PDA

View Full Version : Chevy G20 Van - Tow Vehicle

RacerBill
03-08-2005, 10:30 PM
What does anybody think of a 93 Chevy G20 conversion van, 350 engine, 113000 mi. ?

------------------
Bill Stevens
Mbr 103106
BnS Racing
83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger

racer-025
03-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Thats pretty much what I use, but mine is a 97 Dodge 2500 Conversion. I removed the middle seats and moved the bench seat forward creating lots of cargo room. Then I put down a heavy rubber mat throughout. Its a decent cheap hauler. You can buy these things for under $5000. I've been using a van as my race hauler for over a decade. They are excellent to keep all your stuff secure and you dont have much money tied up. When you need to take the kids somewhere you can use it for that too. As well, to run down and pick up all those 2x4's at the hardware store.

Wreckerboy
03-09-2005, 01:19 PM
I've been researching similar vehicles (Suburbans). That motor should be pre-Vortec, which means you won't be subjected to leaky intake manifold gaskets. The only thing I don't like about the Chevy's is the lack of foot room in the driver's compartment. You can learn more about these trucks at Chevytalk.org, there is a van specific forum (it's where I started reading about the 'burbs).

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/postlist....t=0&Board=UBB70 (http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB70)

RacerBill
03-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the input. The van that I'm looking at is a conversion van with four captain's chairs and a back bench. My wife and I are both pretty short, so the foot room should not be an issue, and the back bench folds down into a bed and we can stretch out all the way across the van with no trouble. BTW, the price is $2000.

------------------
Bill Stevens
Mbr 103106
BnS Racing
83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger

shwah
03-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I have a 95 GMC 2500 conversion van with the TBI 350 and tow package. Has the tall rear end gears, which is nice because I tow in '3' instead of 'D' to avoid excessive shifting/heat buildup.

It tows great with an 18' open trailer and ~3,500 of car/stuff on it, and offers better accomodations than a tent. It also serves as a nice nap/daiper changing space for my infant son.

As with any tow vehicle the transmission and brakes are the vulnerable points. I am adding an aftermarket trans cooler (in addition to the factory one) just to be safe, and running Performance Friction front brakes with general good brake maintenance (good fluid, annual flush-fill)

IMO these things are ideal for race weekends.

Chris

[This message has been edited by shwah (edited March 10, 2005).]