PDA

View Full Version : Kettle Moraine Regional 8/13&8/14

planet6racing
08-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Who's going? I'll be there in the 92 Saturn SL2, hopefully putting to use all the new tricks I've learned and trying to break my personal best time!

benracin
08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Yo, I'll be there to smack you around punk! :bash_1_:

I'll get one of these :smilie_pokal: after I drive right by you :eclipsee_steering: and you'll be all :119: while I go :figo: in the finish lane. Then, we drink.

:birra:

Sorry, it's just to much fun.

gsbaker
08-08-2005, 06:26 PM
A clear case of smilie overload. :023:

ddewhurst
08-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Ben, when ya talk the talk it's kind of fun when ya can walk the walk.

R2 Racing
08-08-2005, 11:43 PM
My Dad will be there in my ITA Integra. I'm pretty nervous about this since he's never driven it before and I'm not going to be there to yell at him if he hurts it. So please, don't mess up the orange ITA Integra - it's got a date with Road Atlanta in November!

Nah, honestly I'm not that worried. He's a pretty good driver. Just if you see him, tell him you saw his son worrying about his car on the internet. :D

benracin
08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm 90% talk, 10% walk, which is what makes it so fun. The closest I got to a podium finish is when I accidently was pointed to the impound line after a race. It was cool till they kicked me out. :unsure:

planet6racing
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Don't worry, Ben. Maybe one day, when you buy a real car, you'll be invited to impound and maybe even up to the podium! :D :happy204:

benracin
08-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Now that's just mean... who wants to help take him out! It's not as bad as it sounds. 90% of his car can be fixed with a blow dryer and some careful plastic bending.

ddewhurst
08-14-2005, 06:54 AM
***He's a pretty good driver.***

Kevin, yes he is a good driver. When she went I was at track side of hot pit near the flag station & I couldn't see your dad but somehow he saw out & landed safely.

Good job Dad ; )

1stGenBoy
08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
A fine 2nd place by Ben on Sun after a rocky start in impound after Sat's race. Good job!!!

Bob

R2 Racing
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst@Aug 14 2005, 05:54 AM
Kevin, yes he is a good driver. When she went I was at track side of hot pit near the flag station & I couldn't see your dad but somehow he saw out & landed safely.

Yea, he blew up my engine. I shouldn't say that "he blew it up" because I don't know what happened. All I know is that Saturday morning on the start of his 4th qualifying lap, the engine blew. I guess there's a nice hole in the #2 cylinder. I haven't even seen it yet since he doesn't get back until Wednesday.

C. Ludwig
08-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Aug 15 2005, 04:34 PM
Yea, he blew up my engine. I shouldn't say that "he blew it up" because I don't know what happened. All I know is that Saturday morning on the start of his 4th qualifying lap, the engine blew. I guess there's a nice hole in the #2 cylinder. I haven't even seen it yet since he doesn't get back until Wednesday.

Damn. Looks like two of the strongest IT cars in Cen-Div have been dealt a 1-2 punch. Best wishes on getting her going again.

benracin
08-15-2005, 05:25 PM
It was a darn good race and thank you David for all the help. Missed a crazy wreck right after the kink that is still giving me the shakes. Sounded like Driver is ok so that's good news. He got loose, flew right and into the wall and came back across the track as me and the VW behind me snuck by tucking in our tales. I guess the VW got tagged just a bit in the rear. Pretty scary stuff out there. Besides that though a great weekend! Saturday was a bummer. Who would of thought that buying a car from a 300lb guy when you only way 140lbs could get you bounced from 3rd to the back of the field! (we'll just say I was a little under weight)

And I remember seeing you in that same impound too Bob, good racing!

C. Ludwig
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by benracin@Aug 15 2005, 05:25 PM
Who would of thought that buying a car from a 300lb guy when you only way 140lbs could get you bounced from 3rd to the back of the field! (we'll just say I was a little under weight)

Always weigh at the track before you race. Scales vary enough from track to track to make this mandatory let alone your situation.

ddewhurst
08-16-2005, 07:18 AM
I had a great weekend with Ben, his family & crew. When Bill (plastic car, thanks Bill) is around the paddock there is never a slow moment. I keep forgetting what it's like to be under 30 years of age. If they ever get serious about racing, Ben will be a threat where ever he races.

Good job Ben. :023:
David

planet6racing
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately, my car showed me that it hasn't yet learned how to hold it until after we are on track, so I need to do some training between now and the next race (unless they make transmission diapers...)

