PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tow Vehicle Idea

Greg Amy
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
I ran across these for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4529003343 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4529003343)

These are ex NYC shuttle vans. 1999 Ford 1-ton E-350 and E-450 chassis, 7.3L diesel Powerstroke engines, E4OD trannies, airbag suspensions, anywhere from 140k to 250k miles. TONS of space, seating for more than enough, and wheelchair lifts to get tools and equipment in and out. You could literally turn these into campers and still have enough space for all your stuff.

I drove to Queens to check them out, and they're certainly worth the $3500 he's asking for each (he had 43 of them at one time). I was *this* close to spending the money, but it all came down to "where am I gonna put it?" Without the space I had to (sadly) pass.

Give him a call, I bet he's got some left over.

GregA

spnkzss
03-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Make sur eyou can insure it before you buy it. I had a heck of a time insuring an '87 Ford E350 box truck that i use to tow my trailor and carry my parts in and sleep in.

Spanky
#??? ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

joeg
03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Probably beat to death...?

Greg Amy
03-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
Probably beat to death...?

You'd think. However, the bodies were straight, very little external cosmetic damage. They appeared to be well-used but also well-cared for. They're only 5-ish years old, and other than the occasional torn vinyl seat I was suitably impressed. The City apparently replaces them automatically every 5 years; this guy went to the auction and bought the whole lot of themm.

Definitely worth the $3500 (for a 5-yr-old 1-ton E-350 Powerstroke diesel!) Wish I had the space.

As for insurance, "it's a camper."

gsbaker
03-23-2005, 05:32 PM
This sounds like a great deal for anyone looking for a stand-alone tow vehicle. Most fleet vehicles are well maintained--a bit worn perhaps, but the diesels are solid and how many miles will you put on it going to the track and back?

G

spnkzss
03-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy:
You'd think. However, the bodies were straight, very little external cosmetic damage. They appeared to be well-used but also well-cared for. They're only 5-ish years old, and other than the occasional torn vinyl seat I was suitably impressed. The City apparently replaces them automatically every 5 years; this guy went to the auction and bought the whole lot of themm.

Definitely worth the $3500 (for a 5-yr-old 1-ton E-350 Powerstroke diesel!) Wish I had the space.

As for insurance, "it's a camper."

It's a camper if it has running water, a toilet, and proof of these items. I understand that would be simple to do, but you would still have to do it.

Spanky
#??? ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

Daryl DeArman
03-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Don't some of the very basic "campers" have one of those port-a-potty things and a little tiny water tank?

5 gal thermos and a bucket and a roll of toilet paper could make a camper...no?

dickita15
03-24-2005, 08:17 AM
In Mass we have had camper plates on our box truck for years with no problem.
dick