PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide - enclosed vs open

sevenracer
03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I need a trailer, and I had planned on getting an 18' open steel trailer. Prices seem to around $2000 to $2500 depending on whether it has a full deck or not.

Then I find a 2001 8.5 X 20' Cargo Mate for sale. I think I can get this trailer for $4k including a wt. distributing hitch. It looks to be in good condition, but it has not been used for hauling a car, it has rear doors instead of a beaver tail.

So my question is, do you think I should go for the enclosed? I planned to get one in a couple of years if possible. $4k is the most I am willing to spend on a trailer right now, and I would have to install tie downs and build some ramps. Anyhting I need to do to verify this thing can handle a car? It sure looks like a standard car hauler to me. I believe it has 7k axles.

Thanks,
Neil

B Schley
03-11-2005, 05:57 PM
What is your tow vehicle? An enclosed trailer provides alot more wind resistance when towing so your current tow vehicle will have to be able to handle it. I personally wouldn't get an enclosed trailer without the beaver tail. That tail makes it so much easier to load. I understand you would build ramps, but why buy something that is not exactly what you want. I tow with a 16ft open trailer that we attached a job box to the front for storage. It works great. Is the open trailer new? I would go with that and save the $1500 for the race car, or tires, or more track time, unless money isn't an issue. Just my two cents.
--Bill

sevenracer
03-11-2005, 07:13 PM
I tow with an '04 Nissan Titan, so I think I'm ok on tow capacity.

I checked and comparable enclosed trailers new are about $5500 - but with a beaver tail and some tie downs (and warranty). That's too much for me to justify.

I like the idea of more, weatherproof, lockable storage, and a place to escape the weather at the track. I've been using open trailers, and I wouldn't say that works great for me.

racer_tim
03-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Invest in the enclosed trailer vs. the open. You still have to store it, and you might as well use it as storage. Building rear ramps shouldn't be a big deal.

What car is going "IN" the trailer?

Keep in mind, that you can find a used open trailer for around $1,000, if your really budget minded. I'd rather put money into the car, than the trailer, but they do provide extra protection from the sun and rain.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

mlytle
03-11-2005, 09:06 PM
if the trailer doesn't have a ramp, it may not have been spec'd to haul cars. check the load rating on the axles! need min 3k axles and brakes on both axles.

don't know what the tow rating on the titan is, but it needs to be in the 9k lbs min range for enclosed trailer. trailer at 3k + car at 2-3k plus 1k parts and tools + 20% safety margin = ......

much less truck is needed for open trailer due to low wind resistance and lower weight.

lateapex911
03-11-2005, 09:31 PM
most open trailers that are "ready to go" are minimum 1000 or 1200...and they hold ..not much.

If the enclosed is appropriate, make an offer 10% less than ask, and split the difference.

I am SO happy my old open trailer got stolen...although I miss all the straps, chains, generator and other stuff that went with it...because i lucked into an enclosed trailer.

It holds WAY more stuff (out of the rain, and securely) it can all be organized to make things much easier at the track, you can change clothes in it, hang out in it when it rains, sleep in it, have a refrigerator, and on and on...

Plus, you can pack things in advance, and unload when it suits you...and you have less concerns about stuff getting stolen from the back of the truck on the road.

Downside? Yup,,gas mileage sucks!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited March 11, 2005).]

sevenracer
03-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The titan is rated to tow 9200 lbs, and I figure I'll be towing less than 6500 lbs total. My car is an ITA RX7.

I've been using a $1000 used trailer, and it has been a nightmare. I'm not doing that again.

The best new trailer price I've found is $1600, and the least expensive that I would actually buy is $1800. That's a 16 footer with open deck.

A trailer dealer told me that their non beaver tail trailers are only 8' wide, so I need to check that on the used one. It may be a deal killer.

lateapex911
03-12-2005, 06:04 PM
mine is narrow, and my ITA 7 fits fine.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

sevenracer
03-14-2005, 10:39 AM
ITANorm, When you say your trailer is narrow, I'm assuming it's an 8' model? Do you exit through the window of the car once it's loaded?

