PDA

View Full Version : E30 front end tie down

vodomagoo
02-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Im just getting a trailer for my e30 and was wondering how i should tie the front down, in the rear im using axel straps around the rear subframe and im not sure how i should go about it up front. I dont have the stock toe hooks up front anymore eather

chuck baader
02-21-2005, 10:35 AM
You didn't mention what year, but use the factory tie down point. Just behind the rear wheels you will find a steel loop off the bodywork. On the later model fronts, the loop will be near the front strut bushing. On earlier cars use the factory loops under the front bumper. DO NOT TIE TO THE REAR SUBFRAME. Chuck

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

vodomagoo
02-21-2005, 12:11 PM
It's a 87. I dont have the front stock points anymore due to a non stock front bumper, why is it bad to tie down to the rear subframe? I know at least 4 guys who are currently doing this

ed325its
02-21-2005, 04:03 PM
I had an '87 325ITS car. The front tie down points are on the frame rails near the control arm bushing. These are not the same front hooks that were on the earlier version cars (my '84 318ITB for example). The rear tie down points are in the body at the rear of the wheel well. Each point will accept T-Hooks or a ratchet strap hook. Do not use the rear subframe as that will cause too much wear and tear on the subframe mounts.

------------------
Ed Tisdale
#22 ITS '95 325is
Racing BMW's since 1984

chuck baader
02-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Why...look at Ed's answer, and, the rear subframe is part of the rear suspension.

Front tiedowns I use now are the lower control arms since I have also covered the stock points. I do not like the control arms as I perfer not to have the suspension work on the road. I plan to weld a couple of plates to the underside, probably where the later model ones are.

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar