a wash. Set the rear bar to the middle setting, slapped on the 225 hoosiers R3S04s. With more rear camber, and the tires already worn on the edges, there's a lot less rub - besides, I want to finish off these tires before mounting the set of RA-1 in 225 that Phil Phillips graciously brought for me.
The second session saw some 1:33s from me, and I qualified 13th (again...) The car was more balanced, and I paid more attention to hitting my marks (look up!!!) The car is still a bit loose, but that may be the way it needs to be. I can left foot brake it into 6 to get a touch of rotation, but if I turn in too late for 7, I am sideways. More practice needed for the driver for sure. The car was running well if a bit hot. about 240 for both oil and water temp.
The race went very well. I got a decent start and started running with Alex Ratcliff on my rear bumper for most of the race. I was great fun. I had the horsepower advantage (his is an ITB car) but he is a better driver than I am. I pointed him by at one point 'cause I missed 4th coming out of turn 9, and I ended up battling with one of his rental miatas. The miata and I went back around Alex a lap later when he got held up in 10 - we both just motored right past him.
The miata kept trying to dive on the inside at turn 1 but I held my ground. Finally, he gave it one more try. I got distracted and missed my brake marker, locked 'em up and almost ran out of track. I checked my mirror, and he had gone too deep as well and spun right behind me - resulting in Alex (lightly) hitting his own rental car. Bummer. I went to talk to them after the race to make sure everything was cool and that I hadn't cause the accident.

The Bad:
on the next to last lap, my feet started getting warm. Intrigued, I look down in the front straight, only to see coolant squirting all over the floor board on both passenger and driver side. I checked the gauges, and the water temp had gone from 240 to pegged. The oil was still around 245-250. I lifted, flipped on the radiator fan, slowed down and made my slow way off line around the track to pit in. I had to point by all the cars I had passed.
By the time I got to the pit, they showed the last lap indicator. Damn it, I could have finished in 9th place. Once out of the car, I let out a long string of curses in two languages, threw a nice temper tantrum (I've been learning from my 3 year old) and was glad nobody else was around.
Once the car and myself cooled down, we found that I had popped a water hose from the back of the block, thereby emptying the cooling system onto the firewall. I replaced the spring-clamp that I had used with a REAL hose clamp to prevent a re-occurence. Unfortunately, once the car started, I could feel and see exhaust pulses coming out of the radiator, and the car only runs on 3.5 cylinders. Looks like a blown head gasket. I can only hope that I didn't warp the head.

The Ugly:
it was f***ing hot. really hot. It was actually miserable. The second qualifying session on saturday afternoon was the worst. I thought I was going to be sick for the first couple of laps. Then the adrenaline kicked in and I only felt bad again when I got out of the car. I drank like 7 liters of water on saturday, and only pissed about a cup. I sweated the rest. A cool suit in now on my off-season list. It was so hot that it took half the fun out of the whole weekend. It was truly miserable. I was talking with a lady who was at the Nelson Ledges school in the snow with me and we were trying to figure out which was worse, and I think we both decided that the near-100 degree, high humidity weather was worse than the snowing, wet frozen field of Ohio.

Anyway, thanks to my new paddock friends; Alex R. and his renter (I forgot his name) for a great race; Phil for the tires, advice and conversation; Gregg G. for his feedback ("Dude, if you would get closer than 8 feet from the apex in 10, it would be a lot less exciting!"), and last but certainly not least, all the coworkers who sat/stood/drove/rode/ran in the intolerable heat for two days to keep us safe.

anybody want to practice taking a civic head off?

JamesB
08-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I hope the damage to your car won't knock you out for the rest of the season. It was great meeting you this weekend. I agree it was hot, brutally hot at that. I brought nearly a case of water and that still wasnt enough for Laura and I with me not even racing. Thanks for bringing a killer lunch. I was so stuffed I didnt even need dinner.

turboICE
08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Well, after a good day of Friday practice - my first SCCA race didn't go so well - but I did accomplish the minimum objective of having my first novice race signed off.

