PDA

View Full Version : New truck, or new torque conv/tranny?

handfulz28
08-25-2004, 10:40 AM
I've got a '99 Silverado w/5.3L that's got over 75k miles. It's been through a fair amount of towing an approx 6,000lb car/trailer combo.
I want to get an enclosed trailer, which I know will be stressing the limits of the current powertrain, even if it were new.
Is it worth considering upgrading the TC/tranny, or should I save my money for a new(er) truck?
I'd really like a 6.0L Suburban/Yukon XL, but I don't know if I'd be doing myself any favors with that combo either.
And as bad as I want a diesel, I just don't race THAT MUCH these days, and the SEDIV is pretty flat.

Thanks,
Michael

kennyr7
08-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Michael,

How much would the new trailer weigh? I think you're already at the limit of what that combo can handle. I used to tow a 20' enclosed trailer approx. 7K lbs with a 99 1/2 Suburban (350cid). At 53K miles, I had to put in a new diff and axles.

A lot more important than going is stopping, I think you'd be way better off w/ a 3/4 ton, just from the brakes point of view.

its66
08-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Michael,
You might want to talk to Tim B. I think he wants to sell his big diesel. The price was pretty reasonable. Let me know if you need his number.

Jim

handfulz28
08-25-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm not too worried about brakes since the enclosed would have dual-axle brakes. My current trailer only has single-axle and it stops pretty good. I'm guessing my loaded enclosed would weigh 8,000lbs, which just happens to be the max recommended for my truck.

Thanks Jim, I'll shoot him a message.