PDA

View Full Version : Truck Rental vs. Purchase

planet6racing
03-16-2005, 03:19 PM
OK, I'm in a bit of a dilemna here and am hoping that the IT forum folks can help me.

Last year, towing to Road Atlanta for the ARRC, it became very evident that something needs to be done about my tow vehicle (currently 92 Ford E150). The way I see it, I have a few options:

1) Build engine in current tow vehicle to handle the loads in the hills. This would run approximately $3000 by the time all is said and done.

2) Replace current vehicle with a 3/4 pickup. Payments on this vehicle would be about $4000 per year.

3) Fix minor problems with tow vehicle and rent a truck for the long tows. There would be about $750 in repairs to the current vehicle necessary for this year.

My biggest stumbling point on buying a new (to me, anyway) truck is the fact that I'd maybe put 5000 miles a year on it. With gas prices going the way they are, I wouldn't want to drive it unless my daily driver was in need of repair. I just can't see the need to spend all that money for a new vehicle that would reduce my racing schedule (budgetary reasons) which is the reason I need the truck...

Any insight would be much appreciated. Any offers to tow my car and stuff to the 2005 ARRC while I just fly in would be met with extreme jubilation!!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

handfulz28
03-16-2005, 03:45 PM
If you like everything about the current tow vehicle except how it handles the terrain on long hauls, you're probably best off making the improvements necessary to take that off your mind.
Where/what kind of truck would you rent if you went that route? Would you have confidence about its maintenance and upkeep?
Buying a new/used vehicle would just plain cost more, unless there were other things about the current vehicle you weren't happy with, or you derive other "utility" from the new vehicle.
Personally, I recently sold my 1/2 ton pickup and 4dr sedan and bought a 3/4 ton SUV (used) and enclosed trailer. I was fortunate enough to come out with cash left over. The SUV burns more gas, but makes up for it in so many other places.
Hope this helps,
Michael

Hammer
03-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Years ago I rented pickup trucks from the local Ford Heavy Truck dealer before I bought a tow vehicle. The trucks were well maintained and I never had a problem. The only downside is they also had a per mile charge in addition to the rental fee.

If you have an open trailer, you should see if Hertz or any other rental companies by you have any Ford Excursions or Expeditions to rent. The Eddie Bauer Expedition I think comes with a tow package standard and no one has to tell the rental company what you are using it for. You also will not get charged mileage. We have been looking into this for our long distance tows to save the wear and tear on our tow vehicle.

Ron Earp
03-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I would lean toward rebuilding the motor in the tow truck and get the price down as much as you can. If you like it, use it. That thing was put on this planet for one purpose - for you to use it up!

I just got into this whole IT thing but when I did I couldn't see having a daily driver and a tow truck. Also wanted my daily driver to be fun and something I enjoyed tooling around in. So, I got a Lightning and, against a lot of warnings, it tows absolutely fine. Plus it is fun to drive everyday and extremely useful for house stuff - first truck I've ever owned and the best car/truck I've ever owned according to my wife.

R

bill f
03-16-2005, 10:22 PM
I have been anticipating the EVENTUAL failure of the tow vehicle engine. The only replacement that makes any sense to me is a crate motor. Swap it out in a weekend, and be off.

Rebuilding has merit, but the costs will be comparible. Also, with a crate motor you may have the option to upgrade the size/power to make the rig better.

Good racing.

bill

Fleetcare
03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
I personally rented from Armada on long hauls. $50 a day so its about $150 a weekend.. Not bad at all for a 1 ton Dually!

CaptainWho
03-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Geez, where are you located? Last time I checked here (Atlanta area) Armada was about $90 per day for a 1 ton truck.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing (http://www.nutdriver.org)
ITA/IT7 Gen1 RX-7
SEDiv/AtlRegion