Good - I didn't do any landscaping work over the weekend, I didn't hit anybody and nobody hit me. Which is nice since there isn't much of the body which will stay on with anymore contact. I think I had a good start from my 20th qualifying position - and I have blown quite a few starts this year with another race body. I qualified 20th (13th ITA) and am pretty sure between the start and 10 good laps with some good and some poor passes, plus some ITA spins I think I got into the top 10 in my class, which was my higher goal for my first race - then of course the bad happens.

Bad - First qualifying left me to watch everybody else from turn 1 after a wire for the kill switch loosened and left me with no electrical functions except the starter. Second qualifying left me rolling without a running engine into the pits after 6 laps. OK so at least I qualified - but the engine died because the oil/pump distributor gear stripped down to a point where a quarter's edge would have made a better gear. A friend brings down a shaft and gear from my house Saturday night (5 hour drive - its OK he has a bad habit of storing Hondas for indefinite stays at my place) and I put it in Sunday morning knowing that the crankshaft spindle gear is worn as well. My hope is to complete the race and then worry about putting new parts on. I go out for hardship practice and the car is pulling like it was Friday morning with better lap times. Well after the 10 good laps during the race - the car starts behaving poorly again. Basically as the distributor gear slips timing retards more and more... by the time I get up the hill to 10 during the 11th lap the engine is dead again - fuel can't be ignited when the timing is 25* ATDC. I coast through my 11th pass of start/finish and around to the cut out between turn 2 and 3 and park it. I normally would be quite ticked and in a ranting mood - but I think it was just too hot so I was just kinda numb about it. I probably would have finished the race had I not done the hardship practice laps! I knew the gear wouldn't last long but was hoping it would make it 16 laps.

Ugly - Already covered - HOT, HUMID miserable weather which left me in the AC more than I would want to be while at the track.

I don't know what the next steps will be. I have a caged shell ready for building for next season - and since every event I did this year had at least a moderate problem of some sort (though usually I do not end each track session with a tow!!!), usually during practice or qualifying not the race I keep threatening each time to call it a season and start working towards next. I don't know if I am going to try and get my second novice race this year and enter fresh with the regional license next year or just put the second novice race off for MARRS #1 2006.

Note to self - read Prepare to Win 5 more times and actually apply it...

[/indulgent self-pitty off]

mgyip
08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Sebastian - great to have added you to our paddock area - many, many thanks for lunch on Sun. Good luck with your engine - let's hope that it's just a head gasket

Ed - great to have met you. Sorry to see you have so many issues with the car but at least they didn't seem to be permanent issues (like a ventillated block).

Evan - glad to see you again. Thanks for the rotors - after this weekend and my inability to catch and use the auxillary brake pads, I'll need'em :P

The 30th Anniversary of MARRS was a good party albeit a bit warm. I left Sean, Mo, James and Laura stewing quietly in the humidity on Sat b/c my brain simply stopped functioning from the heat (nothing new).

Hopefully the Labor Day Double won't be as hellish...

spnkzss
08-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mgyip@Aug 15 2005, 12:20 PM
Sebastian - great to have added you to our paddock area - many, many thanks for lunch on Sun. Good luck with your engine - let's hope that it's just a head gasket

Ed - great to have met you. Sorry to see you have so many issues with the car but at least they didn't seem to be permanent issues (like a ventillated block).

Evan - glad to see you again. Thanks for the rotors - after this weekend and my inability to catch and use the auxillary brake pads, I'll need'em :P

The 30th Anniversary of MARRS was a good party albeit a bit warm. I left Sean, Mo, James and Laura stewing quietly in the humidity on Sat b/c my brain simply stopped functioning from the heat (nothing new).

Hopefully the Labor Day Double won't be as hellish...

After my experience this weekend, Yip, you will see me today in your shop buying a cool suit. I got out of my (Kevin's) car damn near ready to pass out. I was in really bad shape. Luckily my wife came into the trailor and saw what kind of shape I was in and set up some ice dipped rags and kept placing them on my neck to cool me down. I've never been in anything like that, and I was only there Sunday. I heard Saturday was worse.

