PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wheel and brake shoe specs?

handfulz28
01-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Just wondering if the 5- and 6-bolt trailer hubs have a common bolt pattern, like a Ford or GM equivalent. Or does it depend on the hub manufacturer?
And what about the brake shoes? I think I've seen that there are 10" and 11" drums, do these have a common automotive equivalent?
Thanks,
Michael

planet6racing
01-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Well, there are two different patterns (that I know of) for the 5-lug: 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 5".

As for the shoes, I don't believe so. They looked trailer specific when I last looked at mine.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

handfulz28
01-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks Bill. I've seen a lot of Ford 5-bolt wheels on trailers and wondered if that was just coincidence or "by design".

Tobey
01-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Be careful. For some reason, my trailer came with a bolt pattern or 5x4.75. I believe it is a GM passenger car bolt pattern. I had to special order a spare tire and brake drums for it.

As for the brakes, my trailer came without them and I added them later. Not hard at all. I ordered everything online from www.etrailer.com (http://www.etrailer.com) . From what I could gather, all 10" brake hardware is the same; all 11" is the same, ect. Obviously, except for the bolt patterns. I don't know if their is an automotive equivalent, but their not that expensive to start with.