PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 Header solution

SilverHorseRacing
08-09-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm looking for a permanent solution for my header issue encountered last week. It seems that most distributors now only carry Schoenfeld's header, and honestly, I think it's too thin and not "all that" since it only survived 11 weekends before disintegrating.

I'd like to find an old Motorsport header, or alternatively, a manufacturer that does them in stainless. I looked at Burn's web site, but don't know if I want to tackle custom fabbing the darn thing. Sources appreciated.

Of course, if you have a old A231 header just collecting dust.... :)

JeffYoung
08-10-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat -- my headers are old and were actually used on a Playboy Endurance car in the late 80s, but are a unique design and better than anything else out there.

My solution? Take them to a decent custom muffler shop and have them put them on a jig and make you a duplicate. The estimate I got was in the $400 range -- not bad really if they last.

manny
08-10-2005, 06:29 AM
hey marcello how are ya? how about the shortie style header from the ford ranger. just a thought.

manny

SilverHorseRacing
08-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by manny@Aug 10 2005, 06:29 AM
hey marcello how are ya? how about the shortie style header from the ford ranger. just a thought.

manny

Doing ok Manny, just getting the new car finally to where I had the old one...

I looked at the ranger piece, but it's a bit constricted in spots, and doesn't allow for port-matching. In a pinch I'd use it, but I think it would hurt power output over a nice LT header.

Dick Elliott
08-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Marcello! I've tryed every known 2.3L header for my many Pintos. Headman / Ford / Blackjack / Cyclone / Hooker / Esslinger / etc / etc. The very best on a short track, with lots of slow turns, is the Ford Ranger with a 2 1/4" pipe back to the rear end. There dirt cheap in a junk yard. Try it. You'll like it. DICK.

SilverHorseRacing
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dick Elliott@Aug 10 2005, 09:07 AM
Marcello! I've tryed every known 2.3L header for my many Pintos. Headman / Ford / Blackjack / Cyclone / Hooker / Esslinger / etc / etc. The very best on a short track, with lots of slow turns, is the Ford Ranger with a 2 1/4" pipe back to the rear end. There dirt cheap in a junk yard. Try it. You'll like it. DICK.

Dick,

Thanks. But what happens at Daytona or the straightaways at Sebring (long course) or front straight at Savannah? I guess what I'm asking is what do you consider a "short n slow" track / corner?

Dick Elliott
08-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Well what you need to understand is, the 2.3L is really a tractor motor that has much more exhaust porting than it can ever use. Esslinger sells headers made for GT motors, not IT. Theres no way a STOCK 2.3L Ford can use 1 3/4" primary pipes and a 3" collector unless you plan on turning it 9K plus. All I know is when I put the Ranger header on the Pinto with a long 2 1/4" pipe, it ran MUCH better. Lets face it: its so cheap, what do you have to lose? I think a slow track is one where your useing 2nd thru top gear in the tranie each lap. Remember, that road racing is drag racing with turns. If you can pull the other cars out of the turns, your one step ahead. High gear retard is also something you should try. I always ran 40 degs total timeing with a high gear retard down to 36 degs total. Theres all kind of ways to make a 2.3L run with the big dogs. By the way, Cyclone made the Ford header I'm told. Torque wins races. RPM wins Bonnyville. DICK.

Originally posted by SilverHorseRacing@Aug 10 2005, 11:33 PM
Dick,

Thanks. But what happens at Daytona or the straightaways at Sebring (long course) or front straight at Savannah? I guess what I'm asking is what do you consider a "short n slow" track / corner?

SilverHorseRacing
08-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Dick,

Interesting take on it. AS to 9k RPM windups... I'll leave that for the RX-7's, my hydraulic cam will never see the far side of 7k, let alone 9.

I may give it a try, just for fun and see what it can do. Of course Superchips will be upset with me, as they are tuning for the open exhaust it has now. We'll have to see where they come back at before I go messing with it again.

lateapex911
08-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Hey guys, interesting discussion.

I'm curious, what do you guys think a 2.3 can really make powerwise? whats the curve like?

Dick Elliott
08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Hard to tell as the majority of my racing Pintos was at 5000 ft plus. Best dyno runs were in the high 130s. With the Pinto set up, the curve is pretty flat from 4 to 6K (tractor motor-see) MUCH easyer to lean on a 2.0L Pinto engine and the car is 150lbs lighter too. Verticle air entry with a carb was a must! Timeing retard (2.3L) was a must!

Originally posted by lateapex911@Aug 12 2005, 02:40 AM

I'm curious, what do you guys think a 2.3 can really make powerwise? whats the curve like?

SilverHorseRacing
08-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Aug 11 2005, 10:40 PM

I'd say in the 130's, properly tuned and fully developed within the rules. If it were production, I'd bet 200 or more, as the circle track guys have no trouble acheiving this.

As to the curve, Dick is about right on, mine pulls from 3800-5700, then drops off fast. I don't spin past 6k right now, but hope to go to 6500 soon with software.