No people can balme some of that on physical shape, and I will be the last to agrue that, but in some of my defense, Saturday my baby brother got married, there was an open bar, I was Best Man and have to give the speech. Needless to say, I wasn't in much shape to be out there in the first place. :)

mgyip
08-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by spnkzss@Aug 15 2005, 01:10 PM
After my experience this weekend, Yip, you will see me today in your shop buying a cool suit. I got out of my (Kevin's) car damn near ready to pass out. I was in really bad shape. Luckily my wife came into the trailor and saw what kind of shape I was in and set up some ice dipped rags and kept placing them on my neck to cool me down. I've never been in anything like that, and I was only there Sunday. I heard Saturday was worse.

I'm seriously considering a Cool Suit myself after seeing how relatively comfortable Sean was after his race.

I was feeling more than a bit flushed myself when I exited the car Sat and Sun - I'm way out of shape but the heat usually annoys me but doesn't bother me per se. In 8 years of racing, this is truly the WORST heat I've encountered :(

JamesB
08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
time to make matt walk instead of taking the pit bike ;)

I wish I had a cool suit just to be spectating. seriously that was some heat and humdity to deal with.

seamus88
08-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I (Sean) had the cool suit and I was still extremely hot.I dont know how anybody without made it through the weekend. My lap timer has a thermo in it and it sits in the shade in front of my speedo and it read 127 deg on sat qual.On sunday it cooled down to 121. I personaly would have never bought a cool suit (mine was a gift :D ) but knowing what I know now I would not give it a second thought. I almost consider it a piece of safety equipment.It is also nice to have when you are standing around the grid waiting.Just plug it in for a minute and charge the suit it stays cool for about 10-15 minutes without being hooked up. :023:

turboICE
08-15-2005, 03:42 PM
The cool shirt definitely didn't bring me to a level of being "comfortable" in the heat of racing - but it had to have made it at least more bearable. I couldn't imagine running this weekend without one.

It is strange because if you consciously think about the shirt you can feel the cold capilaries through the shirt but I was still very hot and I was sweating just as much as not using it. But it must be contributing to keeping core temperature in check and definitely helps delay the onset of exhaustion or mental fatigue brought about by heat. It absolutely is of great benefit in grid.

Oh - and BTW the complaining about heat by no means would suggest having a void in racing in August! (I heard some mentioning that there was a time when races weren't held in August and shouldn't be after this weekend - I disagree.)

JamesB
08-15-2005, 04:04 PM
I think there was a time the asphalts on the tracks could not handle the heat itself, so either the trouble of cooling the track when temps got to high had to be done, or the tracks chose not to run at all. But I dont think it should change...it was hot but we survived just fine.

I think next time its just better preperation....like making good friends with those who have enclosed AC enabled trailers or RV's rather then standing out there the whole time.

MadFrog
08-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Aug 15 2005, 04:04 PM
I think there was a time the asphalts on the tracks could not handle the heat itself, so either the trouble of cooling the track when temps got to high had to be done, or the tracks chose not to run at all. But I dont think it should change...it was hot but we survived just fine.

I think next time its just better preperation....like making good friends with those who have enclosed AC enabled trailers or RV's rather then standing out there the whole time.

I was checking online looking at cool suits. I came up with two separate but nearly identical products:
FAST Cool suit and CoolShirt.
They both use coolers and similar looking shirts. Coolshirt offers a thermostat type of switch to regulate the temp, while FAST has a cycle switch. Otherwise, their prices are quile similar, as well as the features.

Does anyone have any preference for one over the other?

Hey, James, did you get to clean the truck? :P

RP Performance
08-15-2005, 06:02 PM
I like an Idiot ran the SSM race right after the ITA race. Guess I killed a few too many brain cells in the unger days. I sell the cool shirts if a bunch of people are interested I can work up a group buy on the systems. The club system retails for about $410.

JamesB
08-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Yes I got home, got the motor out of the truck, got everything pretty much put away and then got to steam cleaning the back of the truck. I passed out at 9:30 last night and barely could wake up this morning. Let me just say that the weather will really dictate if Laura and I make it. Findind someone to watch the dogs is impossible this quickly, but if the temps are that hot I dont know if I am going to attempt to endure the weekend. Probably setup 8 fans just to keep me cool enough working on the motor swap.

