PDA

View Full Version : Which LT tires for 3/4 ton Yukon XL?

handfulz28
01-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday season.
My present this year was a 2001 Yukon XL 2500 with the 8.1L & 4wd. It's got Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts on it right now (245/75-16, I think they're LT/E-load), which need replacing.
They look good, wider than the average LT245, but I'm not sure I need an all-terrain tire. But I just put 1300 highway miles through hills & mountains and got 13-14mpg @ 75-80mph. Embarassed to admit, but I haven't verified what psi I'm running at right now. The truck rides great.
I live in Florida and don't stray too far off the beaten path. So any thoughts on the Pirellis or another brand are welcomed.
Thanks,
Michael

C. Ludwig
01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I've used up 3 sets of Michelin LTX A/S. I've gotten about 60-70k miles per set and am terrible about rotating them so I feel that's adequate. My only other experience with a like tire were Firestones. They were TERRIBLE! Couldn't keep the balanced for anything. The Michelins ride smoother, stay balanced (the current set has never been rebalanced) and the tractions is acceptible in all conditions. At full tread depth I've been through some serious snow without any problems. The current set is embarrassingly bald and they just got me through a week of 14" snow without much drama. I like 'em.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

ITANorm
01-03-2005, 04:27 PM
I'll second the Michelins, and have had horrible experience with Goodyears (one set replaced under warranty for bead cracks, and one set that was so out of round they couldn't be salvaged - after 15K miles).

racer-025
01-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I'll third the Michelin LTX's! Can't beat them. If you want a slightly cheaper LT tire, I had a set of BFG Long Trail T/A's. I liked them too.

mlytle
01-06-2005, 11:44 PM
don't get pirelli's!!!! i have the highway version of the scorpion. it sucks when towing big time. stops ok, but too soft for towing, sway is terrible. for reference, rig towed great with the old firestones on it up until they delaminated... vehicle is gmc k2500 suburban towing 20ft enclosed trailer with its car in it. pressures correct, anti sway and load leveling hitch, lots of towing experience, etc.

handfulz28
01-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured Michelin would get at least one nod, but three? They cost so freakin' much though... Nobody's tried a Kumho?
Well, since I'm a Costco fanatic, I had them install a set of BFG Commercial T/As ($110/each OTD). I've got to get used to the new tire tread squirm...
Thanks,
Michael

shwah
01-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I 4th the Michilen LTX M/S.

Replaced the OEM craptastic Goodyears on a 2000 Jeep XJ with them and found dry traction, wet traction, snow traction, ride quality and towing performance to all be improved.

They are worth the $$ and will be the next tire on my new tow vehicle - 3/4 ton 1995 GMC Van.

Chris

chuck baader
01-14-2005, 04:50 PM
I love Mitchlens on all my vehicles. I just wish they had a less French name http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Chuck

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar