PDA

View Full Version : Config Requests

Greg Amy
08-08-2005, 02:47 PM
A place to make setup requests...

First, is it possible to config within my abilities to not have the old topics show up each time I log in? In other words, when I've visited the board, then leave, then come back, the same topics are showing with new posts although they are not new since the last visit.

Second, are there any config options from the Moderator's point of view that would make the icons for "New Replies" and "No New Replies" more distinguishable? The Light Blue and Lighter Blue (respectively) are a bit close...

imported_Webmaster
08-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I totally agree on the icon status question. It's something that I'll be changing down the road. Not a high priority.

Also I do belive you can filter what you see when you log in. Let me look into that further.

- Webmaster

Andy Bettencourt
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Would it be possible to DISable the feature of "Guests" posting? This accomplishes two things IMHO...

1. It prevents non-members from coming in and creating controversy or slamming someone in a very anonymous way.

2. It prevents dopes like me who think they are signed in from posting under a "Guest" name by accident!

AB

JIgou
08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Not a huge item, but I'd like to see the "breadcrumb" navigation that appears towards the top of the page duplicated at the bottom of the page.

But even without, it's still a VERY nice improvement. Great job!

Jarrod

imported_Webmaster
08-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Aug 9 2005, 09:32 AM
Would it be possible to DISable the feature of "Guests" posting? This accomplishes two things IMHO...

1. It prevents non-members from coming in and creating controversy or slamming someone in a very anonymous way.

2. It prevents dopes like me who think they are signed in from posting under a "Guest" name by accident!

AB

Agreed what forums is this still happening in??
I turned most of this capability off yesterday.

I'd like to see the "breadcrumb" navigation that appears towards the top of the page duplicated at the bottom of the page.

This would be custom code that would not be something I coudl implement for a long time. Too man yother issues to deal with. Ping me again in a few months to see if I can do it then.

- Webmaster

Andy Bettencourt
08-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Rules and Reg - Pinned question on Ad-hoc forum...was me...

AB

imported_Webmaster
08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Aug 8 2005, 02:47 PM
A place to make setup requests...

Greg,
Can you clarify what you mean here?

Greg Amy
08-11-2005, 12:13 PM
That was a (poorly worded) statement. What I meant was, "Here's a topic that we can use to place specific configuration/setup requests." - GA

chuck baader
08-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Check your clock...or are you going GMT time? Chuck

Greg Amy
08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by chuck baader@Aug 11 2005, 08:36 PM
Check your clock...or are you going GMT time? Chuck

Chuck, all work is done on this board (and, in fact, the vast majority of the world's computers and networks) in Greenwich Mean Time. Every user, therefore, has an individual setting that they control in order to properly display the time for them.

The problem you're having is that you have not yet set the time zone for yourself, thus you're displaying GMT (the default) on everything. To change this, you need to select "My Controls" from the top of this page, then the "Board Settings" link on the lower left. There you can change the board default for you from GMT to your time zone. Once you do that, all times on this board will display properly for you... GA

Greg Amy
08-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, what he said...

erlrich
08-30-2005, 05:38 AM
I think the garage idea is very cool, but I would like to make just one request: can we get an option added in the "model" section to either type in the model, or at least add an "other" option? My relatively common car model (1990 240SX) doesn't come up as an option, so I would be willing to bet there are others that aren't on the list - it might be easier to just let the user type in an alternate model than have to ammend the list every time someone whines that "my car isn't on the list" (said in his best whiney voice).

Thanks

Bill Miller
08-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Can you change the navigation so that the 'Back' button will take you out of the forums? Looks like the link off the main page goes to a directory known as "Discussions", but there's a redirect to a directory known as "Forums". When you hit the back button out of "Forums", it takes you to "Discussions", but the redirect dumps you back into "Forums"

Bill, I know you're probably real busy, it's just an observation. And, I appreciated how you took the extra navigation layer out, when entering the forums

imported_Webmaster
08-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by erlrich@Aug 30 2005, 05:38 AM
My relatively common car model (1990 240SX) doesn't come up as an option, so

Wow, there are a lot of Nissans missing from that list. <_<
I&#39;ve added the 240SX. :023:
Can somebody supply a list of common IT Nissans that are missing.

imported_Webmaster
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller@Aug 30 2005, 07:41 AM
Can you change the navigation so that the &#39;Back&#39; button will take you out of the forums?

Bill, took me a while to figure out what link you were referring to :blink:
I think you mean the "Improved Touring Website" link located underneath the IT Logo in the upper left ??

One of the most difficult aspects of dealing with these forums is the modification of the UI look and feel. I&#39;m used to doing these things directly in the code via CSS, HTML, JS etc.... unfortunately doing that here could result in disaster since the app is designed to be changed only through the ACP (Admin Control Panel) and it&#39;s embedded editors.

So this is a long winded excuse :P for why I have not changed teh forums from their defulat styles yet. I will educate myself on the UI mods (skins) in the near future and we&#39;ll see if we can&#39;t get them looking liek the rest of the IT.com site.

One goal is to incorporate the header that is found throughout the rest of the site into each forum page in place of the large "stolen" :unsure: graphic currently at the top.

PS - You want to be a moderator like you were before? :bash_1_: :lol: As the forums grow I could use a bit of help keeping discussions in the right forums/sub-forums etc.

Greg Amy
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
NX2000... ;)

erlrich
08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Webmaster@Aug 30 2005, 09:53 AM
Wow, there are a lot of Nissans missing from that list. <_<
I&#39;ve added the 240SX. :023:
Can somebody supply a list of common IT Nissans that are missing.

How about all of the Z-cars, and then of course there&#39;s the Datsun 510 in ITC.