22timber
08-15-2005, 09:58 PM
The weather was brutal. I don't have a cool suit, but I will be looking for one for next season. I'll be talking to you, Bret.

Mark Lapos
ITS RX7 #23

dyoungre
08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 22timber@Aug 16 2005, 01:58 AM
The weather was brutal. I don't have a cool suit, but I will be looking for one for next season. I'll be talking to you, Bret.

Mark Lapos
ITS RX7 #23

Gentlemen,

Can't wait to join you again - I had a GREAT time at MARRS5, and plan to camp out by y'all next time. Owen, sorry you missed Watkins; we didn't get many race laps, but OH MY GOD - that track ROCKS!!!

Wanna help, for the budget minded. I got lucky, and checked out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Therapy-for-back-...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Therapy-for-back-problems-with-this-ice-machine_W0QQitemZ5606900285QQcategoryZ1279QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I got a unit from "EB ICE" for about $60, with a bladder for post knee surgery. The controller went wacky on me, so I wired it to 100% duty cycle. Under a full course caution, I was sucking in as much as I could, as my body was NUMB. These things work, and the shirts aren't 100% necessary (although getting a real shirt IS my next step)

Good luck - y'all in the south need it more than us Northern folk !!!

spnkzss
08-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Well I went by last night, saw Yip and Parker, and bought myself a cool suit. Going to install it today and look forward to using it for the double.

mgyip
08-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by RP Performance@Aug 15 2005, 05:02 PM
I like an Idiot ran the SSM race right after the ITA race. Guess I killed a few too many brain cells in the unger days.

You have brain cells? :birra:

Glad to know that you (and your cute little dog) survived the weekend albeit a few pounds lighter, I'm sure.

EV
08-16-2005, 09:34 AM
It was a great weekend from my perspective.

I want to thank all the drivers for not making us EV guys work too hard in the heat. I was pretty wipped as it was!!

The only emergency I remember was in the SM group and he drove away...

Good Job!!!!!

mlytle
08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by EV@Aug 16 2005, 01:34 PM
It was a great weekend from my perspective.

I want to thank all the drivers for not making us EV guys work too hard in the heat. I was pretty wipped as it was!!

The only emergency I remember was in the SM group and he drove away...

Good Job!!!!!

thank YOU for being there! WDCR workers did another outstanding job running a race weekend, especially considering the oppressive heat conditions.

I just hope us drivers did our jobs providing you enough entertainment! :D

marshall
the black/purple ITS BMW

gran racing
08-16-2005, 01:41 PM
For those looking at cool suits, I thought this was very interesting! Last year while in serious racing depression, I changed the channel to watch some NASCAR. :o What I found very interesting is what many of the drivers use as their "cool suits" and then the show actually went into a small segment of how it works and why it continues to be a very effective solution. A zip lock bag with ice in it pinned under the suit near your heart. Thats it. With the amount of money they spend they're using a zip lock bag with ice in it?

racer14itc
08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by gran racing@Aug 16 2005, 05:41 PM
For those looking at cool suits, I thought this was very interesting! Last year while in serious racing depression, I changed the channel to watch some NASCAR. :o What I found very interesting is what many of the drivers use as their "cool suits" and then the show actually went into a small segment of how it works and why it continues to be a very effective solution. A zip lock bag with ice in it pinned under the suit near your heart. Thats it. With the amount of money they spend they're using a zip lock bag with ice in it?

That's what I use. A quart size ZIPLOC freezer bag filled with ice, positioned right over my heart in between the shoulder belts. After the VIR national race there were still a few pieces of ice left in it when I took it out of my suit in impound. :023: You cannot believe how much better it makes you feel. Seems too simple but it works!

MC
:eclipsee_steering:

JamesB
08-16-2005, 07:27 PM
It was too hot to take pictures, but here is the ITA/ITB race

http://www.baked.net/~crash/gallery/20050813

mgyip
08-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Nice pictures - thanks!! :OLA: