PDA

View Full Version : Incentives on '05 Chevy/GMC vehicles

Bill Miller
06-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Just thought I'd pass this on. I'm not connected w/ GM in anyway, but I am thinking of buying a new truck.

They're giving the GM employee discount on all new vehicles, in addition to any other incentives that apply (in my area, $3k or discounted financing), until July 4th weekend.

For example, I'm looking at a 2500 HD 4x4 X-cab 8' bed. Base on the truck is ~$35k, optioned up (SLE pkg + some stuff), is ~$36,500. "Call on the phone" price is $28,200. I figure I can probably get it down to $27,000, or there abouts. Still a lot of money, but it sure would be nice to have a new truck!!!

Just thought I'd pass it along.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Hmm, just announced they are closing a bunch of plants, and laying off another 25,000 workers and now they decide they can afford to offer big incentives so people will by their overpriced vehicles......Yeah, I know, ain't nuttin cheap anymore.

No thanks, I'll still stick with Mopar, I worked for a subcontractor to GM for 8 years, that was enough to sour me on GM for life. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/rolleyes.gif

JamesB
06-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Eh I found the GM had their days and had their bad days. The current Duramax Allison combo is well loved by the towing community, mostly RV and heavy hauling contractors.

I wouldnt mind checking it out myself locally, its been finding the time to make it to a dealer.

mowog
06-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes GM is in trouble. Yes GM is closing some plants (employees were told long ago). Yes they have some very good incentives....

I just got back from Lime Rock, towing my enclosed trailer with my new 2005 3500 Silverado. As I was accelerating up hills, with the AC going, while listining to XM radio, I was thinking this is so nice it much somehow be unethical to be so comfortable and relaxed while towing to a race on a hot day.

So my advice is don't pass up this opportunity!

[This message has been edited by mowog (edited June 12, 2005).]

JamesB
06-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah, well if the price is right its better then the current used market pricing for an 01 and up truck with low milage. That is my reason to look at the incentives. But with others now upgrading there could be a deal to be had, so weighing options and still going to find time to hit a dealer up (so far I keep getting home around 8pm which makes that a wash)

Bill Miller
06-12-2005, 08:42 PM
I wonder what the lease rates are???

------------------
SCCA 279608

06-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Well, I just talked to a cousin of mine in upstate NY and he's been shopping for a Caddy CTS for the past 6 months.
He heard about the incentives, went to check on the price now, and said it's higher than it was 3 months ago on the same car..... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/rolleyes.gif Go figure.....

Daryl DeArman
06-12-2005, 11:28 PM
...And they aren't giving the employee pricing on all vehicles...no discount on the Corvette, for example.

mgyip
06-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
I wonder what the lease rates are???

Lease? Don't waste your money on leasing - it's a ripoff for the vast majority of potential buyers. That is unless you really WANT a car payment for life and intend to switch cars every 3-4 years. Besides, the bite in the butt with leasing is maintenance - no, no one actually maintains the mechanicals of a lease car BUT the cosmetics of a lease vehicle are paramount, especially since the lease document is purposely vague (Read: Normal Wear and Tear).

IIRC, GM's incentives specifically exclude the Corvette and Medium-Duty trucks. However I've heard of some dealers that are willing to deal on medium-duty trucks. Given that GM sales are worse that VW sales were in the mid-90s (Bill - you should appreciate that), I'm confident that you can find a good deal on just about any General Morons vehicle.

Speaking of the Medium-Duty truck however - I had the opportunity to drive both a GMC 3500 and a Ford F350 back-to-back at Carmax. The GMC is much more car-like than the Ford to the point that it doesn't even seem that one is driving a truck. Apparently Carmax likes the GMC better as well since both were priced at $36K and the GMC had 14K miles while the Ford only had 5.5K miles - go figure.

BUMPnGO
06-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Actually, Leasing makes great sense for me:
I drive fewer than 1000 miles a month. I like driving a newer vehicle every few years. I write off almost the entire lease on my small business. The vehicle is always under warranty. No DP and they made the first payment for me. At lease end, they are always trying to sell you the vehicle and keep dropping the price, so the residual value in the the original contract is meaningless. New vehicles depreciate like rocks now, up to 54% in two years. I am old and don't need the hassles of used junk. The payment on my 04 GMC Envoy is 279 a month + tax. Tows my CRX and trailer fine. Before this, I leased a 01 Rodeo. Month before the lease expired, I towed to Sebring from Orlando and it used 1 1/2 quarts of oil with 34,000 on the odometer. Was happy to return it before it blew up.

charrbq
06-15-2005, 02:56 PM
I've owned three GM trucks since '92 and have been more than satisfied with each. My '92 had 250,000 on the odo when I sold it. Never gave me any problem until stuff just started getting old. Bought an '04 that only lasted 14 months before an errant driver put it and I into the retaining wall on the interstate. Can't blame GM for that. Bought a new one exactly like it and love it even more. They have been my daily drivers and get excellent mileage whether towing or running errands around town. I gave thought to a Ford in between GMC's and even rented one. It was huge and difficult to drive. Even my friends noticed that. It was very quiet running, but road rough as hell. All of them were 1/2 tons with V8's. Yes, it is almost sinful how well the GM's ride and how "car like" the interiors and handling is.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

ITANorm
06-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Just a technical correction: One-ton pickups (F-350, C/K-3500, etc.), are not "medium-duty" trucks. That designation doesn't start until the 1.5 ton trucks (F-450, C-4500, etc.). Unless you really need a medium-duty, don't get one - because your insurance will skyrocket.

whenry
06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
The only real issue for me is the long term implications for GM(and really the whole car/truck business) because once they offer this incentive (and all domestic manuf will have to respond), how do they put the genie back in the bottle? To me this move may begin the death of GM. I havent owned a GM in yrs since I found that Ford trucks are more reliable and all my street cars are japanese but see the long term economic effect. At best, our tax dollars may be used to bail out GM; at worst, a depression.
I hate to talk such a serious subject on race site but .....Otherwise go take advantage of the deal.

Fleetcare
06-26-2005, 09:43 PM
My suburban would be traded in if they offered the diesel in one..Bastards! Build it and I will buy it!

Bill Miller
06-27-2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Fleetcare:
My suburban would be traded in if they offered the diesel in one..Bastards! Build it and I will buy it!

Not sure about the 2500 'burbans, but I know Ford offered the PSD in the Excursion.

------------------
SCCA 279608

tom_sprecher
06-27-2005, 10:02 AM
I don't know about the GM employee discount but the last time I could buy car using an employee discount I was able to get a better price buying at "invoice".

I bought an F250 in Dec '03. I got "invoice" pricing from 8 dealers in the Atlanta area. I would call asking for a salesman, explain to him that I wanted to email a description of the vehicle that he could bid on. One said they won't sell me a truck that way and I told him he would not sell me a truck any other way. He sent a fax.

All were within $150 of each other except one that was close to $2k more. The one that got the sale gave me the best price for my trade-in. I went in informed w/the value of my car and walked out of a couple of places if they did not want to play ball. The sales manager of one called me back the next day and gave me the deal I wanted.

Basically, if they are interested at one price and let you walk at the next lower price you're real close to what they can sell it at and still make their margin. And they have to make a profit or they can't stay in business.

------------------
Tom Sprecher
Team SuperTech

[This message has been edited by tom_sprecher (edited June 27, 2005).]