PDA

View Full Version : NHIS

lateapex911
08-10-2005, 01:12 AM
OK, here's some info on NHIS.

Others should respond to this thread with updated, or more info, or PM me and I will add/edit the info.

1. Camping - yes. B-, You're in the grass paddock. Some guys bring thier motorhomes, but I have no idea what they do for dumping etc.

2. Showers - A. Two sets actually that I know of. Hot water has never run out on me. The one in the garage area is more of a locker room. The outfiled are stalls...5 of them.

3. Food - C+. It's fine, but still track food.

4. Power -- B. It's on posts in the grass paddock, and in the garages, and it stays on. $10 a weekend I think. Available, but not overly plentiful. Bring extention cords or a quiet generator to be sure.

5. Air -- B. Down at the tech shed?. Free, and available.

6. Grid/Tech Shed -- A. False grid is big. Tech shed is a garage, but not huge.

7. Track --A roval. The classic configuration uses the NASCAR turn1-2 banking, then sends us into the infield for a heavy braking right angle turn 3, with little run off room, except for an "escape" chute. Then it's a right, out of the oval, and up a hill, then down, then up, abck down and back into the center of the oval into a chicane, then back onto the main straight. About 1.5 miles, times are in the low minute plus range. At first the chicane infield section struck me as Mickey Mouse, and I disliked it strongly, but the banking is a unique feature, and the outfield is hilly, so I enjoyed the track to a degree. It's grown on me, but some don't like the banking as it makes them nervous. Often, double race weekends use the banking on day one, and a second chicane on day two. (yeeeccch). The transitions out of and back into the oval are bumpy. Not a great track, but an OK track. There are worse, to be sure.

8. Local amenities -- it's about 5 or 10 minutes to the Red Roof Inn right down the road. The track is about 20 minutes from Concord, where you can find one of each of all the major chains, plus a number of bed and breakfasts. The Red Roof is the most convenient, book early. Plenty of other stores like Walmart, Circuit city, and tons of food chains are about 20 minutes from the track on a road south and east of concord, south from the track. The closest proper resturaunt is sout of the track about 10 minutes, a lobster house called "Makris" IIRC. A solid 2.5 stars of five, if the rating is generous, LOL. It's fine, but nothing fancy.

9. Autoparts -- Autozone in Concord. Actually it is on the track side of Concord, and open Sundays.

10. Track tips would be to be prepared for some bumps and berming.

11. Towing: It's a pretty easy tow as the area isn't particularly hilly, and all but the last 10 minutes or so are on 4 lane highways. (If you are coming fron the south). However, traffic in the lower NH and upper MASS area on a Sunday night is often ugly in the summer. Make sure the AC works!

Super7
09-30-2005, 05:33 PM
11 a: If you are towing from the north, there aren't any more hills. Get off 93 in Tilton, cross over 93 and turn right onto 140 (at the McDonalds.) Then turn right onto 106 South.

11 b: From the east (Maine) From Portsmouth NH, take Rt 4 west until you get to 106 (41 miles). Then go north.

11 c: From central or northern Vermont: Take 89 from White River Junction (or further north) to Concord, NH, then 93 North for 3? exits to 393 east. Exit 3 is for Rt 106, go north about 9 miles.

11 d: From southern Vermont or Upstate NY: Rt 7 out of Troy turns into Rt 9 in Vermont. Take 9 thru Vermont, and get on 91 North. At the next exit, get off and take 9 east. Follow 9 thru NH until it merges with 202, and take 202 east until it crosses 89. Take 89 south, 93 N, 393 E, and 106 N. LOTS OF HILLS, 2 LANES, but a number of climbing lanes.

At 106, turn south and it's about 5 miles to the track.

12: Things for the SO to do:

Outlet Stores: 7 miles north are outlet stores at Tilton NH, along with a few nice places to have lunch. (106 N 5 miles to 140 W 2 miles, N on Rt 3, stores on both sides of the road.)

Shaker Village: 106 South to lights, turn right, about 1 mile, both sides of the road, parking on left after the big barn.

RacerBill
10-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Super7@Sep 30 2005, 05:33 PM
11 a: If you are towing from the north, there aren't any more hills. Get off 93 in Tilton, cross over 93 and turn right onto 140 (at the McDonalds.) Then turn right onto 106 South.

11 b: From the east (Maine) From Portsmouth NH, take Rt 4 west until you get to 106 (41 miles). Then go north.

11 c: From central or northern Vermont: Take 89 from White River Junction (or further north) to Concord, NH, then 93 North for 3? exits to 393 east. Exit 3 is for Rt 106, go north about 9 miles.

11 d: From southern Vermont or Upstate NY: Rt 7 out of Troy turns into Rt 9 in Vermont. Take 9 thru Vermont, and get on 91 North. At the next exit, get off and take 9 east. Follow 9 thru NH until it merges with 202, and take 202 east until it crosses 89. Take 89 south, 93 N, 393 E, and 106 N. LOTS OF HILLS, 2 LANES, but a number of climbing lanes.

At 106, turn south and it's about 5 miles to the track.

12: Things for the SO to do:

Outlet Stores: 7 miles north are outlet stores at Tilton NH, along with a few nice places to have lunch. (106 N 5 miles to 140 W 2 miles, N on Rt 3, stores on both sides of the road.)

Shaker Village: 106 South to lights, turn right, about 1 mile, both sides of the road, parking on left after the big barn.

Other sites to see:

Take I-93 between Concord and Manchester. There is a rest area there, with toll booths to the South on the North-bound side and to the North on the South-bound side. In between the toll plazas, there is a rest area - with a state liquor store right there!

Somehow, a liquor store on an Interstate raises my eyebrows, but I guess their license plates say it all - state motto "Live Free or Die".