PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Brakes and Shocks

IP2GSR
08-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi Guys!

It's time to do the brakes and shocks on the tow vehicle. It's a 2000 F250 superduty.

I have seen a number of positive comments the EBC brake super duty pads. This seems funny since a few people I knew tried them as competition pads and where quite disappointed. Hawk HPS is another choice but how dusty are they. I wash the truck about once a year so this is a consideration. LOL

For the shocks I was leaning towards Bilstein or Rancho but would be open for others.

Later

Dave
#72 ITS GSR

08-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Speaking from first hand experience, stay away from the Rancho ISX shocks. I tried a set on my 2500 Ram and now it rides like a "truck"....they won't be staying on there long.
Had much better results with the 9000's on my previous 3500 dually, was able to adjust the shocks stiffer in the front to compensate for the weight of the Cummins, while softening the rear for the best ride.

I've heard good things about the Bilstein's and also the IAS shocks, but they aren't cheap.

Haven't had to change the pads yet as it only has 30K on it, but I'm planning on PFC or another similar pad.

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited August 17, 2004).]

IP2GSR
08-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Was that the RSX shocks from Rancho you had bad luck with? I have also heard that Ford is offering the Rancho shocks as an option from the factory but they are a poor design if you listen to the Internet noise.....

The Bilstein are about $75, the Eldenbrock IAS is a little cheaper at $69 and the Rancho 9000 is $83. You know that price difference is not a compelling difference.

I guess the hunt continues.

Thanks for the feedback..

Dave

08-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Yeah, the Rancho RSX are the "supposed" equal to the IAS's. I don't see that they are "self adjusting" at all, the back of the truck is way too stiff unladen. Of course, nothing rides well on what PA calls Interstates.

Prices are all over the range, take your time and comparison shop.
I've gotten the last couple sets of shocks I've bought for my trucks at 4WheelParts. Their prices may not the cheapest, but their service makes up for the couple extra bucks I've spent.

JLawton
08-18-2004, 06:58 AM
I got the Rancho option on my 2002 Supercrew......Hate 'em!!! I feel like I'm riding in a '79' Caddy. They started to go at 15K.

I had Bilstein's on my GM 1500. The were great!! They were just as stiff with 80K on them as when they were new. Made it tow a lot better also.

I will be switching to Bilsteins (as soon as I pay for the unexpected engine rebuild on the race car!!)

67ITB
08-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Dave,
I have a 1987 GMC van ¾ ton and I have the Bilsteins. They made a huge difference. And have been extremely durable.
I don’t remember how many miles they have been on for, but it’s been a while and they are still performing great.
Also the vehicle is only used for towing the racecar. So I don’t know how they would be for a daily driver.

Jeff L, was that the engine that was in the car when you got it???? What happened??

Matt Bal

mgyip
08-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by IP2GSR:
It's time to do the brakes and shocks on the tow vehicle. It's a 2000 F250 superduty.

Steer clear of the Edelbrock IAS shocks - they're JUNK. The rears froze within 15K miles so I was left with no rear suspension travel!! I've since switched to Bilstein and am kicking myself for not having done so much earlier.

The OE brake pads are junk on the SD. I recently replaced all 4 corners with PFC Z-rated pads which are commercially available from Autozone. I haven't noticed a tremendous amount of dust from these pads and am more than impressed with their stopping ability.

JLawton
08-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 67ITB:

Jeff L, was that the engine that was in the car when you got it???? What happened??

I had put a new head on it, same bottom end. We think I over reved it when I got a flat tire and put the car on its side. Hasn't been a good season....... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif
Tommy gave me a good car and I'm doing everything I can to ruin it!!! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

JIgou
08-19-2004, 01:36 PM
I put Bilstein shocks on my 1/2 ton Dodge a couple years ago (stock shocks had ~40k on 'em) and was VERY happy.

Will likely do the same to the Excursion in the future.

Got 'em from stranoparts.com - he's an autocrosser, so it's still kinda in the family. I'm sure there are others who can get them for you as well.

Jarrod

IP2GSR
08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys... I think I've found a pretty good price on the Bilsteins so that is the way I'm heading.....

The adjustable Rancho was my second choice but I just don't see myself climbing under there to adjust the shocks all that often. I'd rather work on the racecar than the truck, even if it were only to adjust the shocks.

Dave
BTW Jeff: Isn't that what having a racecar is all about, "ruining a perfectly good car"! It's just that we have a lot of fun doing it..... IMHO