PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a Shelter to Trailer

Ron Earp
05-24-2005, 10:01 AM
I bought one of these "lean to" type shelters from Racer Wholesale to go on my trailer. You know, uses electrical conduit and has connectors that attach (I think) to the sides of the trailer to hold up one side.

Question - How does one attach the connectors to the sides of the trailer? I don't have documentation, it didn't come with any. Does one use something like a 5" bolt and bolt it completely through the trailer? I don't know much about trailer construction either so please bear with me on this one. Any tips on using these contraptions?

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

gsbaker
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Ron,

Is there some kind of connector/anchor on the end of the conduit where it attaches to the trailer, or is it just a pole?

G

Ron Earp
05-24-2005, 12:18 PM
http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/prod...products_id=316 (http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=84&products_id=316)

Go there and enlarge that picture. Those things that connect the tubes need to attach to the trailer. There are holes in those pieces, I just need to know the best way to attach them. Get a big ass drill bit and go all the way through the trailer, then attach with bolt and nut and a lot of sealant?

R

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

johng
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
The web site lists;
"Brackets for attaching canopy to Trailer SOLD SEPERATELY".

Did you get these, or are you trying to figure out a way to attach those brackets? I'm interested in this also.

Contact Racer Wholesale for the directions, or call Holiday Canopies at 800-788-3969 and see if they can help.

Ron Earp
05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Got'em, trying to figure out the best way to attach them.

R

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Matt Rowe
05-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Ron,

The answer is VERY securely. Considering the amount of force even a light wind puts on a big canopy you want the brackets to be on there well. I haven't done this myself, but I have seen the damage that can be caused when it isn't done well. Be sure to run the bolts for the brackets through the studs of the trailer frame and not just through the outer skin. I'm not sure if your trailer has an inner liner or not but I would also consider using a backup plate on the inside. It may be overkill, but I would rest easier at night knowing my canopy is less likely to show up on air traffic control radar. I'm sure some other people have a little more experience but hopefully this helps.

------------------
~Matt Rowe
ITA Shelby Charger
MARRS #96

jcmotorsports
05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
ron
i attached my canopy to my trailer 2 weeks ago. i used self tapping screws (for metal), and drilled them in the metal studs on the side of the trailer. i have a 12'x20' canopy and attached 4 brackets.
john costello