Congratulations, Ben, on 2nd place! Now, go read the rules about ballast and get that all taken care of! Maybe at the Fall Sprints we'll both be able to run on track at the same time...

1stGenBoy
08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Aug 15 2005, 11:21 PM
Always weigh at the track before you race. Scales vary enough from track to track to make this mandatory let alone your situation.

The problem was these scales varied from session to session and day to day.
I had the same amount of fuel in the car and did the same exact number of laps in both qualifying and the race and I weighed different every time. Not by a few pounds we are talking 30 plus or more. I always weigh the car after every session. It helps keep track of what regions scales do what and at what track.

Bob

gsbaker
08-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst@Aug 16 2005, 07:18 AM
...When Bill (plastic car, thanks Bill) is around the paddock there is never a slow moment. I keep forgetting what it's like to be under 30 years of age....And that's without caffiene. :119:

benracin
08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
The scales did change from Saturday to Sunday that's for sure. The amount of weight I added should of put me over by maybe 10, instead I was over by 30! I even weighed what I was putting in before I added it. Oh well.

planet6racing
08-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I think, next time, Ben, you should ask to see the calibration certificates for the scales. IIRC, there is a method according to the GCR that is supposed to be used to insure that the scales are performing, in their location, properly.

I heard many complaints about the scales...

1stGenBoy
08-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by planet6racing@Aug 18 2005, 02:07 PM
I think, next time, Ben, you should ask to see the calibration certificates for the scales. IIRC, there is a method according to the GCR that is supposed to be used to insure that the scales are performing, in their location, properly.

I heard many complaints about the scales...

Either the scales themselves can be certified or a certified test weight can be used. He is the kicker: the test weight has to be a minimum 250lbs for an individual scale or 750lbs for a platform set up. Now we all know that these are individual scales that only measure 2 wheels at a time. So we, would need 250lbs to test each scale correct? I saw tech only put 1 weight on it to check the scale and 1 guy lifted it with 1 hand. Does not sound like 250lbs to me.
I should know my rules better but, since I'm over weight most of the time I'm not concerned as much as I should be.
I just got info the below on Tue:
How about this. At the Chicago race at Autobahn the track owners kid drove his ATV through the tech area and wiped out the scale control head. They are suppose to replace it with a new unit. Was this the damaged unit they used or a back up set of scales that is no good?

Bob

benracin
08-19-2005, 08:23 AM
Well what was I thinking, I should of protested! Where were you guys when I needed it!

:D

1stGenBoy
08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by benracin@Aug 19 2005, 12:23 PM
Well what was I thinking, I should of protested! Where were you guys when I needed it!

:D

The problem with protesting the scales is that they"are the official scales of the event". I do not not recall anyone ever winning a protest against scales. I could be wrong though. Thoughts?

Bob

planet6racing
08-19-2005, 10:35 AM
If it were me, my first question would have been calibration.

As Bob eluded to earlier, they are supposed to, at a minimum, verify the scales with a 250 lbm weight. Here's what the GCR has to say:

11.3.3 Official Scales

A. The scales at the event are the official scales for the event. The times when they are available shall be published in the Supplemental Regulations so drivers may compare their cars weight to the official measurement.

B. Individual scale pads that weigh a single wheel are preferrable. Platform scales, or individual scales that weigh one axle (two wheels) at a time, are acceptable. Scales or test weights shall be certified.

11.3.4 Certification
The Scales shall be certified by:

A. On-site certification by a commercial scale service within ninety (90) days prior to the event, OR

B. Use at the track of certification weights, minimum 250 pounds total for individual wheel scales and minimum 750 pounds total for platform scales.

Based on that, I would have, at a minimum, asked to see the verification record and asked to have the scales re-verified at that time. If either of these could not have been done (especially the former), I would have protested the scales. Of course, seeing as how I'm a test engineer and get these types of questions all the time, I may be pickier than the average person, but I still would have done it!

benracin
08-19-2005, 10:56 AM
It would of been cool to do all that. I did have one thing going against me though, that it was the end of the day and my protest would keep thousands of starving workers from the chicken for 30 minutes. I'm sure I'd be burned at the stake or served for dinner for that. Over all though I still feel like I got 3rd, I just don't have the little trophy for it. Not like I'm in a championship or something.

I did get weighed 3 times though, once backwards, and I did see them put "some" weights on the scales. Who knows. That part that concerned me the most was when you add 30 pounds of weight and end up with the scales saying you added 50. If I was smart I should of asked for the lead filled bottle of "gatoraid" while I was sitting there the first time.