PDA

View Full Version : Living with an enclosed trailer

Wayne
10-17-2004, 05:25 PM
I've been semi seriously looking for an enclosed trailer for awhile now. I've come across a 2001 pace american shadow, 24 footer. Has spare tire, hitch stuff, etrack, floor tiedowns etc. Used 20 times since new.

I have a couple questions with regards to using a enclosed trailer. Not so much at the track, but at home.

1. First of all, any input on the pace american shadow model?

2. My main motivation for an enclosed trailer is to keep ALL of my stuff stored in the trailer during the off season. I realize the enclosed is nice at the track as well, but I want to get ALL of my gear out of my shop during the off season. I have a second set of tools, jacks etc. that will stay in the trailer.

What I'm wondering is if people really keep all their gear and car in the trailer all off season? I've seen posts where people talk about leaving the car in there but removing 1/2 their gear because of concerns about condensation etc.

When I say all of my gear, I mean all of it. Drivers suit, helmet, tools, lawn chairs, awnings, fuel jugs, coolers, car set-up notebooks, brief case, spare parts, pit bike etc. I want all of this stuff out of my shop, and I don't want to be loading/unloading it every weekend during the race season.

Living in WA, we of course get a bunch of rain. How big an issue is condensation and moisture inside these things? Those of you who have enclosed trailers, do you really keep all your gear in there year round?

BTW, I'm well aware of the theft problems associated with these trailers. I will take as many precautions as possible to prevent theft of course. However, I refuse to keep the thing unloaded because of this issue. That pretty much defeats the purpose of having an enclosed trailer in the first place.

3. Color. This trailer is black. I understand that black may not be desirable for the track because of heat. But in WA we don't get high heat at most of our races. I don't think for me the color black would be a deal breaker in this regard.

However, I live on a single lane private road that is lined with trees. Trees that many times hang over the road, or have branches that stick into the road at the taller heights. My fear is the black will not be able to hold up to the trees and get all scratched up. I could of course do a bit better job of keeping the trees trimmed back. But the reality is with this many trees, some of them will brush the trailer at one time or another.

Does the black scratch easily and look like heck?

Thanks
Wayne

racer_tim
10-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Wayne, I would only store the jacks, stands, etc in the trailer. Everything else would create a mildue problem up there in the NW.

I would keep everything else, including the race car in the garage, excluding your race gear. That way, at least the air will circulate when your wife takes her car in and out of the garage.

Don't leave your race gear in the garage. Hang it up in your closet, and make sure that everything else is treated just like your everyday clothes.

I wish I had an enclosed trailer to worry about things like that.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Richy Gonzalez
10-18-2004, 12:40 AM
I would put 25 of those dampdry like you hang in your closet. I'm sure that would keep everything nice. jk

FYI - The black seems to look better to me. Also, they don't tend to stick out if you leave them park in your house.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX For Sale $8300 (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

chuck baader
10-18-2004, 09:50 AM
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PERSONAL GEAR IN THE TRAILER!!!! As said above, it will mildue due to lack of air and light. Also, do not leave gear you have worn unwashed for any period of time. Any stains on the suit, hood, etc. will set over time and are not removable. Chuck Baader, Professional Dry Cleaner

Bill Umstead
10-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Wayne,

Go for it. I purchased my first enclosed trailer about 5 years ago and wish I had it earlier. Mine happens to be black. Don't know much about Pace American. I have a Classic 26' enclosed trailer.

Re: your questions

1. I don't keep my driver's gear in the trailer (in the house for storage). However, I do keep raingear, parkas, boots in the trailer all year. I am in the NE and we get a fair amount of rain and I have had no issue with mildew. If the trailer leaks, then that is another matter.

2. I keep all of my race gear and racecar(s) in the trailer normally. I set the trailer up specifically so that my tools, spares, raintires, chairs, EZ-Up, etc are stored. I have built in cabinets, closet and lots of wall mounted E-Trak for attaching things.

3. I had one trailer stolen. Fortuneately without the racecar, but the d**n thieves did get tools, spares, tires, EZ-Up, etc. Make sure that you have sufficient insurance to cover both the trailer and your belongings.

