PDA

View Full Version : camber plates trying to leave the car...

zooracer
08-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Of course I notice this just before I'm supposed to race at carolina motorsports park on the weekend.
I had the camber plates custom made by a fellow swift racer in florida. He bolted the plates to the top of the cars strut towers. One of the bolts decided to push it's washer thru the cars sheet metal, so now the camber plate is no longer flush with the strut tower.
I cannot reach the guy who did it as he has changed his number since I was in florida. I am wondering if it would be a problem if I just welded the camber plate to the car. I guess this would make it permanent, so I am not sure about doing this.
I thought about getting a bigger washer, but not sure if this will be safe.

lateapex911
08-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by zooracer@Aug 10 2005, 07:50 PM
Of course I notice this just before I'm supposed to race at carolina motorsports park on the weekend.
I had the camber plates custom made by a fellow swift racer in florida. He bolted the plates to the top of the cars strut towers. One of the bolts decided to push it's washer thru the cars sheet metal, so now the camber plate is no longer flush with the strut tower.
I cannot reach the guy who did it as he has changed his number since I was in florida. I am wondering if it would be a problem if I just welded the camber plate to the car. I guess this would make it permanent, so I am not sure about doing this.
I thought about getting a bigger washer, but not sure if this will be safe.

The best way, other than mounting the plate under the sheet metal, (where it likely wont fit and will screw up the shock travel,) is to make backing plates out of heavey stock, and weld the recieving nuts to it. Might have to shape it to fit, but the largest plate that will fit is the best way to go to distribute the forces.

Essentially, a bigger washer....

use good grade fasteners, and use lock washers where possible, under the fastener heads if you go with the welding of the nuts.

Note, I am not an ME, and this is just one man,s opinion.

Guest_m glassburner_*
08-11-2005, 01:58 AM
Material may be added or removed from the top of the strut tower to facilitate installition of adjuster plate....long as it does not serve as reinforcement....My question is how and what the ??? :bash_1_:

joeg
08-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Really need a pic to see what you are actually talking about, but no problem welding it (assuming the plate material is weldable to the strut tower).

Regards.

racer_tim
08-11-2005, 04:34 PM
This is why I mounted the camber plates BELOW the shock tower, and just used a shorter spring.

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/lf-camber-plate.jpg

joeg
08-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Tim-I do the same thing!

zooracer
08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
well the plates are aluminum, so I guess it will be a problem welding the two.
Perhaps I will just invest in some good carrera units, or something like, and have them welded by a shop.
thanks

Matt Rowe
08-12-2005, 01:04 PM
It appears I might be in the minority on this one, but the phrase in the rule about not providing any additional reinforcement kept me from welding in anything when my car had the same problem. I ended up making larger plates to distribute the load better but stopped short of welding them to the towers. That way they are part of the camber plate which is unrestricted and do not constitute adding material to the towers for reasons of reinforcement. Maybe some of the other rules nerds have some ideas but I would be careful about how much material you are going to put in before pulling out the welder.

Just my 2 cents.

racer14itc
08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Matt,

I have Ground Control camber plates that bolt from the top side. What I did was make a flat plate out of 1/8" steel (with the center cut out) that was the exact size of the underside of the strut tower. It is installed on the under side and that became a big "washer" that prevents it from pulling through the strut tower.

I can send pics if it will help,

MC

lateapex911
08-12-2005, 06:30 PM
MC, thats what I was saying, and IMHO, it's the best way, legally.

The alum plates are fine....they just need a good backing setup. The COULD go under, but.....be carefulm if you don't have the proper length dampers, you could bottom them internally, and that is bad.

zooracer
08-16-2005, 10:21 AM
ok, great, the washer under the strut tower sounds like a great idea.
Thanks