I checked and this trailer is 8' wide not 8.5'

My car is 66" wide, and the distance between the trailer wheel wells is 76".

The other specs such as frame construction, axles and GVWR look to be the same as the 8.5 X 20 car hauler version.

mlytle
03-14-2005, 01:38 PM
my trailer is 8ft wide and 20 long. keep e36 325is in it, along with 8-12 extra tires and tools and spare parts. yes, exit out the window of the car, or just pull it in with the winch.

you should have no probs with an rx7 in an 8ft wide trailer.

Tristan Smith
03-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Well if you are undecided........

16ft Dual Axle Open Trailer for Sale
16'x6' All steel construction, open deck.
Electric Brakes on one axle. 6ft stow able steel ramps.
Tires and Wheels one year old.
76" Locking Custom Tire rack
5'x2'x2' Locking Aluminum Storage Box
Locking Mounted Spare Tire
Solid, dependable, great towing trailer.
1800.00$ OBO
Call Tristan Smith @ (404) 275-0058

It could maybe use some paint....but I have seen worse. I believe I have a weight distributing chains/set up in my basement that I will throw in. It really is a good trailer. I finally got an enclosed one, so it's time to sell.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

sevenracer
03-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks,

I'm going to try to work a deal on the enclosed.

SPiN Racing
03-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Go Enclosed...
In Florida you will see MANY people at places like Sebring bring a couple cots and blankets and sleep IN the trailer at night.
Wouldnt want to sleep ON the open trailer.

Myself.. I got a single axle trailer for 200.00 That my 84 ITA RX-7 Fits perfect on.. and its a tilt. Soo New tires and rims for 150 and bam. I am functional.. and can save for a "real" trailer. LOL

------------------
Scott Neville
SPiN Racing
84 RX-7 ITA
86 RX-7 EP
88 RX-7 20B SP

Bill Miller
03-21-2005, 08:08 AM
I started w/ a low-budget open trailer. Whenever I went to the track, I lusted after the enclosed trailers. I eventually got a good deal on an enclosed trailer, so I bought it. While there are trade-offs, it's really hard to beat an enclosed trailer.

It provides a place to store the car, out of the weather. Same goes for the spares and gears. Unloading all your stuff out of the truck at midnight on Sun. night, after you've just towed 6 hours, when you have to be at work at 7:30 Mon. AM, gets old, FAST! An enclosed trailer also provides a place for you and your crew, at the track. I set mine up w/ a TV, DVD/VCR, combo microwave/toaster oven (great find at Walmart for $75!), coffee maker, etc.

For the car, I put a workbench in, and wired, installed lighting front and back. I've put in extra tie-downs for things like the toolbox and generator, and plan on building a flip-down tire rack that will attach to the wall. I'd love to get a roof-mounted RV AC unit for it. I have some folding camp cots, and we use it to sleep in at the track. I also have one of those oil-filled portable electric radiators that I used to take the chill off, when it's cold out.

Downside is, you have to have a place where you can store a big trailer. You will also need some staunch towing capacity (figure 7500# minimum). In NJ, it costs a bit more to register than an open trailer (due to higher GVW).

BTW, I've got a 24' Haulmark Race Trailer w/ a 10,000# GVW rating.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

jc836
03-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Our R&R 20' aluminum open trailer does very well behind the Dakota. It has more than enough room for the CRX and whatever else you could want to carry. Equipped with a Superwinch and a pair of 5' ramps(that serve as an airdam) this is one stout rig. I'm looking for a shorter one. The advantage of the aluminum is it is low maintenance and weighs 1250 dry. Electric brakes on both axles (7000 capacity)and a 2-5/16" ball are standard. A full deck is something to consider too. Interested-drop me an e-mail.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow