PDA

View Full Version : Daytona SARRC X 2

Guest_Rob May_*
08-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Give it up. Gimme some reports.............

Guest_Mazmarc63_*
08-08-2005, 07:12 AM
You suck. Thats your report. :D

Basically, your record from 3 months ago got destroyed on sat by 2 BMW's and a Mercedes!

I wasn't there Sun but I heard a very famous Spec Miata driver found a way into another very famous Mercedes and showed everybody just how fast that car is. Grumblings about a 2:14XXX in qualifying. :o

Alas, it rained on that parade. Don't know how it turned out.

Glad my buddy Peg Leg is okay. He slammed the T2 wall pretty good. New car on the way.

Marc Dana

zracre
08-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Interesting weekend...87 cars took the green on sat and just a few less on sunday. Sunday it was beautiful and sunny until we drove off the grid...it was still beautiful and sunny but pouring. rain hard in turn 1 :119: and infield...just slick in the chicane and the rest of the track. I started 87th on sat with no qualifying and got to 23 overall and 4th in ITA. Sunday I qualified next to Dean's BMW (Dean 2.21.487 me 2.21.586) there were alot of good ITA cars there filling the grid within 5 spots of everyone else in ITA. the rain mixed everything up, i slid my way back to 3rd and stayed there. :unsure: I am not sure how the front of the ITS field played out but im sure there are people on here that can post results...

Mazmarc63
08-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Got to admit Evan, you were flying on Sat. I saw you have a problem at T3 in quallifying. Good job on pulling behind that barrier. :happy204: That makes the workers happy. You obviously fixed whatever was wrong for the race. Nice start with Goldin behind you. That should be a nice video. The next time I'm at the same track as you I will introduce myself.

Marc Dana

zracre
08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
I wish i had turned on the camera for the sat race :blink: ...it was like a video game going thru the pack...some of the most fun i have had in a long time...i have a vid of the sunday race but it is kinda boring. the new track surface is awesome!! lots of grip and real easy on tires...not to mention the lap times dropping a bunch. My hoosiers were not up to the task when it is raining real hard but i was surprised at the grip even on a damp track. now if i could just find that magic sponsor to give me a fresh motor, 4:79 gear and a hondata ecu...

Guest_Rob May_*
08-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Yo wood. Happy birthday! :) I was hearing grumblings about the bullet coming back out?

Yeah, I know about the record. I started the trend though. :P I heard the new surface is awesome.

Everyone wants to know......The bullet gonna be at the labor day race?

Mazmarc63
08-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Yo Stick......happy birthday to you too. :023:

Thanks to OBF-KSA at Bodyshop.com, the Bullit is straight and true AND one color again. :D It however will NOT be at the Labor Day Sebring weekend. Got 3 weeks to build a car for Rob W. He is leading the regional points and we need to help get him back out there. I'm shooting to debut the Bullit at either the Oct. regional or the Turkey Trot.

Hope everything is well with you. Looked for you all day on Sat.

Marc

Guest_charrbq_*
08-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Guest_Rob May_*@Aug 7 2005, 10:13 PM
Give it up. Gimme some reports.............

I had a mixed bag. Qualified Sat as fast as I'd gone in May...slow. Moron (name withheld) left the hood pins out for race...said hood came open on the pace lap and boogered the windshield. Pit Marshall secured it and sent me back out...1/2 lap behind whole field. Worked my way back up to my Q pos and going for one more when laps ran out. Took 3 seconds off my fastest time running with no draft.

Sunday, Q'ed the same as Sat race lap. Moved up 7 pos on grid, in the thick of ITC for once. Ran the race of my life with three of the best drivers I've ever competed with...plus a couple of lost and confused SM's...for third through 6th. Finished 4th after one of the SM's decided to make a low percentage pass in the chicane the almost took out 3rd and did cause 4th to spin. Took two more seconds off my fastest time during the race. Almost got competitive!!!

Thanks to the guidance of friends, new and old, and race stewards for help with my windshield repair and for letting me race on Sunday. The new glass is in today and the hood is being returned to a more aerodynamic condition.

Weekend was hot, but a great trip. Worth the 12 hour tow from Baton Rouge any day to race the guys there.

:023:

DavidM
08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend. I'll have to try and make the trip down next year.

So was everybody on slicks (and a dry setup) for the Sunday race and then it started to rain as everyone pulled off grid? I would think that would make for an interesting driving experience. How was the track under those conditions?

David

Goodrad
08-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Actually it was just a "Sun Shower", going into turn one with 85 plus cars was alittle tense after 2 laps the track was dry. With that said I would just like to say to all the drivers in Group 4 GREAT JOB! Do you realize that we were the only group that didn't have a full course yellow during our races. With that many cars I think that was outstanding. Again Good Job it made for some good racing. Congrats to Todd Burras you were in class by yourself on Sunday.

Russell
08-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Goodrad@Aug 11 2005, 05:54 PM
With that said I would just like to say to all the drivers in Group 4 GREAT JOB! Do you realize that we were the only group that didn't have a full course yellow during our races.

Does that make up for the black flag during Saturday morning practice??? I hope so.

All and all it was a fun weekend

Russell McMullan
#62 ITA SE-R

zracre
08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
that was interesting...cars with hoods up and in the wall on the pace lap!! the rest of the weekend was great though!! It was great to see a full ITA field although I would rather have the ITB cars with the ITC cars...no offense intended (I ran ITB for a few years) but the closing speeds were sometimes rediculous.

SilverHorseRacing
08-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by zracre@Aug 12 2005, 09:16 AM
that was interesting...cars with hoods up and in the wall on the pace lap!! the rest of the weekend was great though!! It was great to see a full ITA field although I would rather have the ITB cars with the ITC cars...no offense intended (I ran ITB for a few years) but the closing speeds were sometimes rediculous.

I literally had my ears pop coming off of NASCAR 2 when the lead P / ITS cars came by, I was guessing closing speed around 45-50 mph!

So I wouldn't mind being with the C cars either, but it did make for some interesting moments.

Goodrad
08-13-2005, 07:04 AM
[quote]
Does that make up for the black flag during Saturday morning practice??? I hope so.

I don't know, you tell me. I would rather have a black flag in Saturday morning practice than a full course yellow during the race. Actually the rain and the way it came was the worst part of the weekend for me.

zracre
08-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I think the rain caught everyone out...beautifull and sunny AND raining Right when they gave the 5 minute warning. i have the perfect set of toyos that were waiting for me at my truck... :angry: oh well...those on toyos seemed to smile when the rain started...I need to test and tune one day to make my car happy on them...I just love the grip of the hoosiers...

Chris Wire
08-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Results for the SARRC DOS are now posted at the Central Florida Region website (cfrscca.org) and also at mylaps.com.

Sorry Rob, your 15.8 from May is officially SMASHED!

After checking the qualifying times from Sunday, I heard talk of Todd Buras mistakenly shortcutting the chicane on the backstretch resulting in a 14.0 and a full second on Chet in the Bimmer. I was rather bewildered to see on mylaps that his second fastest time was actually a 14.1! I wonder if he cut it twice or was the Benz on the 'bottle'? :119:

Richy Gonzalez
08-14-2005, 10:58 PM
As for Ray (GBRacing SM #23), he finished 13th. He simply had a blast. His best race was on Sunday. Past a few cars and did a lot of bump drafting. ...and if I can quote him that's the most exciting race I've ever driven :023:

charrbq
08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
I'd a whole lot rather race with the ITB cars than the SM's! But then, so would most IT drivers (to my knowledge). I know time constraints at different courses play heavy into class groupings, but wouldn't it be nice to have all those Miata's run their own race? Here's an idea...cut their race length in half. After half way, most of the positions are set and the demolition drivers have already crashed out of the race anyway! Oh well, it's worth a try. :119:

Todd Buras
08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
[quote]
Results for the SARRC DOS are now posted at the Central Florida Region website (cfrscca.org) and also at mylaps.com.

I am starting hear a few rumblings about my qualifying times at Daytona and wanted to let everyone know that the Mercedes is one of the best handling cars I have driven and the brakes are awesome. Along with the cool weather; the new infield pavement with some fresh rubber down, nobody can't tell me that Rob May in the RX-7 would have been just as fast. Chet ran a 15.1 and came in on his second lap with a problem, Scott Seck dropped 1.8 sec from Sat to Sun.

In the Miata the old Track record was a 2.26:6 and the new track record on Sun was a 2.23:3. Faster?
:023:

its66
08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Todd,
Excellent run on Sunday. With three laps in the low 14's, nobody can call it anything but a fast car with a talented driver. Hats(er helmets) off to you. Stop by at Sebring, I'll buy you a beer to go with those Donuts.

Jim
ITS66 :023:

Richy Gonzalez
08-18-2005, 05:59 PM
First, very impressive Todd. It was very entertainting to watch you go through the horse shoe. Mike should let you drive that thing at a drift event :eclipsee_steering:

Originally posted by Todd Buras@Aug 18 2005, 04:11 PM
Scott Seck dropped 1.8 sec from Sat to Sun.

As far as Scott, he fought axle problems all weekend and a couple of laps into Sundays race, passenger side axle let go again (boot) so he put in cruise mode to finish.

Oh, and its66. Love the Bud logo. That is best looking RX-7 out there :023:

Chris Wire
08-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Todd Buras@Aug 18 2005, 12:11 PM

I am starting hear a few rumblings about my qualifying times at Daytona...

Todd,

That was sort of my point, to disspell any notion that the "shortcut" story was more than simply a story. My comment on Benz was more astonishment than anything, as Mike has always been one of the very fastest guys at Daytona, and for you to best him by 2 full seconds from Saturday was pretty amazing. Your destruction of the rest of the field in the Sunday SM race was beyond impressive. Nice job all around.

See everyone at Sebring! :006:

its66
08-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Richy Gonzalez@Aug 18 2005, 09:59 PM
(delete)
Oh, and its66. Love the Bud logo. That is best looking RX-7 out there :023:

Richie,

Not for long. I hear a "rumor" that the famed Silver Bullet will be back out soon with a custom paint job that would put many show cars to shame. I guess I need to get back to work on mine :023:

Jim

Mazmarc63
08-19-2005, 09:34 AM
I can definitely second its66's opinion of the Bullet. :D

Chris Wire
08-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Mazmarc63@Aug 19 2005, 09:34 AM
I can definitely second its66's opinion of the Bullet. :D

Bodyshop *dot* com to the rescue !!! :happy204:

Green Flag Inc
10-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Mazmarc63@Aug 8 2005, 06:15 PM
Yo Stick......happy birthday to you too. :023:

Thanks to OBF-KSA at Bodyshop.com, the Bullit is straight and true AND one color again. :D It however will NOT be at the Labor Day Sebring weekend. Got 3 weeks to build a car for Rob W. He is leading the regional points and we need to help get him back out there. I'm shooting to debut the Bullit at either the Oct. regional or the Turkey Trot.

Hope everything is well with you. Looked for you all day on Sat.

Marc

Hmmm... Sebring Turkey Trot huh?? That's an interesting thought. Where exactly is that Sebring track located by the way??

CB