4. Black does not get hotter than any other dark color. At the track, the tail ramp and doors are open, so the air circulates fairly well. During the summer, I have not seen it hotter than about ambient temperature (which has gotten to 90 or so.

5. I park my trailer in my driveway since the first one got stolen. I need to keep my trees and bushes trimmed as well. I do get some minor scratches but the black aluminum siding seems to be fairly resistant to scratching. Not totally, but not too badly, either. My big issue is that black will show dirt easily so that it needs to be washed frequently, which is not a minor job.

6. I am serviously thinking about a cover for the trailer for the fall and winter.

Hope this is helpful...

Good luck in your decision.

Bill Umstead

Wayne
10-18-2004, 02:33 PM
It would be nice to have the space to store the race car in the shop. But I just can't do it. I need that space for other jobs. I've stored the car outside for the past 6 years, and so far have not had a problem. I keep it on the open trailer with a car cover over it. At the end of each season I pull out the belts, the leather steering wheel, and the seat cover, so they don't get moldy during the winter. I put a couple of those moisture absorbing thingies on the floor of the car.

I can see how it would be important to not store the suit and stuff out there though. I keep my gear in my mostly heated shop, and air it out good after use.

Seller is sending pictures today. Finally found one that had the 10K axles under it. Most of them have been 7K.

There is also a little matter of me not being "absolutely sure" I can make the turn from the main road into the single lane private road with a 24 foot trailer. At least without dropping one side of the wheels into the ditch slightly...

I had a 26 foot travel trailer and made this turn ok for the most part. But the axle locations are different from an enclosed car hauler. I've taken measurements every which way from Sunday on this issue. Near as I can tell, I'll "probably" be able to make it.

Sure would be nice to tell for sure though. I can't think of a way to emulate the car trailer axle locations behind my truck, to actually try the turn. Don't know anybody with this length of trailer. Have not been able to find any type of trailer I could rent that has the axle locations I need to emulate.

The other thing I wanted to asked you guys about is loading the car. I have a vary shallow driveway in front of my shop. If I get a trailer like this, I will purchase one of those powered trailer movers to maneuver the car trailer, boat trailer etc. I can do it with my truck, but it is a pia.

It would really make my life easier if I could load the trailer without it being hooked to the truck. I've seen some trailers that had support jacks on the rear corners, supposedly to keep the trailer from tipping while loading? If I fabricate some stout extend-able jacks for the back corners, is there any reason I couldn't load the car without the trailer being hooked to the truck? I have tandem wheel locks that I can use to lock the wheels from rolling as well. In addition, I'll be using a winch to get the car in the trailer. This might provide a bit smother loading then driving the car into the trailer.

Wayne

dickita15
10-18-2004, 03:27 PM
with my 24' enclosed and a 2300# race car it is no problem to load when not hooked to the truck. I can winch it or drive it gently.
dick

lateapex911
10-19-2004, 03:25 AM
My trailer is about 22'. I live on a 1/4 acre in an old Victorian on a city street, with a drive thats 9' wide, and have (it sounds) similar space issues as you.

When I got my trailer (used) I went and got some pipe and welded up some "jacks" for the corners so that I could load and off load the car with out it being attached at the front for balance.

One day, while reloading it, I found the jacks inside the trailer...UH oh! I had forgotten to set them on unloading. Duh. Guess they aren't needed!

I load a 2450 (with stuff in it) RX-7.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

cherokee
10-20-2004, 11:42 AM
I store most of my stuff in the trailer, the suit and stuff I keep in the house and the race car trades places with motorcycles and the Triumph for the winter. That way I do not have to put anti-freeze in the race car, it stays in a nice warm garage.
During the year my suit and things stay in the motorhome and I have never had a mildue or mold, I store everything in plastic tub like things that keep everything ok. Go to one of the out door stores and they will have these containers. You are more likely to get mold and mildue in the summer time when it is hot and sticky not when it is -20 in your trailer...at least this is my experence.