PDA

View Full Version : More enclosed trailer questions

handfulz28
01-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm looking at a used one of these:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/contcargo/value.htm
Supposedly he paid just over $6k for a wedge-nose version with 10k axles. Anybody with Continental Cargo experiences? They weren't mentioned in the other thread.

More general questions:
flat front vs. wedge vs. slant nose vs. V-nose? Any proven aero advantage to the optional fronts?

What about side walls: aluminum vs. plywood vs. FRP?

FWIW, I'll be towing with an SUV, so I'm thinking that may help with aero?
Thanks,
Michael

racer_tim
01-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Flat front is the worst, but it's normally the "cheapest" since it's the easiest to manufacture. The V-nose units are normally for snow-mobiles since they have a ramp in front, so you don't have to "back" them out. Not real practicle for a car.

Wedge and slant nose would be the best for wind resistance, since most likely that flat part will be low, and behind the truck bed or tow vehicle.

If your going to be towing with a SUV, you might want to think about the aluminum units. They weigh less, but are more expensive. Keep in mind, that the trailer, car, tools, fuel, etc. might exceed the towing capacity of your SUV. Check out the specs before you buy something, then "oops" the overall package is too much for your vehicle.

Brakes are just as important on the trailer as the tow vehicle. I had surge brakes for about 10 years, but just upgraded to electric 2 years ago. I'm VERY happy with the electric setup. Much more "flexible" than the surge setup. Especially if you have to back up the trailer, uphill. Much more difficult.

Good luck

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

handfulz28
01-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks Tim for confirming what I figured.
I've been planning ahead: my SUV is an '01 Yukon XL (suburban) 2500 with the 8.1L/496ci, 12kLB tow rating should get 'er done...